Poll

Which robot is going to win Robot Wars 2016?

Apollo
Beast
Behemoth
Big Nipper
Bonk!
Carbide
Chimera
Chompalot
Crazy Coupe 88
Dantomkia
Disconstructor
Draven
Eruption
Foxic
Gabriel
Glitterbomb
Infernal Contraption
Ironside 3
Kan-Opener
Kill-E Crank-E
King B Remix
MR Speed Squared
Nuts
Or Te
Overdozer
PP3D
Pulsar
Razer
Sabretooth
Shockwave
Storm 2
Supernova
Sweeney Todd
Terror Turtle
Terrorhurtz
The General
Thermidor 2
Thor
Tough As Nails
TR2

Author Topic: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 31246 times)

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »
TR2's team look like the biggest Geordies that ever existed lol. Fun episode.

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:35 AM »

So i just watched the first episode of the 2016 version, and Razor again throws himself in while trying to put another bot in the pit. really his curse haha

about the cold issues:
5 mins before the match letting the flamethrowers warm up the arena haha (a)
Again? don't think that happened before. Also speaking about spoilers, should they even be used in this thread at that point? I feel it leads to people overlooking way too much posted stuff.
That would make the arena temporarily warm but sadly wouldn't work for the Co2 bottles that are inside the robots and already cool from the workshop.
Vs Tornado in the series 6 (?) grand final, when tornado was using it's bullsh** cheat ring of aids.

And high power VS like carbide hit themselves just as hard as the other bot, so assuming it could take hits from carbide fine, a knockout or push into the pit wouldn't be out of the question.

Against there own wifes too btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDMl92IREk&list=PL18605D3D405D6289&index=43

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2016, 02:41:12 AM »
Those where not their wifes

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2016, 05:52:30 AM »
Not really the point, saw another fight where he ended in the pit after he already won, its just his curse haha.

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2016, 06:19:29 AM »
So I know we've moved on, but I need to weigh in here re: Tornado's frame. I finally saw the match again last night (I had forgotten about it).

Wow lol. I can see why it gets so heavily debated... My thoughts:

Yes, it's cheap (but also clever).
No, it shouldn't have been banned, it's not cheating.
Yes, Razor should have won as Tornado had all four wheels suspended above the pit rendering it immobile.

I'm a hypnodisc fanboy so no bias here either.

Carry on.
Tournament History:

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2016, 07:05:06 AM »
Those where not their wifes
True:
In actual fact, the Widow's Revenge team were NOT related to Team Razer at all- they just made the story up when they saw they were in the same heat as them, Team Razer agreed to go along with it, and when one of their members (Jenny Smith) actually fell ill, Vincent Blood's girlfriend Emily stepped in as a substitute for them to help with the charade. Yeah, it's all a big lie, but an entertaining one.
Think this was also the only time where Razer ended up winning a fight but fell into the pit.
While this one was ok, I didn't like Series 5 and 6 for the direction they were heading in, first Philippa, later Craig, talked teams down and interviews only happened after they reached the second fight and then there was all this fake drama stuff from Extreme.

So I know we've moved on, but I need to weigh in here re: Tornado's frame. I finally saw the match again last night (I had forgotten about it).

Wow lol. I can see why it gets so heavily debated... My thoughts:

Yes, it's cheap (but also clever).
No, it shouldn't have been banned, it's not cheating.
Yes, Razor should have won as Tornado had all four wheels suspended above the pit rendering it immobile.

I'm a hypnodisc fanboy so no bias here either.

Carry on.
True, but after having their robot beaten two times the same way they were most likely tired of it and wanted to get something against it, since you can't really outdrive skid steering(see my post for more info), and seeing how all Razer fights in Series 5 and 6 were the same I'm happy they did, also was totally in the rules and used before this so that's all fine.
As for the end, if they got the Hook off of the Frame then they would've won, I can see why that rule is there, else a bot could simply hold one over a pit and have that count as defeated, but it was really close, think if the match went on for another minute or so they would've had it.

Since we're already taking about Hypnodisc, you probably remember when Tornado wanted to use their anti spinner tyre weapon. Well, recently the Hypnodisc team did a Ask Me Anything on Reddit, turns out they didn't think that it would fit the sportsmanlike competition and Tornado agreed to not use it after that, so it was totally fine by the rules and they decided to be nice guys, going for the scoop instead.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2016, 07:35:47 AM »
"...we fitted our Anti Spinner Weapon - but the Hypno boys raised an official objection, and we were prevented from using it, as it was viewed according to the rules as a defensive addition rather than an offensive weapon..."
— Team Tornado

IIRC the anti crush web was required to "support the spinning weapon" as a means of working around..

It always bothered me because it just took no skill to win that match.. when you really think about it.. the amount of driving talent for Simon & Ian to take out the weapon and pick it up was far greater then tornado plodding around.

Anywho, everyone back on topic now :)

Im predicting an Eruption v Storm 2 Heat final

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »

So i just watched the first episode of the 2016 version, and Razor again throws himself in while trying to put another bot in the pit. really his curse haha

about the cold issues:
Again? don't think that happened before. Also speaking about spoilers, should they even be used in this thread at that point? I feel it leads to people overlooking way too much posted stuff.
That would make the arena temporarily warm but sadly wouldn't work for the Co2 bottles that are inside the robots and already cool from the workshop.
Vs Tornado in the series 6 (?) grand final, when tornado was using it's bullsh** cheat ring of aids.

And high power VS like carbide hit themselves just as hard as the other bot, so assuming it could take hits from carbide fine, a knockout or push into the pit wouldn't be out of the question.

Are you honestly still bitter about what happened over a decade ago? It's not worth getting upset about.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »

about the cold issues:

Are you honestly still bitter about what happened over a decade ago? It's not worth getting upset about.
Not really bitter, but it's still retarded.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »

I dunno, PP3D should be a force to be reckoned with. PP3D vs Apollo/Eruption Heat Final is my prediction.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
"...we fitted our Anti Spinner Weapon - but the Hypno boys raised an official objection, and we were prevented from using it, as it was viewed according to the rules as a defensive addition rather than an offensive weapon..."
— Team Tornado

IIRC the anti crush web was required to "support the spinning weapon" as a means of working around..

It always bothered me because it just took no skill to win that match.. when you really think about it.. the amount of driving talent for Simon & Ian to take out the weapon and pick it up was far greater then tornado plodding around.

I remember reading about that as well, however there's an issue with that.
Before the finals, when the producers made such a big drama about the frame, the judges did mention that all configurations got checked when Tornado signed up, so it was allowed back then.
That and the "no defensive addons" rule only being added in Series 7 is what don't really fit into that.
Further, in Series 7 they removed the frame and only had the spinner(which never got used, only the first battle would've been a good situation but it was apparently low on battery power).
They had to fight something with a zero ground clearance wedge and skid steering which meant that they would point the wedge at them all the time, making it basically impossible to outdrive them, if Razer didn't have the skid steering however, this would be a completely different story.

Anyways, Storm2 should have good chances for the 2016 reboot, but something just tells me that they are one of those teams that didn't have enough time and will lose for some reason early on in the tournament.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »
Anyways, Storm2 should have good chances for the 2016 reboot, but something just tells me that they are one of those teams that didn't have enough time and will lose for some reason early on in the tournament.

Storm has been running for years pretty much in it's current form, I can't see any reason they wouldn't have had enough time.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
I dunno, PP3D should be a force to be reckoned with. PP3D vs Apollo/Eruption Heat Final is my prediction.

PP3D looks like it will be a decent weapon but pinballing and finding the pit is a high risk.. could very well end up the same way as supernova

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
P P 3 D P E E P S

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »
Will post a more detailed description later:

Not exactly sure what to think of this episode, I'm not happy with how the show/producers do some things, but it's still far enough from saying that "it can go screw itself" especially after we've seen how bad it can get in Series 7, it's nowhere near it so that's still good.
What really made it for me were the competitors, they were AMAZING! and we had 4 good bots which all would've deserved to win.

By the way, I might remember it wrong but isn't PP3D from people that are part in this forum? You did an amazing job and I loved seeing you fight.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
You remember it wrong.

Michael from Eruption used to be a part of the forum years ago but doesn't come here anymore.
//

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »
You remember it wrong.

Michael from Eruption used to be a part of the forum years ago but doesn't come here anymore.
Alright, thanks Craaig, I only remembered that there was some talk about it a few pages ago but couldn't find it. By the way do you have pictures that you could share of
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2016, 03:27:11 PM »
//

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
Well at least Storm 2 can come back to finally put the controversy behind them. Looking forward to see them using the disc and two flippers.

Oh, wait.

Offline Probably Rob

• The Forgotten Obscure Orgasmic Mime
  • Rep: 10
  • You might want your lips around my silent chorus
    • RobotMPire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »