Poll

Which robot is going to win Robot Wars 2016?

Apollo
Beast
Behemoth
Big Nipper
Bonk!
Carbide
Chimera
Chompalot
Crazy Coupe 88
Dantomkia
Disconstructor
Draven
Eruption
Foxic
Gabriel
Glitterbomb
Infernal Contraption
Ironside 3
Kan-Opener
Kill-E Crank-E
King B Remix
MR Speed Squared
Nuts
Or Te
Overdozer
PP3D
Pulsar
Razer
Sabretooth
Shockwave
Storm 2
Supernova
Sweeney Todd
Terror Turtle
Terrorhurtz
The General
Thermidor 2
Thor
Tough As Nails
TR2

Author Topic: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 31248 times)

Offline DaSnowingSteak

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • TheSnowingSteak 2.0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »
Lol.

Seriously I didn't know the first heat had already aired so I didn't watch it till yesterday still I enjoyed, it was a little then what I'm used to and I miss the music that played during battles but that said I'm really happy Robot Wars is back.

The Steak is reborn.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2016, 05:26:13 AM »
TONIGHT:

Some Dutch lads with GF93's favourite bot, Harry Potter (Sorry Will totally borrowing from Dave), A Whale Wrangler, a trio of foxy boiz, some spinny ones and more take to the arena.
8 and a half hours to go.

Who is everyone's prediction to take this heat?
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »
TONIGHT:

Some Dutch lads with GF93's favourite bot, Harry Potter (Sorry Will totally borrowing from Dave), A Whale Wrangler, a trio of foxy boiz, some spinny ones and more take to the arena.

Razer

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »
TONIGHT:

Checked the bots for tonight, it's kinda hard to do a prediction if you don't know how well those bots work/if they get totally smashed up in one fight. I'm surprised to see more thwackers, do they all now have 4 motors to swing the weapon without using the drive? Apparently the active weapon rule is still in place. Loving to see more lifters, they seemed to be kinda gone after the starts of robot combat and my first bot would most likely be a lifter as well.

Thinking that Tough as Nails will take this, with Foxic as second place, the other bots all seem to have a certain weakness which can be really used against them. Could go into the details here but think that's enough.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
Harry Potter's got this one IMO

kinda want foxic to do well too but I don't see it happening because he didn't use the cool one

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
Any chance to watch the episode later from somewhere? I've been up since 3am (UK Time) and I'm feeling pretty drowsy.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
iPlayer or all your usual sources.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »
FOXICGONNAGOALLTHEWAYANDYOUKNOWIT

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2016, 03:31:46 PM »
Fights were mostly uninteresting IMO and
was probably the most boring fight i have seen. The final was ok, hopefully there will be much more interesting fights to come but it seems as if episode 1 was the best. I may watch the first couple of fights in episode 3,  but I doubt it will get better. Still, nice to see the teams having fun making the show.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
Alright, Episode's over:
Editing was MUCH better this time around, it was similar to how it was for the later half of the battles in Episode 1 which was good.
Is Thor built from the same team?
Looks like we are getting technical talk of where robots are used outside of Robot Combat every time now.
Also could they stop firing the fires every time? just keep them at full power.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
Fights were mostly uninteresting IMO and
was probably the most boring fight i have seen. The final was ok, hopefully there will be much more interesting fights to come but it seems as if episode 1 was the best. I may watch the first couple of fights in episode 3,  but I doubt it will get better. Still, nice to see the teams having fun making the show.
Oh come on, don't tell me you're one of those destruction guys too. The machines this time were working much better, you wouldn't have
While that was a boring fight it wasn't the most boring fight by miles, watch this instead:
Also apparently the extra fights we noticed in the intro are on the DVD that they're making.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2016, 04:31:57 PM »
Two episodes in and I am concerned about a few parts of the show:

• They seem to think we care about the judges for some reason. Rather than the stoic faces they were that acted as judge, jury and executioner in the corner, they are trying to make them the friendly  "Robotics is fun!" type who actually appeared on camera. Their segments on robots in the pub and the like wind up being toilet break moments that disrupt the flow too much. If you wanted educational and informative you watched Techno Games or Scrapheap Challenge.
  • The round robin format they use is an affront to God and man and the fights are suffering because of it. It makes each robot fight too much and if a robot gets damaged in an early fight you wind up with wet noodle fights such as
    And the final is always a watered down rehash of a round robin match which isn't satisfying at all.
  • In the intervening 12 years between series, I refuse to believe that there are no better robots than Chimera and Disconstructor that could have been on the show. I know there is a need for a varied selection, but it makes it look like we've been sitting on our laurels for a decade. If you look at the list of competitors coming up, I know for a fact there are some better robots that didn't make the cut while  the likes of Chompalot and Sweeney Todd did. There's nothing wrong with a stacked roster!
  • Johnathan Pearce is past his expiry date. To me he was cringeworthy this episode. Battlebots has the right setup with a play by play and a colour commentator who can bounce off one another, where JP has to carry it all himself and it comes off as slightly stilted. The lack of music during fights which was present in the original series didn't help the matches, either.

I hope we see a second series, but it has a lot to work on.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
I disagree about JP, I distinctly remember thinking during the show how well he's doing. The BB commentators make me cringe. Agree on all other points though.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
Mr Speed Squared(odd name by the way) looked like a first time entry spinner would look like
Competing in four series with three versions of Trouble And Strife don't count?

Okay.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
Mr Speed Squared(odd name by the way) looked like a first time entry spinner would look like
Competing in four series with three versions of Trouble And Strife don't count?

Okay.
Oh I didn't know they were a returning team(this show should really say that, much like the 3rd wars did). I never understood why they didn't use the first version of Trouble And Strife more.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline RTC

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Owen Wilson on Ritalin and 'Roids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »
Love Craig Danby, definitely would have been a good fit for the Plunderbird boys.

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »
So.... Biohazard has a long lost cousin who lives in the UK and attends furry conventions, huh?

That's rather interesting.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »
Alright so I got my wisdom teeth out and finally had enough free time to sit down and find the full episode 1. I thought it was rather enjoyable. This Dara guy isn't as crazy as Craig was but then again, Craig was also smoking crack so I don't even know if bring him back would have the same effect without the hard stuff. He gets down in the pits and gives half decent interviews, not really doing anything wrong. Angela seems like an alright fit for Philippa's role. And I gotta say though, no one can replace Philippa, she was excellent. However, the new girl seems to connect well with the builders which was one of the reasons I quite liked Philippa in the old run. It seems like people are saying old JP is a little warn out. Well, I've been trying to listen to that bastard commentate Champions league for the past year and the sound mixing on American coverage is so bad that this sounds just fine. I guess I just don't have any gripes with that. I miss the old count down and cease voice, but it's not really a huge deal.

The fights had like a weird filter on them that made it look like an action movie or something. It felt kind of off. Also the camera shots behind the pit release and in the pit were kinda screwy. I didn't really think they were needed. I don't mind the instant replays either, those were always in the original run and just feels natural at this point. Fights seemed entertaining, at least to me. The format I must agree though, is a bit odd. It really did seem that it wore the competitors down much quicker and by the heat final, they were just kind of limping through the fight. Maybe if there's a season 2 eventually with more entries we can get a more classic format back; that would be quite nice.

The one point that I think new RW has over new BB is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. Sometimes the way BB is presented makes it looks like the builders are like sports celebs. RW at least shows what most of these guys are, couple dudes who throw together a 100kg robot, drive it around for an hour, and have a good time. I'll give them credit for that.

However, I really miss the industrial feel for the old show. The new arena and sounds kind of remind me of like an Apple Store. The pit is just a linoleum floor like, what the hell. The old one had all these danger stripes and smoke and stuff. And the pit release button is just like some Jeep tire, seems kind of strange. New house bots looks good though. Nice not having them be the main decider in a fight. I felt in the old series that it seemed like half the battle was just avoiding the house bots.

I quite enjoyed the new show. Haven't seen episode two yet. I assume there will be a lot of gripes with this first series as nostalgia will alter some views for sure. Still, I'd give it a chance. Let a second series be made so they can maybe adjust some of the things that fans dislike about it. Quite excited for the next episodes.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2016, 05:54:32 AM »
So I was finally able to watch the show yesterday and man is this boring at some points!

There's a major lack of enthusiasm. Everyone there looks like they want this to be over asap. and yes having more than just 4 battles per episode is awesome (looking at you battlebots) I don't want to see the same 4 bots fighting over and over. and if you do so get the mood right god damit! The intros suck, the annoucning voice sucks and you never understand where the teams are from. you can only hear the names of the bots but that's becaus you've read them before.

the robots... we had Tough A$$ Nails who was there. and then it was gone. We had Breaker Box and Ringmaster wich was cool! ... What? those were two s*tty versions of those bots? oh. well at least we had thor. That bot did great until it failed in the heat final (wich I told my friend who was watching with me would happen cause that sort of stuff always happens). And there is another flaw: why the hell would you fight a bot you have already beaten again and again? this setup sucks so much.

I was really happy when it was over. I will watch the other shows but I doubt there will be a second season.
If so there has to be a huge change in pretty much everything.