Poll

Who do you think will win the Giant Nut?

Bite Force
Bronco
Captain Shrederator
Chomp
Complete Control
Ghost Raptor
HyperShock
Icewave
Lock-Jaw
Mohawk
Nightmare
OverDrive
Overhaul
Plan X
Radioactive
Razorback
Stinger the Killer Bee
Sweet Revenge
Tombstone
Warhead
Warrior Clan
Witch Doctor & Shaman
Wrecks
Counter Revolution

Author Topic: BattleBots 2015 Discussion  (Read 170252 times)

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: BattleBots 2015 Discussion
« Reply #1080 on: July 27, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
I agree with Reier that bringing another bot isn't the same thing as using different attachments for a single bot. My three pound bot has four different attachments that can be used depending on who it's facing, and all I have to do is attach them onto the robot.

Offline Urjak

• Shell Spinner King
    • http://www.youtube.com/wa
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: July 27, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »
I agree with Reier that bringing another bot isn't the same thing as using different attachments for a single bot. My three pound bot has four different attachments that can be used depending on who it's facing, and all I have to do is attach them onto the robot.

What I'm wondering is where the line gets drawn. What if you build a bare-bones frame and then bolt on a spinner or rammer attachment depending on which type of bot you face? That certainly isn't a small attachment.
Any comments would be appreciated. :D

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1082 on: July 27, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »
I don't have a problem interchangeable weaponry, it can usually lead to more interesting and varied fights. Changing your weaponry specifically to fight one robot seems scummy to me though, it just seems like a cop-out. I also think the fact the Ghost Raptor's blade broke because it was made of tin foil shouldn't make it entitled to add new weaponry. They didn't have any clear interchangeable weaponry before the series, so I think it's unfair that they got to create something new mid-series instead of actually just fixing the blade. (Shouldn't be that hard to fix it anyway, seems like it was stapled together in the first place)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1083 on: July 27, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »

What I'm wondering is where the line gets drawn. What if you build a bare-bones frame and then bolt on a spinner or rammer attachment depending on which type of bot you face? That certainly isn't a small attachment.
i highly doubt your robot would be good if it was built like that
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: July 27, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »

Modular weapons can work well, but it takes a good bit of effort.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1085 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
Yeah, but you've already made those, you're not constructing one between fights that'll only work against one specific robot that you just so happen to be fighting next.

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »
Yeah, but you've already made those, you're not constructing one between fights that'll only work against one specific robot that you just so happen to be fighting next.

So long as it passes inspection, there's functionally no difference. Each one of those attachments have bots they're meant for on Nyx.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1087 on: July 27, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
why is this a big deal
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »
This has been going on since battlebots uno

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #1089 on: July 27, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
why is this a big deal

Some people think that the fact that Bite Force was able to put on the wedge violated the active weapon rule.

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
I don't think they broke any rules, they got a W fair and square and didn't break any rules.  I'm just worried that everyone else will get on board with this; get some glamor shots with their weapon on, but when they actually get to the arena, take it off and make themselves a wedge.  If we want a season 2, we have to make the execs well-assured that they'll get weapon diversity

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #1091 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:27 PM »
I don't think they broke any rules, they got a W fair and square and didn't break any rules.  I'm just worried that everyone else will get on board with this; get some glamor shots with their weapon on, but when they actually get to the arena, take it off and make themselves a wedge.  If we want a season 2, we have to make the execs well-assured that they'll get weapon diversity

If the bracket was different, Bite Force would have not been fighting spinners, and would be using its regular weapon.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1092 on: July 27, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »
why is this a big deal
I think it's because of what Natef said and that the interchangeable weapons are only used for one robot. I agree the latter is extremely situational and kinda cheap, but I don't care since you can use interchangeable weaponry as this fancy thing you kids probably don't know well called Strategy. That's one of the things I love the most about this sport since your objective to win is very simple and your given a lot of options n how you can win. Interchangeable weapons are certainly no exception as it opens up a broad selection of options and tools for you to use making matches much more interesting. Tornado in Robot Wars had a wide selection of weapons that helped them since building bots is not just about brawn, but it's mainly about brains. As for the the moving weapon violation or weapons designed for one opponent, I feel this is an argument that really depends on the rulebook. There are tons of bots that have made weapons just for one match and no one gave a damn otherwise even if it was allowed or not. (i.e: Diesector vs. Final Destiny.)

I'm trying to say that interchangeable weapons can only break so many rules an opens up a lot of options for your robot. I only care otherwise if they are just asking for them to break rules. (looks at Complete Control vs. Ghost Raptor)

[/rant]

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: July 27, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline AmericanKilljoy

• Antweight
  • Killjoy by name...not by nature.
    • AmericanKilljoy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:14 PM »
So, here's a question for anyone here.  Say you're fighting a robot like Tombstone and your robot is Bite Force.  Would you have done anything different if you were Bite Force?  (if you are worried about the moral use of interchangeable weapons)

I recently saw a fight between Last Rites (Tombstone) and another bot Sewer Snake (Stinger: TKB) for the 2011 Robogames Heavyweight Final and a similar outcome occurred with Sewer Snake taking plenty of damage, but still surviving the round.  Link here for anyone who hasn't seen the fight before.

However, I may side on the grounds that a set interchangeable weapons/wedges/etc. should probably be approved before the tournament even starts.  Perhaps that would eliminate this argument altogether because it seems like people are more upset about people doing what The Matador...*ahem*...excuse me...Bronco and Ghost Raptor did to prepare for some of their fights by "gerry-rigging" things onto their robots instead of robots who came prepared with interchangeable weapons like Bite Force and Stinger.

I'm sure ABC and BattleBots Productions will sit down and talk this over, since this appears to be an important conversation...as soon as Season 2 gets cleared for production.   :gawe:

Offline wakkydude

• The Discourse
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • NotLikeThis NotLikeThis
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1095 on: July 28, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »
I found it kinda hilarious how poorly they were hiding the Bronco wedge in the garage. It's clearly a huge wedge, it's easy to see from the shape of the cover they hap-hazardly put on it. The de-icer was more of a surprise when it was revealed because they covered it up a little better.

It's not really a serious point of contention, I just found it fairly entertaining while watching the buildup to their battle.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1096 on: July 28, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
I think interchangeable weapons are cool - as long as they're all premade and basically bought in with the entry. I get the 'you should try and evolve' thing but youknow, how different would things be if that was the dominant strategy. You'll end up with interchange bots making weapons to out interchange interchange bots etc etc.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline AmericanKilljoy

• Antweight
  • Killjoy by name...not by nature.
    • AmericanKilljoy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1097 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
You'll end up with interchange bots making weapons to out interchange interchange bots etc etc.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1098 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »
Behind the scenes.

Offline RageTester

• Antweight
  • robotrage.pro RETRO ACTION GAME
    • View Profile
    • robotrage.pro
    • Awards
« Reply #1099 on: July 29, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »
Qualifying round was way too simple, and I have no idea how they ranked all bots after just 1 fight...what I can't understand is why those that lost their fights(wild cards) were no ranked 13th-16th, but somehow got higher ranking...My fav HyperShock(ranked 14th after winning) was about to stop our boring champion in 1/8 finals...lost due to electronics...
BiteForce main build failed, it couldn't lift anything, but himself  :laughing
RETRO ACTION GAME robotrage.pro
ROBOT RAGE REARMED, LET THE WARS BEGIN