Author Topic: Idea  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Scrap Daddy

Idea
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Make it so a member has to have been a member for more than a year to start a topic in Tournament Discussion? The amount of tournaments started by noobs lately is getting really annoying. Especially the fact that half of them aren't even prepared to do it and don't finish. 1 year might be too much but perhaps 6 months?

Besides, I liked it better on the old forum where there were a few awesome tournaments instead of the multitude that are started nowadays. Tournaments kinda lose their coolness when there are new ones popping up everyday...

Just an idea.

Offline cephalopod

Re: Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Make it so a member has to have been a member for more than a year to start a topic in Tournament Discussion? The amount of tournaments started by noobs lately is getting really annoying. Especially the fact that half of them aren't even prepared to do it and don't finish. 1 year might be too much but perhaps 6 months?

Exactly what I've been suggesting... There needs to be some rules cos it's getting stupid.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
Is it me or has G.K been AIing all these new tournaments?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
what? I mean I was only on the forums for like 2 MONTHS when Replica Wars started and you're saying I have to wait until freakin' AUGUST to start #2? I mean if they're complete and utter NOOBS (like certain unmentionables..*glares at TX and LRA2*) its OK, but putting that on EVERYONE limits the number of tourneys that will run will decrease to like BBEANS and Clash Cubes with a few other tourneys sprinkled in between, killing RA2 even more, because the chance that half of these people will stay for a whole year is kinda slim.

But that's just me [/endrant]

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
If there was a rule that you couldn't make a tourament till you have been on the forum for 6 months, CC 1 wouldn't happen.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
correct :P hehe I started CC1 after like 3 months of being online... actually CC1 revived my RA2 interest so I may have not been on here :S

we thought with the allowing signups section we would filter it but some (no names mentioned) use others help to get there rules past the sign ups then change 50 million things after each round.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

its hard to do as some people can host a tournament after low activity but others really cant. only thing I can suggest is a split section you have the "big league" and the "little league" newer members cant make any big league tournaments until a few successful little league tournaments are made.

that would give the "big league" section more prestige like what Scrap is after while not reducing the amount to the point the community is on life support  ;)

Offline Jack Daniels

• Rep: 9
  • Losing Tournaments with Style
    • matt.morrill.12
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • My abandoned online RPG project.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »
People that successfully complete tourneys should be remembered and kept on a list.  If they have proved their worth, they should be able to do future tournaments.

New members that announce tournaments really should be given 4 random bots that they need to AI, film, and post successfully as a test.  If they fail at that stage, it should save us all a bunch of time.

It's a gamble...  I remember when we doubted members like Badnik and Jonzu... both of them came through and put out decent tournaments. They also learned a bit during the process.  This is why I am focusing on entering their tournaments as they announce them.  Because I trust them.

It really is too bad when tournaments fail though... it wastes everyone's valuable bot-building time.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
Settle down Badnik, no need to rant. Just shooting off an idea. Never said anything actually had to be done about it. Though I agree 6 months might also be a bit too much since there are definite exceptions.

But just look at the tournaments that have been started and most likely won't finish. LRA2 is getting caught up in a thread that has nothing to do with his tournament, TX obviously used his computer breaking as a cop-out that he can't take the pressure of running a tournament, and Mouldy king bash has started at least 3(even though GK came and saved the day).
New members that announce tournaments really should be given 4 random bots that they need to AI, film, and post successfully as a test.  If they fail at that stage, it should save us all a bunch of time.
And there's an idea I like. Honestly, if someone isn't positive they can finish what they started, then don't. I know for a fact I will never start one until I get a better computer because I hardly run regular matches without lag, never mind with fraps running. I'd be burnt out in a week.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
I tend to agree with the basic gist of the idea (being too many crappy tourneys). There was a time that I entered absolutely every single tourney because I could keep up. Now, without an army of pre-made bots at your disposal, it's damn near impossible. Hell, I hardly even read the signups section because of all of the junk. I'm not sure what we could do though without destroying the chances of people like JB running the CC series only ~3 months into their tenure at GTM's. Mind you, if my memory serves, CC1 wasn't a huge tourney, but it gained buzz because it was so well run.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »
how about a single thread with a download link to 4 random robots....

when people want to start a tournament for the first time they download the robots, AI, Film 3 matches running for 1 min each (to find a winner) edit it all up into 1 video with some nice titles and editing (to show enthusiasm) and upload it to something like youtube post the link in the thread and they get approval or not.

chatter is kept down to a minimum and no insults or anything.

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »
I might be a noob for doing a tourment and G.K AI'ing my tourment but this is very correct.

Offline Doomkiller

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • I HAS DOUBLE PISTOLS
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
Was it 6 months before I started Doomed Bots?

I quite like this idea, but the test one is alot better, because I was able to run Doomed bots, which became a really big tourney, pretty well (although I had some help from JoeBlo).
"I make death fun!"
Quote from: NerdCubed
OH MY GOD IT'S JAWS!

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:35 AM »
but all I tackled was the easy part.. videos

you still AI'd and put together everything yourself, sorted out screen recording methods and a way of publishing the videos too

which are the most important points...

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
Just an idea: Maybe you should do an example of what you can do with like a mini-tourney with like 2 bots, and if you do a good job you will be put on a list or something. IDK, might not be a good plan.

And I think you have to be able to AI yourself instead of having someone else do it for you (MKB......).

I actually agree with waiting a certain period of time before hosting a tourney, though I don't know if it should be 6 months or whatever.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline lloopp D lloopp

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • having a hard time holding these alligators down
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
What happens if you call the person a n00b because he's really bad at bot building, but is an awesome AI-er?

And vice-versa?
4 Brook moo moo moo moo moo moo how old was the movie food for Louis Missouri man hustle full moon eager for blow blow

currently 2-0 vs Clickbeetle in tournaments, the streak lives on
16th overall in BBEANS standings
runner up for best rookie award in BBEANS6
teamed up with jack daniels that one time
did okay in Clash Cubes 3 i guess
pound 4 pound the dreamiest gtm member

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 10:24:26 AM »
TBH, how do you tell who's gonna be good at tournaments? I was fine with Chinese Whispers(*Nudges JoeBlo*)
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
TBH, how do you tell who's gonna be good at tournaments? I was fine with Chinese Whispers(*Nudges JoeBlo*)

We wouldn't know, because it hasn't happened yet.
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »

I'm all for this.
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
I didn't see that and I posted almost the same thing. XD
But yeah, I agree.
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Stagfish

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
maybe istead of 1 year on the forum 300 posts?