Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 12486 times)

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • Rep: 5
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
but i really only like older games
Which is why you steal them?
ah, you're one of those :c

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
but i really only like older games
Which is why you steal them?
ah, you're one of those :c
A person who pays for the products they enjoy? Yes. I don't have much of a problem if you already own the original cartridges, but theft is theft.

Totally wrong. The defining feature of a tablet is a large touchscreen,
Which the Switch has.

which is a beyond awful interface for gaming, which is why the switch has "proper" controllers.
Which is why most gaming occurs on tablets and cell phones. Whether or not you consider things like Pokémon Go to be "real" games doesn't change this fact.

[/size]
It's a large handheld in tablet form-factor. It has none of the functionality of a 'real' tablet, like an iPad.
Sure it does.

720p is laughable for a tablet. Hell, it's laughable for a phone.
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

[/size]
You can't compare a laptop screen's PPI to a tablet screen's PPI, this thing is going to be closer to your face than a laptop screen. By your metric, this crappy 720p screen is going to be nicer too look at than my 4k monitor @ 157ppi.
I'm not sure how you use tablets, but I usually keep my iPad roughly the same distance away from my face as my MacBook. And considering that one of the featured modes of the Switch is a tabletop mode, I would say that comparing the PPI of the screen to a laptop's is fair.

I can't make any comment on how sh**ty your monitor is as I don't know anything about it. I'm sure you make sure to shout its specs at everyone you know, though.

idk if you ever tried to use the wii browser for an extended period of time. I did, and it was like pulling teeth. Totally painful. Extremely limited functionally and compatibility, and slow.
It was great in 2007, as was Internet Explorer in 1995. It's easy to criticize technologies from years past if you ignore their context.

[/size]
I haven't had experience with the Wii U browser,
Yet you criticize it as if you know.

[/size]
but saying that its the best console browser means nothing. They're all awful to the point of uselessness.
You've never even used the WiiU browser. How do you know this to be true?

[/size]
Nobody's going to use this thing over a polished phone/tablet browser. Again, the switch is going to be an awful multimedia and web browsing device compared to a phone or tablet.
Web browsing will likely be better on my phone, but Netflix, Hulu, etc. won't. On the Switch, I can start watching something on my TV, and seamlessly take the video with me to the kitchen, my bedroom, or wherever. I know, Arrested Development won't be in 4K, but somehow I don't think that'll bother me.

And the switch is going to be an objectively worse experience from a hardware standpoint, I don't see how you can argue this.
I can argue this based on the fact that gigaflops don't make my dick hard. To me, taking a console Zelda with me on a tablet is far more impressive than counting the pixels or the frames.

[/size]
In addition, the incredibly anemic hardware is going to scare off 3rd party devs, so enjoy only being able to play 1st party games.
That's certainly possible. It's also possible that they'll see a familiar ARM architecture as an opportunity to make games that they can also port to mobile devices. Outside of Reddit, not too many people give a sh** about tech specs.

"These awful tiny controllers are totally fine, because my hands are too big for normal sized controllers anyway!"
That's not at all what I said. When you go on dates, do you bring up how hardcore you are?

Who says that he doesn't own legal copies? And who cares if he does? Don't try to take the moral highground purely because it fits your narrative.
If he owns legit copies, then I don't see much of a problem. If he doesn't, he is stealing. Justify it if you want, but it's theft.

Does this post contain enough pixels?
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:21 AM »
A person who pays for the products they enjoy? Yes. I don't have much of a problem if you already own the original cartridges, but theft is theft.
It's not really theft if you're just making a copy. A forums that distributes abandonware younger than most nintendo games probably isn't the place to be grandstanding about this kinda thing. If you're so against this kinda thing, why do you hang around on a site that goes against your principles?

Which the Switch has.
Yes, it also doesn't use its touchscreen as its main input. By your definition, a DS is a tablet. And my point wasn't that it isn't a tablet, it's that it isn't a gaming tablet. Which it is not.

Which is why most gaming occurs on tablets and cell phones. Whether or not you consider things like Pokémon Go to be "real" games doesn't change this fact.
Firstly, the switch isn't going to run mobile games, so your point is totally invalid. And if it did, you wouldn't buy it. But by all means, download an emulator on your phone and try to play any reasonably-paced "core" games using a touchscreen and tell me how that works out for you. I can't believe that you're actually defending the touchscreen as a legitimate form of control for 'real' games. And on top of that, all of the games for the switch are going to use the joycons for the vast majority of input, so again your point is invalid.

Sure it does.
haha, have fun checking your e-mails, or browsing the web on this thing. Seriously man. There's a reason the iPad is useable for this kinda stuff, and it's because of iOS. Nintendo are 100% not capable of creating an OS that provides a good tablet experience, and they're not going to try because the switch is a gaming platform, not an iPad mini competitor.

I'm not sure how you use tablets, but I usually keep my iPad roughly the same distance away from my face as my MacBook. And considering that one of the featured modes of the Switch is a tabletop mode, I would say that comparing the PPI of the screen to a laptop's is fair.

I can't make any comment on how sh**ty your monitor is as I don't know anything about it. I'm sure you make sure to shout its specs at everyone you know, though.
I'm pretty sure you don't and even if you do, everyone else does not. PPI is basically irrelevant as a measure of a screen's quality, you just had to cherrypick the single redeeming stat for the screen to make it seem like it has a redeeming feature. The screen is one that would be found on tablets a third of the price. 720p is not enough for modern AAA games.

It was great in 2007, as was Internet Explorer in 1995. It's easy to criticize technologies from years past if you ignore their context.
No, it was awful in 2007 and even worse now. I know, because I used it in 2007.

I bet you are too, insulting anyone that goes against your blind fanboyism.

Because nintendo's onscreen keyboard is going to be ass to use? Maybe the wii u browser was OK since you could use the gamepad as a keyboard, but the switch only has 1 screen, and the keyboard is going to take up the majority of that when held horizonally

Web browsing will likely be better on my phone, but Netflix, Hulu, etc. won't. On the Switch, I can start watching something on my TV, and seamlessly take the video with me to the kitchen, my bedroom, or wherever. I know, Arrested Development won't be in 4K, but somehow I don't think that'll bother me.
Again, why would anyone use the switch, with terrible battery life and an awful screen compared to a cheaper android tablet, to watch media like this over a tablet? Everything you're describing can and has been done better by a tablet device.

I can argue this based on the fact that gigaflops don't make my dick hard. To me, taking a console Zelda with me on a tablet is far more impressive than counting the pixels or the frames.
Maybe the near-absence of 3rd party games will convince you, if your zelda games looking like they're from half a decade ago does not. Part of the reason for awful 3rd party support for recent nintendo consoles has been due to the added cost posting to much worse hardware, and the gulf is considerably bigger than ever before between the switch and Xbox One S/PS4 Pro.

That's certainly possible. It's also possible that they'll see a familiar ARM architecture as an opportunity to make games that they can also port to mobile devices. Outside of Reddit, not too many people give a sh** about tech specs.
You realise that nobody is going to want to play mobile games on this thing, right? You included?

That's not at all what I said. When you go on dates, do you bring up how hardcore you are?
Again with the insults. You said that you're fine with the tiny-ass joycons, but this PS4 controllers are too small. Again with the double standard for Nintendo products.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 05:20:39 AM »
It's not really theft if you're just making a copy. A forums that distributes abandonware younger than most nintendo games probably isn't the place to be grandstanding about this kinda thing. If you're so against this kinda thing, why do you hang around on a site that goes against your principles?

Which the Switch has.
Yes, it also doesn't use its touchscreen as its main input. By your definition, a DS is a tablet. And my point wasn't that it isn't a tablet, it's that it isn't a gaming tablet. Which it is not.

Firstly, the switch isn't going to run mobile games, so your point is totally invalid. And if it did, you wouldn't buy it. But by all means, download an emulator on your phone and try to play any reasonably-paced "core" games using a touchscreen and tell me how that works out for you. I can't believe that you're actually defending the touchscreen as a legitimate form of control for 'real' games. And on top of that, all of the games for the switch are going to use the joycons for the vast majority of input, so again your point is invalid.

Sure it does.
haha, have fun checking your e-mails, or browsing the web on this thing. Seriously man. There's a reason the iPad is useable for this kinda stuff, and it's because of iOS. Nintendo are 100% not capable of creating an OS that provides a good tablet experience, and they're not going to try because the switch is a gaming platform, not an iPad mini competitor.

I'm pretty sure you don't and even if you do, everyone else does not. PPI is basically irrelevant as a measure of a screen's quality, you just had to cherrypick the single redeeming stat for the screen to make it seem like it has a redeeming feature. The screen is one that would be found on tablets a third of the price. 720p is not enough for modern AAA games.

Because nintendo's onscreen keyboard is going to be ass to use? Maybe the wii u browser was OK since you could use the gamepad as a keyboard, but the switch only has 1 screen, and the keyboard is going to take up the majority of that when held horizonally

Again, why would anyone use the switch, with terrible battery life and an awful screen compared to a cheaper android tablet, to watch media like this over a tablet? Everything you're describing can and has been done better by a tablet device.

Maybe the near-absence of 3rd party games will convince you, if your zelda games looking like they're from half a decade ago does not. Part of the reason for awful 3rd party support for recent nintendo consoles has been due to the added cost posting to much worse hardware, and the gulf is considerably bigger than ever before between the switch and Xbox One S/PS4 Pro.

You realise that nobody is going to want to play mobile games on this thing, right? You included?

Again with the insults. You said that you're fine with the tiny-ass joycons, but this PS4 controllers are too small. Again with the double standard for Nintendo products.
WOAH THERE WAY TO SPICY!!!!

As my point of view however, the switch is not a tablet. It is a bit more like a portable TV. As for being expensive, it was cheaper than BOTH then the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Anyways, this will be an interesting console depending on if it is good or not.

-Baconus
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 05:25:33 AM »
That's what I've been saying; it's not supposed to function as a tablet. And it is cheap for a console, but it's also very expensive for a handheld or a tablet, markets that it sits in between.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares outside of Japan, I have a feeling that it's not going to fare well in Europe in particular.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 07:25:21 AM »
That's what I've been saying; it's not supposed to function as a tablet. And it is cheap for a console, but it's also very expensive for a handheld or a tablet, markets that it sits in between.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares outside of Japan, I have a feeling that it's not going to fare well in Europe in particular.
Not entierly true..

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:26 AM »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
That's right, theft is theft, and I don't give a care.  :mrgreen:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »

Not entierly true..
100% entirely true.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »
I think the Switch is a cool idea but at £280/$345 with no software, the software being £40/$50 for multiplayer microgames, £60/$73 for the big names, accessories being more ontop of that.. and a shortage of good titles for the first few months.. the online not being free as a primary PC gamer.. it's turning my "Yes" to only a "Maybe" or "Maybe later"

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »

An abandonware site that is officially recognized by the developers of the game its dedicated to. That's a big difference. Besides, I still have RA2 on disc, so your claims of hypocrisy do not stand.

Yes, it also doesn't use its touchscreen as its main input.
I think that would depend on the software.

By your definition, a DS is a tablet. And my point wasn't that it isn't a tablet, it's that it isn't a gaming tablet. Which it is not.
It is a dockable tablet that you primarily use for gaming. Therefore, it is a gaming tablet. You aren't going to win this semantics argument.

As for the 3DS/DS, there is an interesting phenomenon regarding its nomenclature. Adults who play video games, but don't harass women on Reddit tend to refer to the thing as a "Gameboy". Children, on the other hand, call it a "tablet". Sure, it doesn't have an email client, but kids don't give a sh**.

If Mario Run was to be ported to Switch, I would buy it. It's a solid game. If Words with Friends were to be ported to the Switch, I would buy it. Fun games are fun regardless of polygon count.

That said, my point was in regards to porting, not running mobile games. Mobile ports of console titles are increasingly becoming a thing, and with a home console that is already built on that architecture, developers can easily make a Switch game that can also run, in some form, on mobile.

haha, have fun checking your e-mails,
Nobody has fun checking their email.

or browsing the web on this thing.
You haven't seen, nor used its browser. You're blindly judging a product you know nothing about, yet you are calling me the fanboy. How interesting...

Seriously man. There's a reason the iPad is useable for this kinda stuff, and it's because of iOS. Nintendo are 100% not capable of creating an OS that provides a good tablet experience, and they're not going to try because the switch is a gaming platform, not an iPad mini competitor.
The iPad Mini comparison clearly went over your head. Should I have used more pixels?

I'm pretty sure you don't and even if you do, everyone else does not.
Now I'm genuinely curious. When you use a tablet, are you holding it up to your face or something? I leave mine on my lap.

PPI is basically irrelevant as a measure of a screen's quality, you just had to cherrypick the single redeeming stat for the screen to make it seem like it has a redeeming feature.
PPI is the most relevant resolution metric! A 30ft 4K display looks nowhere near as crisp as a 7in 720p display.

The screen is one that would be found on tablets a third of the price. 720p is not enough for modern AAA games.
For killjoys like you, maybe, but I tend to play games, not watch them.

In 2007, the Wii was the best way to view Flash content on the TV, without hooking up a PC. It was quite handy at showing off YouTube. By today's standards, yes, it sucks. The iPhone's 2007 browser also sucks by today's metrics.

You attacked me because your ePenis can't get hard without counting frames and pixels.

It has only one screen that displays the virtual keyboard, you know, like a tablet.

Again, why would anyone use the switch,

Presumably to have fun—a concept that seems foreign to you.

[/size]with terrible battery life
Battery life that is actually comparable to that of the 3DS, a device that has sold around 60 million units.
[/font]
[/size]and an awful screen compared to a cheaper android tablet
A cheaper Android that fails as both a tablet and a game device.
[/font]
[/size]to watch media like this over a tablet? Everything you're describing can and has been done better by a tablet device.
You have a tablet that docks to your TV and plays Zelda? Neat. What's it called and how did you pay for it?

[/font]
[/size]
Maybe the near-absence of 3rd party games will convince you,
I have an Xbox for multiplatform games.

[/font]
[/size]if your zelda games looking like they're from half a decade ago does not.
Breath of the Wild looks great! Like Wind Waker, this will still look great in 10 years. The latest grim-dark shooter? Not so much.

[/font]
[/size]Part of the reason for awful 3rd party support for recent nintendo consoles has been due to the added cost posting to much worse hardware, and the gulf is considerably bigger than ever before between the switch and Xbox One S/PS4 Pro.

It's more complicated than that. Nintendo has struggled with maintaining third parties since the SNES, largely due to licensing and other behind-the-scenes boneheadedness. Third parties put up with it on the SNES because it had the largest install base. The PS2 was by far the weakest console of its generation (unless you count the Dreamcast), but developers supported the hell out of it because it had a large install base. Developers go where they can make money. They make big extravagant games on the PS4 and XBone because those are the games that sell on those platforms.

[/font]
[/size]
You base this off of what, exactly? Plenty of mobile games have faired well on the DS and 3DS. Plenty of DS and 3DS games have faired well on the mobile. You're projecting your biases onto the masses. Not everybody cares about gigaflops.
[/font]
[/size]
Again with the insults.
As per the philosophy of Anton LaVey, I'm treating you as you treat me. This conversation could have been civil, but your manhood is clearly threatened by a device that dares to run games in *gasp* 1080p.

[/font]
[/size]You said that you're fine with the tiny-ass joycons,
For rounds of split screen gameplay with friends, the Joy-Con on their side will be fine.

[/font]
[/size]but this PS4 controllers are too small. Again with the double standard for Nintendo products.
I said I liked the Dual Shock 4. The previous Dual Shocks were all trash, with sh**ty d-pads, sh**ty stick placement, and sh**ty shoulder buttons. In the current generation of consoles, so far, the Xbone controller is the most comfortable.It's clear that to you, gaming is defined by resolution and specs. To me, those are merely incidental. If the game is fun, the game is fun. Genesis games look like a hot mess on my TV, yet they're still fun. You may be appalled by a game like ARMS, but I think a fighting game with optional 1:1 motion controls looks like a blast.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
We're going to have to agree to disagree, since I'm not reading that wall of text.

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »
tbh i'm just a cheap bastard and a hoarder who likes full romsets for old systems because i have autism i have ocd. i do buy games from gog when it's more convenient to pay 5-10 bucks then trying to find a key on TPB.  :dumb)

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
We're going to have to agree to disagree, since I'm not reading that wall of text.
https://hookedonphonics.com

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »
what if the switch you bought is demonically possessed, in a lament configuration sort of way, i'd think you could at least  get it on the cheaps then.

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
what if the switch you bought is demonically possessed, in a lament configuration sort of way, i'd think you could at least  get it on the cheaps then. (Image removed from quote.)
Then I suppose I would be in for some limitless sex and limitless pain.

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
The previous Dual Shocks were all trash, with sh**ty d-pads, sh**ty stick placement, and sh**ty shoulder buttons.

Hey, I liked those controllers. Ape Escape wouldn't be the same without them.

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
Getting back to the topic at hand...

I just honestly don't think the console will sell well, as much as I like it. I just wish Nintendo weren't so stupid for at looking at the current market and thinking £275 was a good starting point.

It'll outsell the Wii U but I don't think it'll do much more than that.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 04:26:26 AM »
I just honestly don't think the console will sell well, as much as I like it. I just wish Nintendo weren't so stupid for at looking at the current market and thinking £275 was a good starting point.

A direct currency conversion of $300 is £244; the UK is just getting upsold as usual.