5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317089 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1480 on: May 27, 2016, 07:36:24 PM »
I encourage everyone to make EMERGENCY clones. With 1300 units of chassis weight using Steel/Fibreglass and 2050 units total it's not super duper fast (then again I'm using Z-Teks and not PSUs) but seeing it plow and flip through everything makes me forget  :beer:momentarily that the game is broken.

They're letting us build too light a robot for the torque of the biggest motors; more speed, less power.
Pretty sure armor applies a speed penalty without taking weight into consideration. Don't have time to test it right now, but I wouldn't be suprised considering the rest of the mechanics.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1481 on: May 27, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »

Why is there....

A tournament..........

With an armadillo on it......................

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1482 on: May 27, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
I encourage everyone to make EMERGENCY clones. With 1300 units of chassis weight using Steel/Fibreglass and 2050 units total it's not super duper fast (then again I'm using Z-Teks and not PSUs) but seeing it plow and flip through everything makes me forget  :beer:momentarily that the game is broken.

They're letting us build too light a robot for the torque of the biggest motors; more speed, less power.
Pretty sure armor applies a speed penalty without taking weight into consideration. Don't have time to test it right now, but I wouldn't be suprised considering the rest of the mechanics.

Not sure about that one - I've got bigger, heavier non-PSU bots that go quick based on how the motors don't cause the bot to wheelie or flip over constantly. I've also got micro bots with micro motors that aren't exactly slow either taking into account scale speed that don't seem to be affected speedwise by the minor changes in weight a small chassis brings.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1483 on: May 27, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »

Not sure about that one - I've got bigger, heavier non-PSU bots that go quick based on how the motors don't cause the bot to wheelie or flip over constantly. I've also got micro bots with micro motors that aren't exactly slow either taking into account scale speed that don't seem to be affected speedwise by the minor changes in weight a small chassis brings.
I'm talking more about the armor than the weight. For example,  take two bots that weigh the same, but one with plastic and the other with steel. The bot that has steel will be slower than the other with plastic because of an invisible speed penalty.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1484 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
Oh, I should have been clear. I see no difference from armor in small bots, while bigger bots it can be the difference between limited/no control and high speed.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #1485 on: May 28, 2016, 12:22:14 AM »
For what it's worth, the official Battlebots page teased a video game earlier today, and got 700ish likes on the post as of now. There's money in this game if the devs have the initiative and drive to learn and do this right.

lol BattleBots only posted that recently discovered 2002 concept art because I dug it up and posted it to Reddit.  :gawe:

Still trying to convince them to hire a developer/publisher to finish and release it. I guarantee it would sell. RA3 is proof enough that people want a game, and just looking at the videos from the original BB game teasers shows something with a lot more functionality and action than this.
It looks like they were selling the GameCube version on their website: http://store.battlebots.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=154_156&product_id=240

It was never actually for sale, that listing is there as a mistake. I had asked about it before. :P
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1486 on: May 28, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »
For what it's worth, the official Battlebots page teased a video game earlier today, and got 700ish likes on the post as of now. There's money in this game if the devs have the initiative and drive to learn and do this right.

lol BattleBots only posted that recently discovered 2002 concept art because I dug it up and posted it to Reddit.  :gawe:

Still trying to convince them to hire a developer/publisher to finish and release it. I guarantee it would sell. RA3 is proof enough that people want a game, and just looking at the videos from the original BB game teasers shows something with a lot more functionality and action than this.
It looks like they were selling the GameCube version on their website: http://store.battlebots.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=154_156&product_id=240

It was never actually for sale, that listing is there as a mistake. I had asked about it before. :P
this guys claims to have the game
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18910.0

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1487 on: May 28, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »

Yeah, and unfortunately he hasn't even been online since that day. Seems kinda hopeless.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #1488 on: May 28, 2016, 01:28:47 AM »

Yeah, and unfortunately he hasn't even been online since that day. Seems kinda hopeless.

Seems more like an attention whore if you ask me.  :gawe:
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline AHeapOfGames

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1489 on: May 28, 2016, 03:40:47 AM »
I put my current opinions into this video. Won't bother typing it all out =P

Should be doing a full review soon.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1490 on: May 28, 2016, 03:46:58 AM »
Not sure how many of you guys have looked it up or seen it but here's some footage of the PS2 version:

But more on topic though, i'm probably gonna pick this game up around next paycheck. I was gonna buy a GTX 1080, but it's only founders editions cards right now and screw that. So I bought a window AC unit :3

EDIT: Totally didn't know it embedded videos to the forum post

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1491 on: May 28, 2016, 04:11:29 AM »
My take on RA3...

part 1 is focusing on the botlab:

Sometimes this game is on crack.
and now craaig knows how sakurai felt

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1492 on: May 28, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »
Do we know if anyone's asked the dead WHY whatever's broken is broken? Like, for example, are issues such as wedged chassis not registering as such collision-wise or the lack of any sort of speed the result of developer oversight, or are they inherent in the engine?

Offline Jules

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1493 on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
Do we know if anyone's asked the dead WHY whatever's broken is broken? Like, for example, are issues such as wedged chassis not registering as such collision-wise or the lack of any sort of speed the result of developer oversight, or are they inherent in the engine?

I am fairly experienced with Unity. I even created a robot combat prototype thingy. This is the developer's fault.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1494 on: May 28, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

I am fairly experienced with Unity. I even created a robot combat prototype thingy. This is the developer's fault.

cutting and pasting source code from ra2 works poorly? :P

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1495 on: May 28, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »
My take on RA3...

I feel like I want to build something in Unity myself now too. A learning experience, a way to offer more technical input and something constructive all in one.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1496 on: May 28, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »
My take on RA3...

I feel like I want to build something in Unity myself now too. A learning experience, a way to offer more technical input and something constructive all in one.
do it fam, if you get it to even a slightly playable state you'll get financial backing from GTM to continue
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1497 on: May 28, 2016, 07:44:30 PM »
Oh god, I ain't that good. I made a low poly rover with WheelColliders and put it in a mars landscape. My own custom robot combat game entirely from scratch is probably currently not a sound investment.

Offline Jarvis_Rapture

• Rep: 3
  • Proud cynic and Featherweight roboteer
    • MicroGravity100
    • View Profile
    • Team Rapture
    • Awards
« Reply #1498 on: May 28, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
My opinion of RA3 can be summed up with this short clip
Team Rapture
#ErickoningSeries2
RPM (BW) - 1st place @ Whitwick 2015

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1499 on: May 28, 2016, 09:00:30 PM »
First ACAMS, and now RFS?

Fuking hell... Everyone is coming out of the woodwork to relive the days of RA2, with this game.

Incredible.