5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317071 times)

Offline Dexterhunter

• Rep: 1
  • spiders live outside
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1440 on: May 26, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
aprils fools

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1441 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »
Anyone else think that the AI has faster weapon motors? All of my bots are slow as hell compared to them.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1442 on: May 26, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »
Agreed there. I tried to make a spinner, turns like a servo. The AI has some decently fast weapons. What gives?

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1443 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Anyone else think that the AI has faster weapon motors? All of my bots are slow as hell compared to them.

easy answer, the AI doesn't "seem" to be using the physics engine as you expect to move around, they are rather literally pushed by an invisible force.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1444 on: May 26, 2016, 10:27:40 PM »

easy answer, the AI doesn't "seem" to be using the physics engine as you expect to move around, they are rather literally pushed by an invisible force.

u fookin wot

this explains so much

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1445 on: May 27, 2016, 12:38:44 AM »
I'll check it out tomorrow or something myself. 2am. Eyes kinda hurt.

One of you guys should be super cool and post some pictures of Inky.

(Image removed from quote.)
Eww...

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #1446 on: May 27, 2016, 01:43:28 AM »
I've been quiet about this game mostly because I don't know what I'm allowed to say about it since I signed an NDA a while back, but it's disappointing to say the least. I hope the dev team is able to fix this, though I'm not certain this is a hole they can get themselves out of. I know nothing about Unity, but all this talk of "collision mesh" this and "motor speed" that doesn't sound good. I don't pretend nor claim to know anything about programming and whatnot, but it seems really bizarre that something like a wedge or a dustpan robot simply don't work and both types of robots end up being viewed as a giant cube.
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #1447 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:20 AM »
All I wanted was RA2 HD with online. If they can make a game to match the level of RA2, they'll get at least two purchases from me, but they're getting nothing from me right now.

For what it's worth, the official Battlebots page teased a video game earlier today, and got 700ish likes on the post as of now. There's money in this game if the devs have the initiative and drive to learn and do this right.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #1448 on: May 27, 2016, 01:57:41 AM »
For what it's worth, the official Battlebots page teased a video game earlier today, and got 700ish likes on the post as of now. There's money in this game if the devs have the initiative and drive to learn and do this right.

lol BattleBots only posted that recently discovered 2002 concept art because I dug it up and posted it to Reddit.  :gawe:

Still trying to convince them to hire a developer/publisher to finish and release it. I guarantee it would sell. RA3 is proof enough that people want a game, and just looking at the videos from the original BB game teasers shows something with a lot more functionality and action than this.
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1449 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:00 AM »
I've been quiet about this game mostly because I don't know what I'm allowed to say about it since I signed an NDA a while back, but it's disappointing to say the least. I hope the dev team is able to fix this, though I'm not certain this is a hole they can get themselves out of. I know nothing about Unity, but all this talk of "collision mesh" this and "motor speed" that doesn't sound good. I don't pretend nor claim to know anything about programming and whatnot, but it seems really bizarre that something like a wedge or a dustpan robot simply don't work and both types of robots end up being viewed as a giant cube.

Indeed. It just seems weird to as how something as critical as a wedge chassis not having the collisions of a cube could be ignored. Seriously... How does this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X4n4alhtw&feature=youtu.be get through development and testing? Did they not know this system was massively broken or did they simply decide not to do anything about it? This is not very bad optimization, massive bugs, or crashing, this is an essential system being fundamentally flawed. A bot's chassis actually working is probably one of the first things that should have been finished when making the game.

I find it funny that for being devs that are supposedly super passionate about the game and actually took input from this community they don't seem to have realized our obsession with wedges.

Makes me wonder... Maybe they should have done a Kickstarter to get the resources they needed to make a great game from the start. I think this botched release will hurt them a lot. We will come back to it if fixed, but your average Joe probably won't care unless there's something new and extraordinary about it or unless its once again advertised. Hell, I might probably disappear until I hear about RA3 again since that's really what I came here for, though I am enjoying some RA2 for now so who knows.

There's a of a couple of Youtubers that play these types of more "thinking/planning" games like Factorio, Cities: Skylines, Prison Architect, etc. that actually spend time to play the game (unlike popular Let's players like GameGrumps, RoosterTeeth, etc.) so I guess that could be an avenue for advertising once the game is in a playable state. Arumba, quill18, Mathas, Aavak and Lathrix/Lathland are some that come to mind. They're not huge but they have a good 100,000-200,000 subs each. Hell, RA3 seems like the type of game that Total Biscuit might be interested in doing a video on. We need a working game for that though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:57:51 AM by LiNcK »

Offline Sol Vector

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1450 on: May 27, 2016, 03:34:28 AM »
Well, it's 2016, time for my annual post. I purchased RA3 via Humble Bundle while on sale, with 10% of proceeds going to the non-profit (Gamers Outreach Foundation) I work for. The way I see it, even if it does suck, I own the whole set. Heres to hoping for improvement!
Le continuel ouvrage de votre vie, ces't batir la mort

Offline jackster96

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1451 on: May 27, 2016, 04:54:28 AM »
I've not picked it up yet waiting for tomorrow (payday) but I've heard lots of negative things so far :L sounds like an unpolished bit of crap? Does it have some potential or is it just doomed?
Hobbies; table tennis, archery, pool, gaming pc and xbox.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1452 on: May 27, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »
I've not picked it up yet waiting for tomorrow (payday) but I've heard lots of negative things so far :L sounds like an unpolished bit of crap? Does it have some potential or is it just doomed?

if you buy it right now you'll be disappointed. wait till they fix the mess first.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1453 on: May 27, 2016, 05:45:37 AM »
-Every motor has exactly the same stats, I confirmed this by attaching stuff to each motor, they all spin exactly the same rpm and acceleration

That would explain why the powered steering units are hands down the best drive motor in the game right now...

Yeah, I made a big wide chassis, attached a flywheel and a marker to each one, they are all exactly the same.
With the bots exploding at /this/ speed, I dont think the game is ready for more than 3mph sumo bots.

I couldnt even make a ddt powered lifter with spikes at the end, as soon as it would return to the floor, the bot would go flying.

Right now I can't replicate any of this with my own designs - I do agree the motors do seem to run at the same speed under light loads, but I have a feeling they run at different torques. Which would explain why my Hypnodisc attempt struggles to move properly with RAM 4WD, or a super-light robot with Z-Tek 4WD topples over and over yet doesn't go very fast, or the Z-Tek HP puts more rotational force on a robot with a heavy disc then a micro motor. Or it could be the game physics. Too much in flux right now.

I got a Chaos 2 flipper using a single DDT and a bracket wedge and it doesn't bug like you're suggesting, which is interesting.

Offline Mallidon

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1454 on: May 27, 2016, 06:44:56 AM »
I actually bought the game about 3-4 hours after it came out after reading the bad reviews and watching a stream that was basically 'This game is not very good right now'.

I must say I'm disappointed but not disheartened. I could see from the reviews etc that it wasn't great but I'd rather be in on day one and hope for an improvement. If the devs can actually start fixing RA3 up it certainly could be something good. It defo feels like a rush job rather than a mess put out by amateurs so given time I am hopeful.

Just wish they had been a bit more honest about the state of things before release. I'm sure if they'd communicated a bit more and put it out there that it might come out as early access a lot sooner, giving full reasoning, then more people would be willing to give it more time.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1455 on: May 27, 2016, 07:05:09 AM »
Are any of the arenas OOTA-able?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1456 on: May 27, 2016, 07:36:02 AM »
I'd have to build a strong flipper to try. One DDT barely tosses Lil Dog or The Lone Saw (SFTW)

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1457 on: May 27, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »
Yeah I couldn't make anything decent enough to see and the AI flippers weren't strong enough either. Flex Top arena obviously has OOTAs though so they're in the game.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1458 on: May 27, 2016, 08:07:59 AM »
Yeah I couldn't make anything decent enough to see and the AI flippers weren't strong enough either. Flex Top arena obviously has OOTAs though so they're in the game.
It doesn't register though. My opponent fell down there so I chased after it once the match didn't end. You can drive around down there. It's a pool of water. There's also a nice waterfall effect where the crowd used to be.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1459 on: May 27, 2016, 08:10:37 AM »
It doesn't register though. My opponent fell down there so I chased after it once the match didn't end. You can drive around down there. It's a pool of water. There's also a nice waterfall effect where the crowd used to be.
Worked fine for me.