5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317040 times)

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1080 on: May 03, 2016, 05:34:21 AM »
hey how about we talk about ra3
agreed. It's not like we have much longer to wait.

Offline HX_

• Rep: 1
  • What about a flamethrower?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »

I'm surprised the makers of RA3 even want to have anything to do with this forum.

When creating a game for what has always been (at least in the past) a niche genre, you take the fans you already have.
leaving this space blank until RA3 is released.

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1082 on: May 04, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »
One thing that does worry me through is the unity file format, I can imagine that being an issue if you have to un and repack everything instead of simply opening up a .py file in notepad and doing some adjustments to test.

Why is that a problem and not with any other game formats?  You're kinda making an absurd excuse for something that really sound like it's the only thing that you can do.  Python isn't viable language for game development anymore, that was over 10 years ago.  It's just not a popular nor ideal choice for game development these days for many technological reasons.

why are standalone games no longer a thing and everything must be released by steam now ? why can't we open games by .exes anymore ?
Because 1998 was 18 years ago.   Time to get on with the program, bud.  Yeah I know...  90's is long over and dead.  I miss those times, but hey... 20's is coming up. Let's embrace more good times and not waste time dwelling on the past, eh?

Really, it seems like its only chosen strictly by people who want to make max profit now that unreal, crytec, ect. are all more or less free.  The only other reason I can imagine is "hey we didnt want to restrict the game to only people that bought a pc in the last 5 years"
you can do fun stuff in just about any engine, unitys physics always gave me problems in the little that ive messed around with it though.

That's a very narrow perspective view on how game development business work just because you had bad experience with few indie games.

Gaben is a fat greedy bastard and DRM is ruining games. Don't even get me started with always online bs.
Fat people are as all-american as you can get. Did you spend all your time away on Tumblr or something?

*Sigh* And here I sit, reading these little quip comments that doesn't provide any form of an actual complaint to non-deliberate issues that millions of players use in the last 12 years of service.  Rationalizing his opinion being backed by common simpleton in a form of inflated double-standard behavior, resorting to slandering in befitting simpler informal derogatory terms that has nothing to do with any of the trending topics. Instead of getting enticement into morose stance that begs me to face-palm to tender my cold sober dejected groaning misery pain.  I'm just gonna ignore the troll. Hope everyone else will do the same. :)
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1083 on: May 04, 2016, 07:38:43 AM »
Well, there's still the perfectly legit complaint about DRM. I like being able to actually own my games, ty.
Also, who are you?
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:54 AM »
Well, there's still the perfectly legit complaint about DRM. I like being able to actually own my games, ty.
Also, who are you?
Yeah, I do find it sad how this was talked down as if it was just some pointless discussion and how some verteran members just find it bad/even do statements like "why would the creators want to have anything to do with this forum". Nowadays it's like "oh you mention DRM, shut up you're wrong".

One thing that does worry me through is the unity file format, I can imagine that being an issue if you have to un and repack everything instead of simply opening up a .py file in notepad and doing some adjustments to test.

Why is that a problem and not with any other game formats?  You're kinda making an absurd excuse for something that really sound like it's the only thing that you can do.  Python isn't viable language for game development anymore, that was over 10 years ago.  It's just not a popular nor ideal choice for game development these days for many technological reasons.

why are standalone games no longer a thing and everything must be released by steam now ? why can't we open games by .exes anymore ?
Because 1998 was 18 years ago.   Time to get on with the program, bud.  Yeah I know...  90's is long over and dead.  I miss those times, but hey... 20's is coming up. Let's embrace more good times and not waste time dwelling on the past, eh?

Really, it seems like its only chosen strictly by people who want to make max profit now that unreal, crytec, ect. are all more or less free.  The only other reason I can imagine is "hey we didnt want to restrict the game to only people that bought a pc in the last 5 years"
you can do fun stuff in just about any engine, unitys physics always gave me problems in the little that ive messed around with it though.

That's a very narrow perspective view on how game development business work just because you had bad experience with few indie games.

Gaben is a fat greedy bastard and DRM is ruining games. Don't even get me started with always online bs.
Fat people are as all-american as you can get. Did you spend all your time away on Tumblr or something?

*Sigh* And here I sit, reading these little quip comments that doesn't provide any form of an actual complaint to non-deliberate issues that millions of players use in the last 12 years of service.  Rationalizing his opinion being backed by common simpleton in a form of inflated double-standard behavior, resorting to slandering in befitting simpler informal derogatory terms that has nothing to do with any of the trending topics. Instead of getting enticement into morose stance that begs me to face-palm to tender my cold sober dejected groaning misery pain.  I'm just gonna ignore the troll. Hope everyone else will do the same. :)
Oh yeah Python's bad and we must all now use mainstream stuff, just like with Steam. Let me guess coding games from scratch no longer is a thing either. Right it's just the indie games that are doing bad stuff, not like mainstream game developers start releasing alpha games as finished product.

You want actual complaints: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=17690.msg700451#msg700451
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1085 on: May 04, 2016, 08:05:13 AM »

He's totally right tho. Us Americans are consistently on top when it comes to the obesity market. You can't go through a single town without driving by some mcdonald's or burger king or wendy's or whatever.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1086 on: May 04, 2016, 08:22:14 AM »
Seriously, calm down people.

Everyone has differing opinions on everything, yeah, wonderful, can we not have arguments, accusations and off topic in here please.

The game is being released as the devs feel fit and that's an end to it. We can't suddenly make them not release on Steam or (worse still) just change the engine.

This thread is not giving a good impression to new users and our new developery overlords.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1087 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »
R01, what core issue do you have with Unity? I just dont get why you think its not suitable for this game.

MNB, what issue do you have with Steam's DRM? I get that its against your principles to buy something and not have legal ownership of it, but functionally its identical to having the game on disc once you've logged into steam.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: May 04, 2016, 08:36:37 AM »
R01, what core issue do you have with Unity? I just dont get why you think its not suitable for this game.

MNB, what issue do you have with Steam's DRM? I get that its against your principles to buy something and not have legal ownership of it, but functionally its identical to having the game on disc once you've logged into steam.
But if Steam ever goes down, you will never be able to play that game, which you payed for, again. With something like GOG, you can keep a copy in a disk and always have it.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1089 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
New RA3 trailer dropped
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »
An off-topic and flaming warning was given by craaig. And yet people are still posting off-topic...

Warns have been given. We don't mind that you discuss Steam and games and stuff, just don't do it in a thread about RA3.

There are two boards here that you may find useful if you want to continue this discussion:

https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?board=127.0

https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?board=125.0

Now stop with the offtopic, please.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:34:36 AM by Naryar »

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1091 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »
Oh yeah Python's bad and we must all now use mainstream stuff, just like with Steam. Let me guess coding games from scratch no longer is a thing either. Right it's just the indie games that are doing bad stuff, not like mainstream game developers start releasing alpha games as finished product.
You want actual complaints: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=17690.msg700451#msg700451

Python is a high-level programming started in 1991, 25 years ago, designed to have better readability codes.  But it's not designed for intensive optimization, high performance gaming with library, shaders library, api, driver supports, etc etc... In the last 25 years, game development worked toward more sounded standardized structure that promotes production, division job targets, and flexibility in the workforce between jobs or even companies.  Python is simply not ideal choice of that profession. Unity has Python interceptor, but I can't see how being stubborn, not using proper language for the job really going to justify this game's development growth.  In case you forget, the developers at  need to make money with their brand new company and publisher, good chances they will not be able to employ the time to educate their staff to use Python. Maybe outsource to one person to work on interceptor/compiling convertor.

Your tone has slightly implied that they shouldn't use Steam?  I'm not so sure that this company would actually take marketing advice from a random stranger on a 3rd party forum, whom may or may not have any experience in selling games. I'd give them kudos for using Steam because it would provide better chance to promote their sales on a VERY popular platform. The kind of sales and publicly that RA1 and RA2 never had. However, this really does not limit them from selling it anywhere else. They can, too, sell it on GOG, GMG, Kinguin, Humble Bundle, Impulse, Indie Royale, Desura, or even Kickstarter.  Heck, setup their own digital distribution on their website at the same time.  They simply chosen Steam because of workshop, beta versions control, discussion forum, data-reporting system, and maybe many more that I can't conclude at this moment. Signing up with Steam does not means the end of open modding or anything else for that matter. DRM or not, modding are still possible.  If they wishes to use DRM, that's their choice.

It's pretty damn unfortunate that very few indies and small studios has abused Greenlight, Kickstarter, Indiegogo as quick cash grab and never finish the promised games. However, It's also pretty damn unfortunate that there are much bigger assholes out there, buying up small honest studios, forcing labor work out of them and disbanding them in such a short time whenever teams reached their breaking points with high-stress work-hours.  We already have seen publishers destroying beloved studios and teams, limiting them creativity, innovations, and passions. Which resulted deep and silent hatred toward practicability line of working with any publishers and find themselves "panhandling" in a crowd with their well-done or decent presentation of their game design; on crowdfunding websites. Even if it means having your own publishing company to work with or run by someone personally knew and trusted better.

Welcome to the real world.  Not everything is black and white, nuts and bolts, or Steam and GOG.

EDIT:  Naryar posted while I was writing this post, didn't see it get posted.  I'm pretty much done with it as I've said all the things needed.

New RA3 trailer dropped

Yup, I see some improvement with the game mechanic itself but the graphic is still understandably poor and well within its budget.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1092 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:53 AM »
Just watched it on my phone. Need to watch it on my laptop again. Parking lot is back and the scorpionbot looks great

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: May 04, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
Watched the trailer. Appears to be a worthy Stock, v2.

Let's see what we can mod !

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: May 04, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
at 0:39 a the bot that charges at the scorpion seems to be kinda glitching as it flies of screen after touching the other one.
Also it looks a lot like ra1 to me

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1095 on: May 04, 2016, 10:52:37 AM »
>asks why r01 thinks unity is a bad choice for RA3
>asks why mnb doesnt like steam as a platform for distributing RA3
>warned for offtopic flaming
:(

So whos gonna buy on launch, whos gonna wait for reviews/gameplay

Edit:
Brief thoughts on the trailer:
The driving looks kinda floaty
They're showing footage where they still have placeholder art in the bot lab. Maybe a sign that theyre pushed for time/rushing?
Looks like it uses the same damage system as RA2, so popups are gonna be a thing again
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1096 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »
So whos gonna buy on launch, whos gonna wait for reviews/gameplay?
If nothing gets in my way, then I'll probably buy the game at launch, but if things do get in the way, then I'll probably wait for reviews and wait for a steam sale.

Judging by the trailer, I'm a little scared as it looks like RA1 with RA2 parts and physics that are kinda rubbing me the wrong way in certain areas.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1097 on: May 04, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »
So whos gonna buy on launch, whos gonna wait for reviews/gameplay

I'll be waiting for some reviews to come in, personally.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1098 on: May 04, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1099 on: May 04, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

Oh, and I love how they let have motors/etc sticking out of the bot, and they actually appear that way when you fight with them. It's a small level of realism, but I really like it.