5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 318049 times)

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1040 on: May 01, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
Heh. From the EULA:

Except as expressly permitted by applicable law, You may not decompile, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reproduce the Software.

Not that this has ever stopped anyone, but it's yet another example how lawyers are the main reason why we can never have nice things.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1041 on: May 01, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »
I feel like they just slapped on a generic EULA that they probably won't even enforce.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1042 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
So no update for this weekend as well?

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1043 on: May 01, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »
I feel like they just slapped on a generic EULA that they probably won't even enforce.
Possibly, then again pretty much all games that got mods had this, so in the end it's just like uploading music videos or TV replays on YT, hope that the producers aren't a ---- and let you do that stuff.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1044 on: May 02, 2016, 05:33:30 AM »
Heh. From the EULA:

Except as expressly permitted by applicable law, You may not decompile, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reproduce the Software.

Not that this has ever stopped anyone, but it's yet another example how lawyers are the main reason why we can never have nice things.
Seeing as they've come out and explicitly endorsed modding, I don't think it'll be an issue.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1045 on: May 02, 2016, 06:06:31 AM »
R01 has a good point. we're going to need connection, Steam BS and stuff to make ra3 work.

why are standalone games no longer a thing and everything must be released by steam now ? why can't we open games by .exes anymore ?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1046 on: May 02, 2016, 06:50:07 AM »
There's a bunch of pluses for a dev really. Prebuilt online marketplace with loads of exposure/existing users and DRM stuff I imagine are 2 of the biggies.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1047 on: May 02, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
R01 has a good point. we're going to need connection, Steam BS and stuff to make ra3 work.

why are standalone games no longer a thing and everything must be released by steam now ? why can't we open games by .exes anymore ?
They're still a thing, at least for those devs that do release on GOG and Humble(and don't call that version inferior), and I guess it's because those big companies think that pirates are the biggest scum of the internet/DRM is actually protecting them from it.

There's a bunch of pluses for a dev really. Prebuilt online marketplace with loads of exposure/existing users and DRM stuff I imagine are 2 of the biggies.
GOG and Humble do have a big online place as well with GOG even featuring their own, completely optional, client(still in beta but looks promising). It's just that steam's more known to all those "normal" people, but as soon as you ask other guys with more advanced knowledge they will know about DRM free games.

As for DRM, if you think that it protects piracy, then I'll have to tell you that it doesn't do that much, not going to go into any details, but unless it has specialized valve stuff in it, it's very easy to bypass, and hey even if it isn't, all it's going to do is keep the small pirates away while big ones(not going to name any names here) will still get it done and be the main distribution source, so in the end it only helps the bigger ones getting more and more popular.

I hope that this didn't sound offensive in any way, don't want to sound so negatively to this really nice community, especially not to staff members.

Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1048 on: May 02, 2016, 08:15:53 AM »
GOG and Humble do have a big online place as well with GOG even featuring their own, completely optional, client(still in beta but looks promising). It's just that steam's more known to all those "normal" people, but as soon as you ask other guys with more advanced knowledge they will know about DRM free games.

As for DRM, if you think that it protects piracy, then I'll have to tell you that it doesn't do that much, not going to go into any details, but unless it has specialized valve stuff in it, it's very easy to bypass, and hey even if it isn't, all it's going to do is keep the small pirates away while big ones(not going to name any names here) will still get it done and be the main distribution source, so in the end it only helps the bigger ones getting more and more popular.

Yeah, as you say, Steam's more well known to the general public, so not publishing there would be a dumb af marketing move.
And I'm not saying the DRM will do much. Just that it would be a plus to devs who want to try and make money by making it harder to pirate. Understandable, in my opinion.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1049 on: May 02, 2016, 08:20:10 AM »
This bikeshedding about Steam is one of the reasons we can't have nice things.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1050 on: May 02, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
Just do a DRM free and Steam release(and optionally allow the Steam version to run without being connected), what would be the problem in that?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1051 on: May 02, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »
Just do a DRM free and Steam release(and optionally allow the Steam version to run without being connected), what would be the problem in that?
I don't think you understood me. My point is that arguing about this at all (for whatever side - DRM-free, DRM-laden, opensource, soulbound, ...) is counterproductive and pointless.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1052 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
Steam really is cancer though. I have made a point to never install it. I'd hate to have to give in and do so once RA3 comes out.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1053 on: May 02, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
Steam really is cancer though. I have made a point to never install it. I'd hate to have to give in and do so once RA3 comes out.
What issue do you have with it? I think it's a really neat piece of software. Allows you to get games super cheap too.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1054 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »
Gaben is a fat greedy bastard and DRM is ruining games. Don't even get me started with always online bs.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1055 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
Gaben is a fat greedy bastard and DRM is ruining games. Don't even get me started with always online bs.
1) Steam DRM isn't always online.
2) How is Gaben a greedy bastard?
3) How is steam DRM ruining games? It's far less invasive than alternative DRM methods like SecuROM

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1056 on: May 02, 2016, 10:31:45 AM »

if by always on you mean logging online once a month or so.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1057 on: May 02, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
his eating habits
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1058 on: May 02, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
1) Steam DRM isn't always online.
3) How is steam DRM ruining games? It's far less invasive than alternative DRM methods like SecuROM
You need to login at least once in a month(and hope that steam doesn't drop this value which it can sometimes do)
I think he's talking about DRM in general here.
I could post many reasons and discuss here but I don't really want to, so let me just mention some small things:
I wasn't too bothered with steam but started to get more annoyed when they changed some stuff last year:
You can no longer become a "premium" account if you only use gift codes, so you NEED to spend money. Looking at that, I wouldn't have been able to get a premium steam account(without premium you can basically do nothing community wise, no adding friends, joining group chats and more). What about people who earn their games by doing stuff for others or buy keys from a different site/humble packs?
Another issue for me is that I used steam to talk to my friends, it was nice but if you got someone completely new they would have to spend their money just to unlock that feature.

Link filter
This thing is just so annoying, having to wait for it to load(and not even work half of the time) just because someone linked me a picture on imgur, oh and then it complains that a site which is clearly safe is unsafe, with no way to turn it off.

Both of those were added to reduce scammers, while they do have a point I seriously have to ask, how retarded do people have to get to give everyone their password, the chat already shows that you should never give someone their password and are you just going to enter your username and password on some random site because a guy said "hey free steam games login"?

Ever since they changed the design(which I really dislike but that's personal opinion) the steam community login has been unstable, go to the community tab and you'll be greeted with a login screen 75% of the time, they did improve it a bit so it's only 25% now, but tell me how you break something like that, and let's not forget what happened Xmas 2015 when you were able to access and view other accounts...
Videos in the community tab can also cause freezes where the only way to fix the community page is to restart steam.

Doesn't really count but what do all steam guys say to this? "oh it's your pc having issues with steam"(that's actually what a steam moderator/manager once said to me).
Tell me how this system should be having problems with their minimum requirements:

About having games for a cheap price, there are other places which have them for a way cheaper price, get a "pay what you want" humble bundle, support stuff and get DRM free stuff on top of that, hell yeah, I'm paying more for that.

As for what Craaig said about it making stuff harder to pirate, that's true but just for those small hobby pirates, the big ones will still get it done, and what bothers me here the most is that the customer gets treated as pirate "oh you could be a potential pirate which are the worst people on the world, here deal with all those security measurements" remember when you were able to backup games on a USB drive, move them to other drives and just launch them? Nope not possible without having steam installed, running and connected.

So, why should I deal with all this bs when places like GOG and Humble give me the ability to install the game anywhere I want with the ability to get older revisions/versions of a game and a completely free, optional client(which is still in beta and a bit unstable, but it does work)?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1059 on: May 02, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »

You're just shooting yourself in the foot with that statement. Yes, people commonly choose Unity for many reasons...  I don't see how that make Unity a bad engine to develop on just because it had attracted a lot of low-budget indies developers, even one-man dev.

Really, it seems like its only chosen strictly by people who want to make max profit now that unreal, crytec, ect. are all more or less free.  The only other reason I can imagine is "hey we didnt want to restrict the game to only people that bought a pc in the last 5 years"
you can do fun stuff in just about any engine, unitys physics always gave me problems in the little that ive messed around with it though.