5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317055 times)

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #880 on: April 11, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »
When RA3 is out, I create good bots (but bad building skill)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #881 on: April 11, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Did they skip QA 3 ?

No

Hm, apparently on my phone I could only see 2 and 4

Here's hoping there's a motor that doesn't backdrive (like the old servo motor) ... if so I may have an evil plan that was just too big and heavy for ra2 vanilla.

I hope to god there's some sort of mirror or rotate functionality, lining sh** up and rebuilding a chasis over and over so everything fits took like 90% of my build time.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #882 on: April 11, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
in the video you can see that we will be able to relocate components even when there's another one is attached to it. pretty sure you can edit the chassis during building as well then. even though those two things are not related

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: April 11, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
sucks that pax east is already sold out. idk how many of us are near boston though, hopefully they'll take good pictures for fb and twitter

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Rene Descartes#7925
« Reply #884 on: April 11, 2016, 02:23:14 PM »
Did they skip QA 3 ?

No

Hm, apparently on my phone I could only see 2 and 4

Here's hoping there's a motor that doesn't backdrive (like the old servo motor) ... if so I may have an evil plan that was just too big and heavy for ra2 vanilla.

I hope to god there's some sort of mirror or rotate functionality, lining sh** up and rebuilding a chasis over and over so everything fits took like 90% of my build time.
Same here, rebuilding a chassis to fit one or two more components or two shave some weight off is a huge bugbear of RA2 I have

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #885 on: April 11, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »
in the video you can see that we will be able to relocate components even when there's another one is attached to it. pretty sure you can edit the chassis during building as well then. even though those two things are not related

We'll see, what they seemed to show was a copy + paste, I'd like the ability to make a radial array or mirroring from one side to the other, like say you make a triangle body and want a spike at each corner, it's a /tremendous/ pain in the ass.  At least have visible coordinates so you can tell if the parts are lined up.

Also no more motors with offset shafts from the centerline >.>

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #886 on: April 11, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
There is no limit currently defined, nor do we intend to provide a limit initially. Testing every permutation and combination of components would take quite a long time and we don't want to set an arbitrary limit. We want the user to be able to experiment with the bot creation as much as possible and discover what inherent limitations there are. What does that mean? Well let's say you chain 100 components together and it works, that's awesome, if you add the 101st component and the physics fail and things fly apart, well "The more you know".
There is no limit currently defined, nor do we intend to provide a limit initially.
There is no limit

At this point, I don't care if the game will be sh'it or not.
They already satisfied me with this, alone.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • "Fast and Furious." - Stock Team SPARK
    • UCe_o8LyJBuavehO3pRU5ilg
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #887 on: April 11, 2016, 09:13:30 PM »
There is no limit currently defined, nor do we intend to provide a limit initially. Testing every permutation and combination of components would take quite a long time and we don't want to set an arbitrary limit. We want the user to be able to experiment with the bot creation as much as possible and discover what inherent limitations there are. What does that mean? Well let's say you chain 100 components together and it works, that's awesome, if you add the 101st component and the physics fail and things fly apart, well "The more you know".
There is no limit currently defined, nor do we intend to provide a limit initially.
There is no limit

At this point, I don't care if the game will be sh'it or not.
They already satisfied me with this, alone.

THANK **** ON A LADDER

Now we don't have to use long components
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #888 on: April 11, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »
Now we don't have to use anti-ballasts

Uh... pretty sure this refers to rule of 7, not weight limits.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #889 on: April 11, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
just download serge's unlimted mass mod
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #890 on: April 11, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
Sorry I read it wrong
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #891 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
I find it funny how the only "limit" they hint at, is how far the physics engine will let things work.
This was already common knowledge to all of us. I mean, you can stick everything but the kitchen sink to a motor/etc, and see if it spins/activates/etc, and if it doesn't, then you know you've gone too far.
But now.... Since it lacks an actual limit and is now purely up to the physics of if it works or not... This is going to make things so much more interesting.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #892 on: April 11, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »
I find it funny how the only "limit" they hint at, is how far the physics engine will let things work.
This was already common knowledge to all of us. I mean, you can stick everything but the kitchen sink to a motor/etc, and see if it spins/activates/etc, and if it doesn't, then you know you've gone too far.
But now.... Since it lacks an actual limit and is now purely up to the physics of if it works or not... This is going to make things so much more interesting.

I mean you can't stick the Ruler on

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #893 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »
It depends how they code the physics, since all objects are rigid in RA2 they made all the shafts flexible (or else it would have been boring with impacts not doing anything) physics explosions were just the engine being unable to carry zeros and deal with bad things happening.

I've got to assume modern systems are more stable, I've made some bonkers stuff in games like besiege that dont detonate all the tim, as long as the energy levels are high enough for fights to not be boring, but not so high you cant control anything, there's no reason to not just have shafts and hinges be on impossible to move rotation axis's, so stuff that would cause detonations like spinners on spinners "could" be doable.

I'm just hoping whatever bugs show up, and there will be a bunch, won't be gamebreaking, or can be modded into reasonableness.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #894 on: April 12, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »
I swear to christ if this actually runs off that godawful piece of performance sh** unity engine you have officially lost 5 customers. NONE of my friends play any game ran on that stupid gamemaker/indie toy. I'm sorry but if that's the case we're out. Please make it on a REAL engine like unreal, they even offer tutorials on converting from unity.

:ouch: not him and his friends!

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #895 on: April 12, 2016, 12:11:45 AM »
whatever you do dont pay attention to that badwolf66 guy on steam he has some grade A awful ideas
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #896 on: April 12, 2016, 12:26:56 AM »
Quote from: Badwolf66
Also a Record your battle option so you can easily edit it on WMM, Sony Vegas or whiever (sic) video software you may use.

This guy knows that there's already plenty of software out there for recording game footage, right?

The official tourney idea might be cool though. I'd enter an RA3T#1.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #897 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:37 AM »
An official tourney based on my original RA2 annual series will begin discussion shortly after the release of RA3 so we can get a feel for where the meta is headed and reorganize the tournament staff for said tournament.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #898 on: April 12, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »
im just hyped we can drive bots for said tournament. ai tourneys just dont have the same kick man
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #899 on: April 12, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
We'd obviously need to accommodate differing time zones, though, and that can be difficult.