5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317087 times)

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #840 on: April 02, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »
Honestly, if the DLC makes me feel that I'm getting more with the game and doesn't affect online play, then I'll be fine as games like Sm4sh and Hyrule Warriors were pretty good with this.  If it costs more than what it should be worth and/or feels like it should have been in the main game to begin with, then it might be a problem.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #841 on: April 02, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
I wrote an email to them and they answered all my questions witin the q&a .
About bendable components rule of seven paintable components chassis shape likr a pyramid and even the thing with the box

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: April 02, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
For me one big question still remains. How well will Flippers and such be able to do in RA3.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline TheUnknownRobotics

• UnknownMartin
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Sm4sh NNID: Nixtram
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #843 on: April 02, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
I'm just hoping that they're creating a better multiplayer that can doesn't produce lag and doesn't crash the game. My other concern is how many bots will be able to fight. Is it still 4? (If this is already answered... sorry, didn't check)
Mostly a lurker and Sm4sh Bros. player nowadays. :3

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #844 on: April 02, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
and even the thing with the box
Thing with the box?

After reading this update i'm fairly pleased to read what they're saying. I also don't really see any issue with there being only one team profile in the game, I kinda found it a little annoying to find some robots I wanted to use sometimes. Back in the day it wasn't a problem when I deliberately made a team for everything but I don't have those files anymore. Actually I need to get some sort of IDE to USB adapter and see if I can't pull off the old files of this old drive, it got reformatted but I don't think it was heavily used. I might be able to pull a lot of my old bots and components off. The other problem is i've been using it as a coaster for a little while now cause I didn't think I was gonna use it again ever...

Excited for the rule of 7 to be gone. I used to be able to deal with it, but now it's just too much to worry about for me. I see some crazy designs you guys make and I just couldn't possibly figure out how to do anything close lol.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #845 on: April 02, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
Quote from: from Thyrus on Steam
So before the new q&a comes online I took another look at the screenshot with the bot that has the battle axe tribar spinning weapon. I noticed the cones from ra2 hiding under the desc on the right and a box under another table on the left. Now the queation is:
What's in the box? What's in the F-ing box? Is it a head?

Quote from:  Answer from the Devs on Steam
>What's in the box?

The crushed dreams of the RA III supporters if we don't get things right...the pressure.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #846 on: April 02, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »
I'm just hoping that they're creating a better multiplayer that can doesn't produce lag and doesn't crash the game. My other concern is how many bots will be able to fight. Is it still 4? (If this is already answered... sorry, didn't check)

I'm pretty sure they still said the max is 4. I'd love a rumble mode as much as the next person but idk how much effort that would take/how difficult it would be to process. Imagine RA2 trying to run a rumble with 16 superheavyweights.

I do like the custom weightclass idea that they're planning on implementing. I think that's a great idea. I do hope this means that we won't be seeing a strict weight limiter in the botlab.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #847 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »
BUT I MISS MY EASY TO UNDERSTAND 248.9 KG WEIGHT LIMIT GUYS
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #848 on: April 02, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Let's not forget that it was only sometimes 248.9, and had a 50% chance of being 249.0.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #849 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
Let's not forget that it was only sometimes 248.9, and had a 50% chance of being 249.0.

same goes for 799.9 and 800.0
sometimes a bot weighs 799.94 which it rounds down and sometimes it weighs 799.95 and it rounds up. look in the bot file and you can usually scrap a little bit off the chassis where your visible weight doesn't go down but your secret weight does
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #850 on: April 03, 2016, 06:58:58 AM »

same goes for 799.9 and 800.0
sometimes a bot weighs 799.94 which it rounds down and sometimes it weighs 799.95 and it rounds up. look in the bot file and you can usually scrap a little bit off the chassis where your visible weight doesn't go down but your secret weight does

funny enough, i thought you were one of those "BFE is evil !!!111" guys

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #851 on: April 03, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
>Is there a limit to chaining components together, a rule of 7 components chained in a row?

There is no limit currently defined, nor do we intend to provide a limit initially. Testing every permutation and combination of components would take quite a long time and we don't want to set an arbitrary limit. We want the user to be able to experiment with the bot creation as much as possible and discover what inherent limitations there are. What does that mean? Well let's say you chain 100 components together and it works, that's awesome, if you add the 101st component and the physics fail and things fly apart, well "The more you know".

>Will there be belts or chains?

The short answer is no. The longer answer is that while we don't intend to have belts or chains for the aesthetic side of bot creation, we will have smaller motors that will attach to the end of extenders that can accomplish things similar to what a belt and chain might.

Ugh...

I'm not liking this idea of balance in my mind, the only thing I can think of to counteract the kind of tremendous spam this will seem to spawn would be to have damage chain backwards through the components, so maybe the part that gets hit takes 100% damage then the next part takes half of that then the next half of that and on and on, or something, I dont know, tiny motors powerful enough to use on infinite chains is just... O_o yo dog I heard you like spinners on your spinners.

Maybe balance it with batteries?  They were kind of an afterthought in ra2, I'm still thinking something like. (in addition to capacity like ra2)
-torque from your motors turns into "heat" units (less at full spin, more when spinning up, basically amps)
-each battery eats however many heat units per second, more batteries eat more heat per second, bigger batteries more efficient than more smaller ones
-too much heat, maybe rapidly decrease capacity (batteries burning up)? chassis or internal parts damage(?)
It just doesn't seem like robot fighting without robots battery/motor fires or really pushing players to really flirt with that red line of self destruction.

where did you guys send your questions in?

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #852 on: April 03, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
I asked the marketing guy. He gave me his mail and forwardet it to the devs

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #853 on: April 03, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa...  Let's not start bugging the devs with emails.   Keep the questions on the forum.  No need to make it an hassle.  I've seen that happened to different developers and things got out of hands when people started to accuse of favoritism.

It's easy for a lot of us have so many questions and have our worries about the game itself.   Keep it on the forum so others can see same question being asked already.

In fact... we really need RA3 thread section on the forum, to contain all RA3 related threads.  Admins/mods, can we please get started on that?
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #854 on: April 03, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
In fact... we really need RA3 thread section on the forum, to contain all RA3 related threads.  Admins/mods, can we please get started on that?

It's currently in discussion :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #855 on: April 03, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
Calling dibs on the first RA3 tournament.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #856 on: April 04, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »
Calling dibs on the first RA3 bot at launch

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • "Fast and Furious." - Stock Team SPARK
    • UCe_o8LyJBuavehO3pRU5ilg
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #857 on: April 04, 2016, 10:26:47 AM »
What will the RA3 standard style of build be like though?
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #858 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
Probably IRL since stock/DSL-S as only possible because of how messed up RA2's damage calculation was.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #859 on: April 04, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
Time will tell. Pretty sure popups will still be very good