5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317093 times)

Offline RTC

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Owen Wilson on Ritalin and 'Roids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #820 on: March 31, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »
Has there be any mention of the parts being directly imported from RA2 being modified in any kind of way, such as modification of normals, or general buffs/nerfs?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #821 on: March 31, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
That sort of stuff I imagine we'll only know on release, as it's likely just the visual models they're using.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #822 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »
I'm curious as to how the points system will work, and if weaponless flippers/push/control bots will get some love in that regard

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #823 on: April 01, 2016, 12:20:26 AM »
I have a feeling, looking at what we have here, that walkerbots won't be viable. But they might surprise us.

Also hey it's ACAMS again :D Been a loooooong time.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #824 on: April 01, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
So is today the day we find out it was all April fools?
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #825 on: April 01, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
Emergency Will be back on RA3?

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #826 on: April 01, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I have a feeling, looking at what we have here, that walkerbots won't be viable. But they might surprise us.

Also hey it's ACAMS again :D Been a loooooong time.

It's entirely on if the tourneys we run allow a weight bonus for them or what, it would be virtually impossible to program in a walker weight bonus that couldn't be exploited greatly.

It'll be interesting to see how they are doing lever/lifter/ect. forces and such, I have a few RA2 ideas that never panned out since the only way for them to work was the funky dunky servo drive

Offline DaProf

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #827 on: April 01, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
hi, only been playing ra2 for a couple of months and then subsequently got super hyped for ra3, just signed up for any news and I would be really happy if someone could show me around

Offline Dexterhunter

• Rep: 1
  • spiders live outside
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #828 on: April 01, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
Is it April Fool's? Can we all go home and suffer now

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #829 on: April 01, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
Just asking something slightly off topic: where do you go if you want to ask questions about things like development and all that to the developers?
They answered some questions on the Steam page. It seems like they just lurk the discussions on Steam/GTM/Youtube, so if you just mention something in this thread maybe they'll see it. Not sure if there's a way to directly contact them (someone mentioned e-mail/Twitter earlier), but apparently people have gone to their offices which are in Minnesota.
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your continued questions and support! You have definitely kept us busy this week reviewing feedback from the Steam community, the Gametechmods forums, Youtube, and questions we received from two members of the mod community who were kind enough to come into our offices.
hi, only been playing ra2 for a couple of months and then subsequently got super hyped for ra3, just signed up for any news and I would be really happy if someone could show me around
Hello! Have you been playing the original game, or one of the mods? I would think you've browsed GTM a bit if you've been playing for a while, but if you're brand new then welcome to the community! If you'd like to improve your building feel free to take a look at Tutorials and Tips and create a Showcase thread to show your builds and get feedback. We're not exactly the most active place, but if you wanna see what everyone else is up to I recommend checking out their showcases or the Tournaments section. If you wanna talk about anything else, you should create a thread in a different section since this topic is for RA3; either Off-Topic Discussion or Chatterbox would work, though the latter is hidden to you until you join properly.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #830 on: April 02, 2016, 01:14:29 AM »
It's entirely on if the tourneys we run allow a weight bonus for them or what, it would be virtually impossible to program in a walker weight bonus that couldn't be exploited greatly.

It'll be interesting to see how they are doing lever/lifter/ect. forces and such, I have a few RA2 ideas that never panned out since the only way for them to work was the funky dunky servo drive
It's been quite a while, but are there any walkers in RA2? From what I remember the physics don't really allow you to make a walker. So weight limits and bonuses aside I think it's sort of a wait and see if the physics of RA3 will allow it.
I've never understood the fascination of walkers to be honest. I mean sure they look cool, and if you do it right it gives you extra weight for other things you want to do to your robot. But it just seems so inferior to a typical wheel or tread style of mobility. I'm not saying there aren't successful bots out there, but iirc the ones that were were more shuffle bots. Still classified as walkers, but they more vibrated their way across the floor rather than actually walked.

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #831 on: April 02, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
If walkers workn it would at least open up more possibilities for art bots. Still I doubt that they will be making walker bots functional with unity, or at least it shouldn't be a priority if they still need to create new componenets.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #832 on: April 02, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
The closest I'd say RA2 got to walkers is weapon crawlers, the game just doesn't feature the sort of control or mechanical complexity a true walker requires.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #833 on: April 02, 2016, 08:29:38 AM »
We have to keep in mind that this is a game and not a Simulation.  The later would be cool to have though

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #834 on: April 02, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
We have to keep in mind that this is a game and not a Simulation.  The later would be cool to have though
If this game gets really successful I can see people trying to clone this game.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #835 on: April 02, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #836 on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
No more rule of seven, so that's cool.
Paid DLC is still being considered. I actually don't mind as long as we get everything we regularly would from the start (Like something like redbird motors shouldn't be DLC) and the DLC is wacky extras of some sort. (however nothing op or game changing, i don't want some pay-to-win business going on.) Also if it doesn't effect modding, then it doesn't matter imo
And Lastly, they shouldn't be too worried about coming up to our expectations.
I mean, it means so much that they're doing this for such a small community of a game 13 years old.
If you're reading this RA3 team, thanks for caring.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #837 on: April 02, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »
im against dlc period but it absolutely CANNOT be anything that interferes with creativity I.e. components
something like dlc arenas would be less harmful but isnt extra stuff what modding is for anyway? a major worry of mine if they use dlc is they will try to limit modding to make people buy it and that will absolutely kill the game long term.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #838 on: April 02, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »
I was talking to Andy yesterday. He said there's going to be 6 paid DLC, including one that provides 8 new components for only $18.88, and they're waaay better than the stock components.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #839 on: April 02, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
Keeping the door open for paid DLC gives us flexibility to work with content creators who may have unique content that we can only obtain at an extra cost.
in cases where there's a cool piece of content that we can only obtain by supporting paid DLC.
I would hope this means official licencing for real life bots/arenas, and not selling user-created content for a quick buck.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER