5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317986 times)

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #640 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
You'd probably need a very advanced softbody engine to make crushers actually work. I don't think it's too much of a loss honestly.
Yeah, agreed. Unity is actually pretty good for a game like this and I can see it working well. It's one of the easier game engines to use as well so hopefully they can get a lot done in the time constraint and have a decent amount of content.

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #641 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
Here's a thought: can the chassis be ruptured and punctured? As opposed to just deforming it and damaging the control board. This would allow for crushers that could precisely damage internal components.
Unity with PhysX. I strongly doubt we'll get working crushers at all, realistically, it's just too difficult to do.

I doubt we're going to get anything more than a tuned up RA2, from the short video it looks like an actual grid, and cut+pasting chains of components is in, which is neat.  Engine choice and such is just being propelled by whatever they can churn out a product with as much profit per unit is possible.

For crushers you really don't need to go all-in soft body physics, you could chop the body into splines/faces/voxels and do it that way if you really wanted, but having a great product has never been this teams focus, it's raw turning out a dicey outsourced product for maximum profit to take advantage of a tend, from the videos it appears that they are going with the same dicey "if a wheel is contacting a surface apply a force like a rocket" instead of real traction, for example.
ra2 with just "better" physics that dont detonate as much, better netcode, ect. does seem like an okay game, what'll decide if its any good and multiplayable is if we can get a good overarching mod without any of the unbalanced garbage thats functional in multiplayer.  If we have control over "the" big mod, you can create a metagame by changing balance of some parts (probably damage/hp/rpm/ect. soft values not weight)  between tourneys and such which will stop the multiplayer game from stagnating into what we all know multiplayer RA2 turned into after the first 6 months or so.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #642 on: March 22, 2016, 07:42:18 PM »
The whole wheel thing would surprise me given how Unity hands you wheel physics on a platter

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: March 22, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »
Here's a thought: can the chassis be ruptured and punctured? As opposed to just deforming it and damaging the control board. This would allow for crushers that could precisely damage internal components.
Unity with PhysX. I strongly doubt we'll get working crushers at all, realistically, it's just too difficult to do.

I doubt we're going to get anything more than a tuned up RA2, from the short video it looks like an actual grid, and cut+pasting chains of components is in, which is neat.  Engine choice and such is just being propelled by whatever they can churn out a product with as much profit per unit is possible.

For crushers you really don't need to go all-in soft body physics, you could chop the body into splines/faces/voxels and do it that way if you really wanted, but having a great product has never been this teams focus, it's raw turning out a dicey outsourced product for maximum profit to take advantage of a tend, from the videos it appears that they are going with the same dicey "if a wheel is contacting a surface apply a force like a rocket" instead of real traction, for example.
ra2 with just "better" physics that dont detonate as much, better netcode, ect. does seem like an okay game, what'll decide if its any good and multiplayable is if we can get a good overarching mod without any of the unbalanced garbage thats functional in multiplayer.  If we have control over "the" big mod, you can create a metagame by changing balance of some parts (probably damage/hp/rpm/ect. soft values not weight)  between tourneys and such which will stop the multiplayer game from stagnating into what we all know multiplayer RA2 turned into after the first 6 months or so.

An evolving metagame would be sick. I'm thinking of something like Dota, where 1 person hands out nerf/buffs and brings elements of the game into/out of the meta
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »

An evolving metagame would be sick. I'm thinking of something like Dota, where 1 person hands out nerf/buffs and brings elements of the game into/out of the meta
Wouldn't the devs be the one who doles out the buffs/nerfs ?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #645 on: March 23, 2016, 02:42:27 AM »
Well Icefrog works for Valve. I think in this case we would need a member of the community to do it, either by modding stock components or by making their own mod and updating  it

Btw are we gonna be building DSL-S style or standard stock style? I think stock's uber efficient building style drives away new players and really stifles creativity.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: March 23, 2016, 03:05:04 AM »
Well Icefrog works for Valve. I think in this case we would need a member of the community to do it, either by modding stock components or by making their own mod and updating  it

Btw are we gonna be building DSL-S style or standard stock style? I think stock's uber efficient building style drives away new players and really stifles creativity.

I think we'll probably have to see how the game performs, first...

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: March 23, 2016, 03:38:09 AM »

I don't think we'll ever be able to build standard stock style ever again considering thay Unity would never ever let stacking or snapper loading happen.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: March 23, 2016, 06:11:40 AM »
Depends on how vigilant they are with collision detection in the bot lab, even if you can't snapper load, you could do a Tempus Fugit/Fury style twin spinner if the game doesn't check if the tribars (assumably included in the game) will overlap with eachother or anything else at any point

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: March 23, 2016, 07:26:36 AM »
we'll see once the game is released if unrealistic, DSL-S and IRL are still possible.

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: March 23, 2016, 07:55:39 AM »
we'll see once the game is released if unrealistic, DSL-S and IRL are still possible.

Yeah there are a lot of "depends if _______"  But realistically, I dont see this being supported for very long after patch due to the way its produced (a bunch of outsourced people, not an actual game dev shop that would have staff onhand)  Without "something" shaking up the meta it's very likely a few apex designs (probably downloadable via workshop) will emerge and then thats it (at least for people who like varied games).  If you can get a lot of the community on board with a mod that you can tweak every few months to throw current dominant designs off their game a little, it would keep the bot lab/multiplayer interesting for a lot longer.

As long as it makes sense, I guess, I've found DSL to be a whole bunch of nonsense roughly balanced and thrown together willynilly but that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.  The "give everyone everything!" approach works for singleplayer, but in multiplayer it would not

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
RA2 has lived for many years after Gabriel Interactive stopped supporting it. If RA3 is indeed superior to RA2, it will go the same way.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: March 23, 2016, 09:37:15 AM »

As long as it makes sense, I guess, I've found DSL to be a whole bunch of nonsense roughly balanced and thrown together willynilly but that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.  The "give everyone everything!" approach works for singleplayer, but in multiplayer it would not
That's why Ironforge exists.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: March 23, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »
I guess I'm first person linking this video in here.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: March 23, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
Nice find. Robot Arena III section starts at around 3:40 to people who don't want to sit through some other dumb games.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: March 23, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »
Goliath looks pretty cool too tbh.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
The game seems really slippery though, wonder if they have their wheel physics on point ?

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: March 23, 2016, 11:27:14 AM »
Nothing we really didn't know already, and uses the trailer for footage. Fair enough.

I don't think much can be said about the physics using what we have, both robots use car steering axles so the fact the bots have turning circles (and would seem to be sliding because we can't see the wheels underneath the chassis) has to be discarded.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #658 on: March 23, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »
Goliath looks pretty cool too tbh.

Yeah I'm actually kinda interested in this. I like the materials/weather/area mechanic they mentioned.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Goliath!
« Reply #659 on: March 23, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Screw RA 3! Go Goliath
It does look really good though. might be worth a shot.

I found this guy who pointed out some things about RA3 that I mentioned as well