5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317976 times)

Offline cephalopod

Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #620 on: March 21, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »
I think there's a lot more lurkers here than any of us actually realise. So many people talk about GTM and RA2 in the robot combat communities yet don't have accounts (the 'it's a hoax' hoax that mnb set up tricked SO MANY people it's crazy)
Couldn't have done it without Andy :trollface :trollface :trollface

It's quite scary how you guys just planted a seed and it grew into a massive IT'S DEFINITELY NOT REAL thing :P
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #621 on: March 21, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
which one of you guys posted this
http://steamcommunity.com/app/363530/discussions/0/385428458177012223/

...why?

This post pissed me off so much. It just shows off the elitist "PC MURRSTURR RAYSS ZOMG" that, frankly, turns me away from buying a proper pc. High requirements does not make the game better. In fact, that is usually quite the opposite.
Yeah, the best way to torpedo those arguments are simply to say RA2 for 13 years. Sure, a game's graphics may be old but it ****ing works. (Civilization V is a good example of a 2011 game's graphics being timeless.)
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #622 on: March 21, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
Someone should also tweet Pewdiepie.
Do you remember me from the old days? Because that's how you get an influx of that sort of thing. Sorry, i'm all for new people joining the forum, i'm not ok with the pewds army joining the forum. lol.

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Rene Descartes#7925
« Reply #623 on: March 21, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
Someone should also tweet Pewdiepie.
Do you remember me from the old days? Because that's how you get an influx of that sort of thing. Sorry, i'm all for new people joining the forum, i'm not ok with the pewds army joining the forum. lol.
Oh Christ, if that were to happen then I'd actually be forced to get gud at building so I can have a reason to look down at them ._.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #624 on: March 21, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »
The last thing we need is a bunch more 11-year olds clogging up the forum. It's almost bad enough as it is.

then again this is old man "get off my dang lawn you kids" badnik over here so what do i know

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #625 on: March 21, 2016, 03:07:14 PM »
The last thing we need is a bunch more 11-year olds clogging up the forum. It's almost bad enough as it is.

then again this is old man "get off my dang lawn you kids" badnik over here so what do i know
Well if they behave themselves and attempt to get better at building rather than just being noisy memelords and cringe posters then it opulent be so bad.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: March 21, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »
Well it looks okay, so far, I'm not fond of the low rpm weapons and it seems like they are coding physics the same way as before... which is a little concerning, but the build system is better and hopefully the focus will be on multiplayer.

Our focus should be on making a balanced partset/mod as soon as possible to become a sort of standard, since pretty much all steam workshop games because a total cluster**** almost immediately and its hard to nail things down later.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #627 on: March 21, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »

ay but badnik you are forgetting we when joined we were the bunch of 11 year olds on the forum.
also considering nerdcubed has that video on ra2 with over 1 million views and there is like 3 people still around who joined because of that i dont see how pewdiepie playing it would make it much different.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #628 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »
even if he does do a video, most of the cancer will probably be contained to the steam fourms and not here
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #629 on: March 21, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
I agree with TDS on making a sort of standard for parts.

i dont see how pewdiepie playing it would make it much different.
Eh. Some of his followers are just massive sh**heads. Not all, but eh... it's pretty disgusting imo. But then i'm also just not really a pewds fan, for reasons i'm not gonna go into.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #630 on: March 21, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
Why is there so much debate about pewdiepie hypothetically making a video...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure making a standard mod should be pretty easy to do since we've already got loads of models from DSL and it's going to have mod support, though I don't really like the fact that they're making the steam workshop essentially just a bot exchange for the time being.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: March 21, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
Why is there so much debate about pewdiepie hypothetically making a video...

My guess is they remember how big of dipsh**s they were on aceuplink 12+ years ago :)

I agree with TDS on making a sort of standard for parts.

My preference is towards setting the bar really high, "I want the biggest motor, and a big shell, and fast drive, and to last 5 minutes!" shouldn't be something you can pull off all at once.  But the high battery draw and weights were like the first thing people stripped out of the ubermod to pilfer it for parts.
total freedom just leads to "how many interlocking spinners can I stack on this chasis" which is the opposite of pushing people towards creative designs.

All IMO :)

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #632 on: March 22, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
My guess is they remember how big of dipsh**s they were on aceuplink 12+ years ago :)
Yea basically that. I feel like there was a point I grew up a bit but yea... plus I still don't remember what I did that got me banned the last time on the original forums. I remember the time for being underage, and then getting unbanned because I had the parental permission to be on the forum that the age requirement needed to allow under 13's on the forum. I just don't really remember what got me banned after that. I just remember moving to AU somewhere in there and then eventually whatever happened to AU happened. But yea I was pretty immature and annoying back then, so it's because of that. At the same time Pewd's fans are sometimes even worse than some of us annoying ones from back then. Like I wasn't going out of my way to be an immature little dickhead, but a lot of his fans do. We really don't need that kind of thing around here, even if it is a brief couple weeks or month or however long.

My preference is towards setting the bar really high, "I want the biggest motor, and a big shell, and fast drive, and to last 5 minutes!" shouldn't be something you can pull off all at once.  But the high battery draw and weights were like the first thing people stripped out of the ubermod to pilfer it for parts.
total freedom just leads to "how many interlocking spinners can I stack on this chasis" which is the opposite of pushing people towards creative designs.
All IMO :)
I will agree and disagree with you there just a little. So back in the day I used a ton of custom parts on things, never used them online and only against AI. Also I can't remember really bragging about any of them and I didn't really have the means to show anything off from back then. I'd show them off but unfortunately I kinda can't do that because those bots are just gone. Forever. That computer had problems and had to be wiped and everything. I still have the drive and I wanna see what I can pull off of it, but i'm probably not gonna get much.
And even though I used a bunch of custom parts, antibalast overweight stuff... none of it was really super broken. I got pretty creative with the designs I could do from not being restricted. But then I also wasn't going for DPS stacked spinner gimmicks. I had a cool idea and I made it.
Limiting custom parts sorta kills that sort of creativity, however I know a lot of people will abuse it especially when it comes to online play. So because that's going to be a HUGE part of RA3, I understand and would like to see some sort of balance. How that's done well, i'm not very good at the balancing part of game design. So i'll leave that up to people who're better at it. Sure, a lot of the things I built were not possible were there not a way to put a massive battery in a bot like at least one of Lu-Tze's reactors would always do the trick. They were small, and stack-able if needed. I used those hex plates that allow you to raise a part in the air rediculously for some things. Never to hover anything above the bot actually, I still made something realistic. I never even went as far as modding bot files, I think I tried once and decided it wasn't for me and quit. But at the same time, building a bot like I did and then building a bot with the same parts but on some sort of limit are two different ways of being creative. I like both.

I really need to be going to bed here, stayed after work playing MTG and it got really late. I hope I didn't repeat myself too much in that. I'd proofread it but i'm admittedly too tired. (so don't post) ehh uh bleh *click*

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
I was once a pewdiepie fan, and I know how cancerous they are. Best not to let them know of this place. Plus, if pewdiepie finds the game sh**, we don't want the dev pulling a bear simulator and refusing to work on the game anymore.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #634 on: March 22, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
Right, let that be the last of Pewdiepie talk. Let's keep this RA3 related only.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #635 on: March 22, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »
you guys seem not to be able to understand what I was trying to say and start complaining about some guy on the internet and his fanbase. thumbs up.

as yugi said: let's move this back to the topic of Robot Arena 3

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #636 on: March 22, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
Here's a thought: can the chassis be ruptured and punctured? As opposed to just deforming it and damaging the control board. This would allow for crushers that could precisely damage internal components.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: March 22, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
Here's a thought: can the chassis be ruptured and punctured? As opposed to just deforming it and damaging the control board. This would allow for crushers that could precisely damage internal components.
Unity with PhysX. I strongly doubt we'll get working crushers at all, realistically, it's just too difficult to do.

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #638 on: March 22, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
Unity with PhysX. I strongly doubt we'll get working crushers at all, realistically, it's just too difficult to do.
Ech. Unity always seemed kinda meh as far as engines go. PhysX is cool but I would love it if we could have some kind of crusher.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #639 on: March 22, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
You'd probably need a very advanced softbody engine to make crushers actually work. I don't think it's too much of a loss honestly.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15