5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317052 times)

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »
Here's a question- people are talking about mod support, but who is here to modify it?

Can't speak for others but 10 years later, I'm back and looking forward to it. :D

And of course, the best part is the community from Steam.  There's always endless supply of modders coming from there.  Granted... if RA3 doesn't get Thumb-down to oblivion hell on release.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline Dexterhunter

• spiders live outside
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: March 18, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
imagine the ai tournaments from the single player, where you had to repair key components within a certain time frame, but online against other people.

wouldnt that be pretty neat?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #562 on: March 18, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »
^ That would be awesome.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #563 on: March 18, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
Kind of ambivalent about it. I loved Robot Arena 2, and put probably a hundred hours into it; and this looks like more of the same. By which I mean it literally looks like the same game. Literally everything in that movie, and everything on the Steam page, look like it is from the second game. The second game with HD textures, a different interface and Steam Workshop isn't the most horrible thing, but where is the "3" part?

The new 5-point chassis creation system and the fact that you now can chance the shape of the chassis while still having the bot parts attached instead of having to redo all over again qualifies as major sequel features i reckon.

The latter certainly would be good advancements if true, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that advancement to the series existing that I can find. The video appears to show that, but there is no explanation to how it works or what the limitations are. The Steam page has some marketing blurb that are so generic that they could easily apply to the second game in relation to the first as much as they can to the third in relation to the second.

I'm someone who has played the second game, a lot, and I'm not really sure what the advancements are here because barely any information has been released. How is this supposed to help people new to the series?

okay how do I tell this guy that RA3 is a legitimate sequel to RA2 and not just RA2HD ?

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #564 on: March 18, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
Kind of ambivalent about it. I loved Robot Arena 2, and put probably a hundred hours into it; and this looks like more of the same. By which I mean it literally looks like the same game. Literally everything in that movie, and everything on the Steam page, look like it is from the second game. The second game with HD textures, a different interface and Steam Workshop isn't the most horrible thing, but where is the "3" part?

The new 5-point chassis creation system and the fact that you now can chance the shape of the chassis while still having the bot parts attached instead of having to redo all over again qualifies as major sequel features i reckon.

The latter certainly would be good advancements if true, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that advancement to the series existing that I can find. The video appears to show that, but there is no explanation to how it works or what the limitations are. The Steam page has some marketing blurb that are so generic that they could easily apply to the second game in relation to the first as much as they can to the third in relation to the second.

I'm someone who has played the second game, a lot, and I'm not really sure what the advancements are here because barely any information has been released. How is this supposed to help people new to the series?

okay how do I tell this guy that RA3 is a legitimate sequel to RA2 and not just RA2HD ?
I don't remember a waterfall outdoors-y arena in RA2.

Offline Dexterhunter

• spiders live outside
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2016, 02:32:31 AM »
irregardless if the game is the exact same as RA2 or not,imagine playing RA2 ONLINE against REAL PEOPLE. that alone should give the game a long lifetime.

also this is real life right

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2016, 02:40:33 AM »
Also from the video and the screenshots it appears you can paint your bot in every color as long as it is white

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2016, 05:12:53 AM »
Also from the video and the screenshots it appears you can paint your bot in every color as long as it is white
Very likely not implemented yet. :P

So on the topic of backwards compatibility (was last mentioned two pages ago) as cool as it would be it doesn't look like it would be that hard to remake a stock bot (without all the AAM and other building tricks) if one wanted to. It looks like you might not want to perhaps, but i'm sure there's some designs that would be nice to have in the newer game still. The importing would just make that easier. But doing that might be a little harder than it sounds like it would be.

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »

So on the topic of backwards compatibility (was last mentioned two pages ago) as cool as it would be it doesn't look like it would be that hard to remake a stock bot (without all the AAM and other building tricks) if one wanted to. It looks like you might not want to perhaps, but i'm sure there's some designs that would be nice to have in the newer game still. The importing would just make that easier. But doing that might be a little harder than it sounds like it would be.
I highly doubt that kind of backwards compatibility will be available, though what do I know, maybe somebody did manage to get a hold of the RA2 source code after all.

I have basic modelling and texturing experience i've not really made any use of, if RA3 can live up to the hype, I'm sure i wouldn't be the only worm crawling out of the woodwork.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
http://steamcommunity.com/games/363530/announcements/detail/870691318013091202

Here's an announcement which was posted to the steam page yesterday. Basically clearing up some of the worries we had about modding and the graphics engine. Good to know they're listening to the community closely.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #570 on: March 19, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
http://steamcommunity.com/games/363530/announcements/detail/870691318013091202

Here's an announcement which was posted to the steam page yesterday. Basically clearing up some of the worries we had about modding and the graphics engine. Good to know they're listening to the community closely.
Well good to know that Havok explosions are completely vanquished in this game.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #571 on: March 19, 2016, 08:50:15 AM »
I like these devs. They seem new but eager.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #572 on: March 19, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
and it seems like they actively lurk here.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #573 on: March 19, 2016, 09:24:45 AM »
Can steam games be installed multible times?
I'm asking cause if there are mods like dsl available you want to have a seperate version you run it on right?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: March 19, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »
I'm asking cause if there are mods like dsl available you want to have a separate version you run it on right?
I think if you make a copy of the main game folder, steam will run the exe in the folder with the correct name. Bit more hassle than ATM but it's manageable I think
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #575 on: March 19, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
If it's like any most other games that use workshop you would just select what mods you want when you launch the game.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #576 on: March 19, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
I'm asking cause if there are mods like dsl available you want to have a seperate version you run it on right?
Since the game's running on Unity I bet TC mods would be able to make their own .exe that only loads their files.

Offline Stigma

• Yeah, him
  • Antweight
  • I R teh bot mastah
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Rene Descartes#7925
« Reply #577 on: March 19, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
If it's like any most other games that use workshop you would just select what mods you want when you launch the game.
that would be pretty cool

Offline AHeapOfGames

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #578 on: March 19, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
I think a working online mulitplayer will be the most appealing feature to new players with this game... Especially with the new Robot Wars, there will be a lot of people that will want to battle their own robots! Could be a massive boost to the series, especially if some big YouTubers play it.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: March 19, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »

I highly doubt that kind of backwards compatibility will be available, though what do I know, maybe somebody did manage to get a hold of the RA2 source code after all.
Yea I figure it's not too likely, like I said bots should be easy to re-create anyway so it's not really that big a deal. I just thought it looked like a cool possibility when I saw that.

Glad to hear about the mod support though. Funny they mention how it would affect the balance of the game. And they're right, but were there really that many one hit kill weapons and things made for the game? I can't recall any really. None that were widely used. There were stronger armors and things to attach to your bot to protect yourself, and there weren't too many weapons that did that massive of damage either.

EDIT: But yea I think I like the approach these guys are taking with this. I'm still not so sure about the release date, but if they think they can pull it off by then that's awesome.