5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317068 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #540 on: March 18, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »
I'm not nearly as worried as some of you guys seem to be. Although I doubt it's likely that the old components are a sign that the new game will be somewhat backwards compatible, I think its just no surprise or worry that they would still be finishing off modelling/collision mapping on the new components that we've seen a glimpse of in the concept art. At any rate, the devs are clearly paying attention to or are involved in this community, so hopefully the game will be mod-able as I think that's probably the most important thing a RA2 sequel should have.
One thing I will say though is that the release date is actually a little disappointing, its too close lol. Seriously, I think this could be really great, but maybe even better if they did take more time with it, I mean we've been waiting 13 years and I doubt anybody even expected an RA3 at this point anyway.

Offline Connor791

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: March 18, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »
From what i have seen it looks miles better than RA2 and It will be  modable as it says that they are going be to be using the workshop on steam  :dance:

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: March 18, 2016, 07:03:40 AM »
Well I hope they have heavier components then the RA2 stock ones anyway (heck, more is always better, more motor options, alternative brands with empathsis on more power or less drain, something better then the DDT for heavyweights), or at least not nearly as much weight available to a heavyweight, just so IRL is encouraged rather then 36 mace spinners. I guess we can be sure DSA won't be a thing anymore so chassis armour will become a factor and might help that

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #543 on: March 18, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »
Well I hope they have heavier components then the RA2 stock ones anyway (heck, more is always better, more motor options, alternative brands with empathsis on more power or less drain, something better then the DDT for heavyweights), or at least not nearly as much weight available to a heavyweight, just so IRL is encouraged rather then 36 mace spinners. I guess we can be sure DSA won't be a thing anymore so chassis armour will become a factor and might help that
Well if they bother to include proper damage calculations this time then IRL would be the only effective way to build since 36-mace spinners (and popups) rely on the fact that RA2 doesn't consider mass on it's damage calculations.

Offline ecolusian

• care to spare a chromasome for this poor sperglord?
  • Middleweight
  • Keeping TRB in check since 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #544 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
pumped to actually be able to drive a bot in a tournament, that's like half the fun for me

this is why i dont do tournaments
Can you elaborate on this

I don't do tournaments because for me a big part of a competitive event is the sportsmanship behind it and all the moments were they make it in time and its tense AF.what I mean is that the best moments in robotic combat (at least for me) is the moment when the underdog comes out and wins or someone just enters a lolbot and actually does good and everyone around you is like "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!" then you just end up laughing your ass off because their right how the hell did a red grinning armchair beat the series 6 champion. With ai tournaments they just rush each other at every opportunity with no variation. its that bad that I think its affected the meta as rather then make interesting and fun design, all that's gets made is bots with more razors slammed onto a tribars and razors under the bot that fly out of nowhere then ***** in a bukkake party. its really getting out of hand. so that's why I don't tournament, im the kinda guy who doesn't like following meta since I like variety and interesting concepts rather than bot shop clusterfocks.
"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I\'m not sure about the universe" -Albert Einstein
*IF YOU ARE NEUTRAL IN THIS SIG BUSINESS PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG*

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #545 on: March 18, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »
pumped to actually be able to drive a bot in a tournament, that's like half the fun for me

I don't do tournaments because for me a big part of a competitive event is the sportsmanship behind it and all the moments were they make it in time and its tense AF.what I mean is that the best moments in robotic combat (at least for me) is the moment when the underdog comes out and wins or someone just enters a lolbot and actually does good and everyone around you is like "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!" then you just end up laughing your ass off because their right how the hell did a red grinning armchair beat the series 6 champion. With ai tournaments they just rush each other at every opportunity with no variation. its that bad that I think its affected the meta as rather then make interesting and fun design, all that's gets made is bots with more razors slammed onto a tribars and razors under the bot that fly out of nowhere then ***** in a bukkake party. its really getting out of hand. so that's why I don't tournament, im the kinda guy who doesn't like following meta since I like variety and interesting concepts rather than bot shop clusterfocks.

Exactly how I feel about bot-building. Yes, I have entered a tournament, but I don't plan to win, I plan to have fun making the bot, and that's it.

EDIT: also, I love this line.

fly out of nowhere then ***** in a bukkake party.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: March 18, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
With ai tournaments they just rush each other at every opportunity with no variation. its that bad that I think its affected the meta as rather then make interesting and fun design, all that's gets made is bots with more razors slammed onto a tribars and razors under the bot that fly out of nowhere then ***** in a bukkake party. its really getting out of hand. so that's why I don't tournament, im the kinda guy who doesn't like following meta since I like variety and interesting concepts rather than bot shop clusterfocks.
You see, whenever there is an established meta in something, fun can still be had. You play Yugioh, right? When some guy came 3rd (or something like that) in the World Champs using Mystic Tomato, everyone went crazy and started copying his 'innovative' idea. If you try to break the meta by doing something unorthodox, you can have some fun. However, RA2's steep learning curve and over 10 years of testing bot designs may make this difficult.

And when I say 'innovative', it doesn't mean something that hasn't been done before, just something that isn't a 'joke bot' and has been executed in a way that makes it successful, more so than previous iterations of that bot type. Variety will only come if you attempt to instigate it somehow, either by doing what I just said or hosting a tournament yourself in which people won't want to/can't use 'meta' bot types.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #547 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
Personally, I really like the AI tournaments, because:
1. If I was driving my bot and lost, I'd have to blame myself.  With AI tournaments, though, I can just blame the crappy AI and not feel bad.
2. There's no issues with finding times for the matches or anything like that.

Not that I wouldn't try a "drive your own bot" tournament, though.  I just think there are some benefits to the current system.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »

i think you need to git gud and stop making excuses

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: March 18, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »

+1
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline ecolusian

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: March 18, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »
With ai tournaments they just rush each other at every opportunity with no variation. its that bad that I think its affected the meta as rather then make interesting and fun design, all that's gets made is bots with more razors slammed onto a tribars and razors under the bot that fly out of nowhere then ***** in a bukkake party. its really getting out of hand. so that's why I don't tournament, im the kinda guy who doesn't like following meta since I like variety and interesting concepts rather than bot shop clusterfocks.
You see, whenever there is an established meta in something, fun can still be had. You play Yugioh, right? When some guy came 3rd (or something like that) in the World Champs using Mystic Tomato, everyone went crazy and started copying his 'innovative' idea. If you try to break the meta by doing something unorthodox, you can have some fun. However, RA2's steep learning curve and over 10 years of testing bot designs may make this difficult.

And when I say 'innovative', it doesn't mean something that hasn't been done before, just something that isn't a 'joke bot' and has been executed in a way that makes it successful, more so than previous iterations of that bot type. Variety will only come if you attempt to instigate it somehow, either by doing what I just said or hosting a tournament yourself in which people won't want to/can't use 'meta' bot types.

theres a similar issue in yugioh, just replace razors with kosmos, and its not that every bot should be different im alright with there being a soild enough meta for tips and tricks but not to the point where its your only opportunity for any tournament success.

Personally, I really like the AI tournaments, because:
1. If I was driving my bot and lost, I'd have to blame myself.  With AI tournaments, though, I can just blame the crappy AI and not feel bad.
2. There's no issues with finding times for the matches or anything like that.

Not that I wouldn't try a "drive your own bot" tournament, though.  I just think there are some benefits to the current system.

i will admit that no issues with finding times is incredibly useful and timesaving, expecially given the timezone gap (also blaming the computer feels pretty gud.)

i play fighting games, so im completely open to this as well, but did you have to say it like such an ass or is this just how 090101 works?
"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I\'m not sure about the universe" -Albert Einstein

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:05 AM »
And with that massive quote wall + possible flame bait from that last statement, I'm gonna ask we get back on topic and, if we talk about tournaments here, it'll be about RA3 tournaments.

Offline ecolusian

• Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #552 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
And with that massive quote wall + possible flame bait from that last statement, I'm gonna ask we get back on topic and, if we talk about tournaments here, it'll be about RA3 tournaments.
it wasnt flame bait, im sorry if it came off that way.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: March 18, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
it's not like you were borderline insulting some builder's work in that wall of text, so no, you have no right to call 090901's words harsh.

but yes let's stop this.

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #554 on: March 18, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
On a different note, I feel sorry for Click. All the work he put into DSL 2.2 may only have a 5-6 month shelf if RA3 takes over completely.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #555 on: March 18, 2016, 01:35:45 PM »
its not like you have to choose between ra2 and ra3 guys
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #556 on: March 18, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
i'm excited for ra3 tournaments because if the online is any good at all we can have things similar to the gmod tournaments we already run and that would be amazing.

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: March 18, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Nah, I don't think RA3 will take over completely. That's like DSL taking over stock completely- there are less of the latter playing, but it's still played.

Here's a question- people are talking about mod support, but who is here to modify it? I don't mean to be rude, or blunt, or ignorant, but the team that built DSL isn't all that active anymore, 2.2 is mostly Click and I'm not sure where he stands on making yet another TC in an entirely different game, 123stw was behind Ironforge and he's not all that active anymore, and I don't know where any of the RWRA2 team stands on making a TC in the style of DSL instead of the style that RWRA2 is.

I don't know how many folks will come crawling out of the GTM woodworks to wiggle their fingers inside of RA3 when it comes, however, so I could be wrong about some of those.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #558 on: March 18, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
I don't know where any of the RWRA2 team stands on making a TC in the style of DSL instead of the style that RWRA2 is.

Can't talk for HB but I doubt I'll have enough time or interest to commit to a big project again honestly
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #559 on: March 18, 2016, 04:44:10 PM »
I don't know where any of the RWRA2 team stands on making a TC in the style of DSL instead of the style that RWRA2 is.

Can't talk for HB but I doubt I'll have enough time or interest to commit to a big project again honestly
That's exactly what I mean. I can imagine some have tired themselves out in full giving the most that they can to the community.

Maybe some new people will join, fresh in energy, raring to get their hands dirty making another big project, alongside the potential older members that are drawn back in for the same reason.