5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317993 times)

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
I can confirm that Mike has sort of secured funding for this but it is being marketed as a quick and easy money grab based on riding the popularity of BB being restarted not as a good title that can stand on its own merits.

My cynical side has always feared this would be the company's motivation.
Well yeah saw this coming a mile away

but seriously though ra2 was exactly the same way
Yeah, I'm pretty sure both Robot Arena games were the same way.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2015, 04:21:12 PM »
I can confirm that Mike has sort of secured funding for this but it is being marketed as a quick and easy money grab based on riding the popularity of BB being restarted not as a good title that can stand on its own merits.

Still, good physics engines are pretty much preboxed products at this point so it could be pretty good.

//edit: mike not mark, ugh
That's a bit disappointing, although kinda in line with history and the (ex-)GI portfolio. Although the GTM shoutout might mean that MR actually cares about the product quality, and is just pitching it as a money grab.

They could always outsource to Poland instead, we're the newer, higher-quality India ;).
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
Honestly ra2 was total crap. It was really fun crap though. My biggest worry is not that ra3 will be cheap or rushed or whatever, because it will be, but I just hope that it's fun.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
This is a very salient point - part of what gives RA2 its charm is its imperfections. Not everyone likes the building glitches but RA2 would be much worse off without them.
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »
Over the years I have made a name for myself as a cynical and snarky pessimist. That said, I won't be joining the hate/skeptical train for this game. I am legitimately surprised and impressed that Robot Arena is also seeing a revival. I have very fond memories of the game and of its community. I chose to spend my high school years in the RA community, and I do not regret that. (Mostly.) I will buy Robot Arena 3 on the day it comes out. I will take the day off of work and do nothing but absorb myself in the game, because the motorsport of robot combat and the community surrounding it means so much to me. Even if this game is utter sh**, I will still be thankful that the franchise was remembered by its developer and another title was released. It's not very often that a game gets rebooted after that much time in the darkness.

We will always have RA2, and we will always have the mods for RA2 and the modders who continue to outdo each other in what we thought was possible in the game. Can you imagine the bricks that would be sh** if you posted a screenshot from today's RA2 mods on AceUplink in 2003? Dummee's very first component was an SNES cartridge (I think), a ****in rectangle. Look at where we are now.

Also, hello TDS. I did not know you had an account here. When given the opportunity, I've tried to genuinely make amends with people whom I've wronged in the past. I hope that an apology 12 years overdue still holds some merit. I am truly sorry for being an annoying piece of sh** on AceUplink. At the time I thought it was the funniest thing in the world, but in hindsight I see now that I pretty much systematically destroyed the website by getting new user registrations heavily restricted and moderated. I am not proud of that, nor am I proud of maintaining and promoting a hostile attitude toward you and AceUplink. I did a lot of underhanded sh**, some of it I'd completely forgotten about until it was brought up by Carp, AW, or Mad Scientist. I know there's probably something unsavory that I did to/toward you that I've long since forgotten, and I am sorry.
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2015, 09:50:18 PM »
I think they should just outsource it to us

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:22 PM »
I think they should just outsource it to us

I'd think that if there was any drive here you'd just drop the name "robot arena" and make your own game.  I mean comon, unity (for example) has a straight up tutorial on how to setup a physics sandbox.
Heck they even released the source code for space engineers which gets you construction, multiplayer, and physics, all you need is to tweak the physics for your purposes. Its a lot of talk.

Also, hello TDS. I did not know you had an account here. When given the opportunity, I've tried to genuinely make amends with people whom I've wronged in the past. I hope that an apology 12 years overdue still holds some merit. I am truly sorry for being an annoying piece of sh** on AceUplink. At the time I thought it was the funniest thing in the world, but in hindsight I see now that I pretty much systematically destroyed the website by getting new user registrations heavily restricted and moderated. I am not proud of that, nor am I proud of maintaining and promoting a hostile attitude toward you and AceUplink. I did a lot of underhanded sh**, some of it I'd completely forgotten about until it was brought up by Carp, AW, or Mad Scientist. I know there's probably something unsavory that I did to/toward you that I've long since forgotten, and I am sorry.

Yeah you devoted years towards cultivating a community that hates someone that couldn't care less about anything you have done, or will do.  There's probably a few times I should have been effected in some way by something, but you're that insignificant that I never found out, or if I did, it didn't burn its way into my memory. So, go you for wasted effort I guess.

I stopped by to see if you guys had heard anything more than I had.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Apparently not. Are you in the industry? Trying to figure out how you know all this haha
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2015, 01:09:42 AM »
Its ok RFS... you just have to fight him again next time

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
Apparently not. Are you in the industry? Trying to figure out how you know all this haha

More of a situation where the people signing off on the money said "Hey I bet that robot guy we work with would love to hear this"
Better than most of the FW:FW:FW:FW:FW emails I get ~.~

Also excellent job throwing a temper tantrum on national tv
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:42:19 AM by TDS »

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
You're all fools, obviously it'll be Smartphone exclusive and Free-to-Play. Gotta keep up with the market, homedogs.

As such, it will take 3 days to attach a motor to your chassis. Or, for the low, low price of $2.99...

/sarcasm

But seriously, I'm pleasantly surprised this is even happening. I'd have thought someone in the community would have been doing this for GI at this point, given the indie game scene these days. I've got my fingers crossed that it lives up to the hype.

Speaking of making amends, RFS, kill343, Goose if he's still on... basically, ANYONE who was on the old RA2 official forums should know why I want to make amends.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »

I'd think that if there was any drive here you'd just drop the name "robot arena" and make your own game.  I mean comon, unity (for example) has a straight up tutorial on how to setup a physics sandbox.
Heck they even released the source code for space engineers which gets you construction, multiplayer, and physics, all you need is to tweak the physics for your purposes. Its a lot of talk.

This is actually a fair point.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2015, 11:34:01 PM »
I was mostly kidding when I said that, just for the record

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2015, 03:01:34 AM »
hahah what is this decade old bitter face sassy faux pas doing up in a thread so becoming of peace love and unity 3d. are we not grown? hard scrollin and eye rolling here

scorpio im balls deep in here and i cant say i remember. not gettin all big on you though, i am known to dissapear. much respect man. i think speaking on behalf of everybody for the sake of robot '**** your mother' arena three we can all call the hatchet buried on this specific brand of ancient history

now on topic

holy mother of diamond plated steel its robot god damn blow me gently by candle light arena ****ing three yall  :eat:
ive got legit thread to read
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2015, 04:34:20 AM »
They wouldn't be developing this if they hadn't been following us all this time. They know we're here, and they know what we use the game for. Don't just assume it's going to be a less trash RA1. Given all the technology available as evidenced by the various attempts of individual users on RA3 and alternative robot combat game development, expect big things. I'm honestly surprised Gabriel Interactive hasn't already reached out directly to us.

In other news, I'll be back.
see thats what im talking about. im amazed this went seven whole pages before somebody said what i've been thinking any potential ra3 could be since before this was announced they couldn't screw this up if they ****ing tried! we've damn near halfway made the thing by now if you really think about the sheer amount of fan made content and odd half-games and bizarro patchwork we've moulded for our blessed little game if they really wanted to mail it in they could just combine it all and make it mobile or multiplayer or  something and still end up with a mildly marketable end product
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2015, 06:49:22 AM »
robot '**** your mother' arena three

robot god damn blow me gently by candle light arena ****ing three

these need to be unofficial titles or something

especially that i'm in gaymetechmods right now

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2015, 07:58:02 AM »
This is actually a fair point.

Off the top of my head, space engineers, from the depths, homebrew vehicle sandbox, garrysmod, besiege (to a lesser extent) rigs of rods, even starcraft 2 has physics

Heck the process is pretty much
Q: is it a game? does it have a physics engine?
A: we could use it!

Taking an object, add some rotating parts and wheels to move it around, it is not exactly rocket science. 
I think space engineers is the best bet, you could make something reasonable ingame /right now/ just requiring an arena and possibly some materials tweaking.  I'm not sure how importing your designs works in it off the top of my head though, and i'm pretty sure the rotating part velocities would have to be adjusted since everything in that game is slooooow.
The "wah wah we could do it" thing is baloney.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »

Hey there, TDS, good to see you around.

You may be interested to see this if you hadn't before.
Pretty much exactly what you described is being worked on by Sic, and it looks real good :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »

Hey there, TDS, good to see you around.

You may be interested to see this if you hadn't before.
Pretty much exactly what you described is being worked on by Sic, and it looks real good :)

Thats exactly what i'm talking about, there's a lot of tweaking to be done there but its a good proof of concept, mostly that the collision meshes of non-wedge-lifter-whatevers shouldn't be so precise and should be slightly rounded (or cut off) at the edges since when you have an object try and squeek under something perfectly flat like the bricks, it doesn't behave as you'd imagine since the engine doesn't model elasticity.

But there you go, it works, but the question is, where the hell is everyone else?
You have one guy (sic) that knows what he's doing, someone else should be making the models, collision meshes, skins, ect. for him so he can do what he does best, not just "ra ra"ing for him to do everything himself.
Get it together! :P

On an unrelated note my sisters kid saw battlebots and heard from them that I used to do that, now he's all in frenzy mode so I'll be dragging him out to bot bash in a few weeks.
Depending on commitment from him I might be making bots again at some point in the near future.