Author Topic: [Experimental] Reducing game crashes  (Read 1610 times)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[Experimental] Reducing game crashes
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:16:29 AM »
As the title already implies, this is still very experimental and I'd like to have some testing feedback before confirming this fix.
I've recently tried to fix RA2's crashes via some settings, and for about 3-4 weeks I've only had a few rare crashes happen while all others are gone:

TL;DR edition:
Set compatibility mode to Win 2k.

user friendly edition:
Go to your Robot Arena 2 folder
Right click Robot Arena 2.exe
Select Properties(think that's what it's called in english Windows, it's the last option in the menu that appears)
In the new window that appears, go to the Compatibility tab
Check the box Run Program in Compatibility Mode and select Windows 2000
Don't check the Run as Administrator box(or the movepixel script won't work)
Click on OK
Done

This seems to have fixed almost all of the crashes and unlike XP Sp3 seems to run much stable, here's the crashes that still happen:

Import Crash
If you import a robot, then open it, exit back to the HQ, delete and import the game might crash.
My guess is that the game gets confused because the bot data is still avaliable in RAM but the file no longer exists/is different(robots are still in the background of the game after you exit the botlab, F12 lets you see this and if you hit any of the wired buttons you will hear the motor sound).

Battle Won Crash
Yes, the famous "the game doesn't let me win" crash still happens.
But it's rare this time! In about a month I only had it happen yesterday, and when I redid that battle with my flail spinner(this time not losing the axle mount) it didn't crash and let me continue. I'm not sure if it depends on the parts removed, so try your hardest to not lose the same parts to see if that helps.

DSL battle crash
DSL randomly crashes when fighting(think the error popup is different here). I've had this happen with Redace's IRL AI and think it happens when parts get ripped off/Havoks happen. Don't think it's a problem with the AI pack, more a general DSL one(maybe has something to do with the axles of motors as well?)

Game Freezing
I'm one of those people that tabs out of the game using the Windows key. If you leave the game too long in that state it seems to freeze to the point where you have to end the task. However it doesn't seem to break the tab out function like it normally would.

If you have any crashes happen with this enabled that aren't listed here, please post them below, together with the info if it's reproduceable and on what OS.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0