Author Topic: Hometown Showdown - Cancelled(?)  (Read 2149 times)

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Hometown Showdown - Cancelled(?)
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »

Before anyone asks, This won't be coming very soon. I'm just putting this up for discussion to let people know what I have in mind next and see if people like what tournament has to offer. I do want to host this one, so we'll see if it will actually go through. Now I had this tournament concept in my head for a while, but I ha a bit of trouble thinking of how it would work. While something like this has been done before, I want to try to make things a little more fair and fun without getting complex for everybody. Now that I have all the rules set, let's go over how this will work.

GENERAL RULES:
- Ironforge MW
- Standard Style Building (You can build IRL, however, I wouldn't recommend it since you will be outclassed)
- 16 Bots will compete
- 1 Bot per Person
- I will AI to the best of my ability if you cannot, but don't complain what I AI'd your bot (They will stay when the SBV Thread goes up)
- If you wish to use custom .pys for your entry, I will allow them only if they are NOT broken and can cheat.
- You can only enter if I receive your bot, and it's accepted.
- I myself will not enter unless there is an open spot when signups close.

BUILDING RULES:
- Ironforge Bots only
- Standard Realism Rules Apply (IRL is also allowed, but it isn't recommended.)
- Middleweight bots only (Minimum: 190.0 - Maximum: 200.0 kg)
- You can use up to a total of four ballasts in your robot and they will not count towards weight.
- You cannot use BFE, AAM, Hax, txt file editing, etc.
- No cheatbot2 or custom parts at all.
- Smart Zones will not count toward weight, but you cannot use them to act as a ballast.
- SnS's, Crawlers, and One Wheel Drive robots will not be allowed.
- Interchangeable weapons and forms are allowed, but you MUST PM me what form you want to use in the match. (or it will be randomly selected.)
- I will only allow bots that are the best of your ability, so Jokebots, replicas, etc. are not allowed. (Please make it crystal clear.)
- You can a MINOR change as many times as you wish as long as it doesn't change much of the bot overall, so make it clear that it's a minor change. (Like changing the Razors on your HS to Irons)
- Once your bot is accepted, you can only send a MAJOR update it ONCE (Like completely changing your bot), so be careful. (This rule will not apply to bots that have a problem or are rejected. If the updated bot is not allowed or having an issue, the first bot which has been accepted will stay until a fix is sent.)

Multibot Rules:
There will be some special portion for multibots if you wish to enter them. Here's how it works folks:
  • The maximum number of multibots allowed is 2.
  • Both bots must stay within 200.0
  • Bots can weigh differently as long it does not go over the weight limit. For example, you could send a MW multibot at 70.0 and 130.0 kg.
  • Both bots must defeated by KO, TKO, WBP, or a Forfeit to move on.

BATTLE RULES:

- 1 vs 1 match format
- 2 minute length matches
- Best 2 out of 3 (Finals will be 3 out of 5)
- Double Elimination Bracket
- Brackets will be determined by Challonge.com
- If there isn't the desired amount of entrants, the ByeBots will be various bots made by 123STW that comes with Ironforge.
- Judging will determined by the damage points at the end of the match
- Once everyone has entered, I will randomize the seeds to see which entrant gets their Home Arena.
- Before each match starts. I will flip a coin to determine which robot will go to their Home Arena and will remain for the three sets in the round.
- There will be two brackets. The winner of the two brackets will face off against each other to see who is the victor.

Restart Rules:
The rules about restarting the match will be a little more clear this time. More than one of the below criteria can happen and not penalize you. If once, that bot gets a Free Restart. If Twice, that bot will forfeit the match if any of the folling criteria occurs:

-Havok Restart: The bot does a Havok Explosion which costs the match for it's opponent.
-Second Chance Restart: If the loss was from being pinned, (i.e. getting stuck for a reason) But I will only restart if:
  • A)It has controlled movement.
  • B)It has enough battery life for it to actually matter.
  • C)The control board warning is not is on yellow or below.
If none of the above is met, then the first match will be the final result of the match.

My (Possible) Entry:

NOTE: While I do have eight arenas for each bracket, I do want to find eight more so that one bot gets one arena each. I will also count brand new arenas that other people made If you have ny suggestions, then leve them below. Before you start posting, here are some restrictions:

1. The arena MUST have open walls for OOTA purposes. Flippers and the like will have a disadvantage with enclosed arenas.
2. The hazards or obstacles must NOT be too invasive to the robots so matches can have fair outcomes. Yes, even with hazards off.
3. I've already considered a selection of arenas, so don't ask for these as they have already been suggested or I have updated the list.

Once again, don't expect this to come very soon. I'm not saying when I am doing this, but I'm not doing this as soon as one could expect.

Hopefully, I've covered everything. Got any other questions? Go ahead and post them and I will answer them if I haven't clarified from what's in the rules.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:27:20 PM by RedAce »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hometown Showdown - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:53:53 AM »
don't say people can build irl in a standard tournament. Then half entrants will build IRL because they can't do anything else and get rekt.

Especially when you have quality control rules in place.

Also I don't get the point of all this arena swapping ? It appears to give no bonus to bots.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:58:24 AM »
don't say people can build irl in a standard tournament. Then half entrants will build IRL because they can't do anything else and get rekt.

no.

let them learn.
beep beep

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:05:09 AM »

no.

let them learn.

Nah. If newbs enter IRL bots into a standard tournament to "learn", first it gives a poor battling environment for us veterans, second it's nonsense. This is a standard tournament, not an IRL one.

Literally every time a bot who is more standard than IRL enters an IRL tournament there is an uproar of "tryhard" comments, so much that people put up IRL quality controls to remove too Standard bots, but when people enter IRL bots into Standard tournaments, no one cares ?

Double standards ahoy.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:23:36 AM »

no.

let them learn.

Nah. If newbs enter IRL bots into a standard tournament to "learn", first it gives a poor battling environment for us veterans, second it's nonsense. This is a standard tournament, not an IRL one.

Literally every time a bot who is more standard than IRL enters an IRL tournament there is an uproar of "tryhard" comments, so much that people put up IRL quality controls to remove too Standard bots, but when people enter IRL bots into Standard tournaments, no one cares ?

Double standards ahoy.

redaces call.

but the best teacher, always has and always will be experience.
beep beep

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »

no.

let them learn.

Double standards ahoy.

redaces call.

but the best teacher, always has and always will be experience.

Oh I agree with you... I just don't want to fight IRL bots in a standard tournament, same as people (legitimely) not wanting standard bots in an IRL tournament.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 05:32:07 AM »

Double standards ahoy.
How is that double standards? IRL bots follow all the building rules of this tournament, in a IRL tournament a standard bot doesn't.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 06:03:18 AM »

Double standards ahoy.
How is that double standards? IRL bots follow all the building rules of this tournament, in a IRL tournament a standard bot doesn't.

Yes, but that is a standard tournament. If people enter enough IRL bots, then it won't be a standard tournament anymore.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
Unless you set really weird quality standards for each member you can't ban IRL as such in a Standard tournament. I just made the effort (in my also Standard Ironforge MW no-SNS tournament :P) to say that IRL bots will be at a major disadvantage. Pretty much all you can do is recommend stuff and let people realise that entering an IRL bot in a Standard tournament generally won't go well.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
Pretty much what Craaig said. There has been an oversaturation of IRL tournaments and whenever there is a standard tournament, people just enter IRL bots anyways. Hell, some people enter IRL style bots in Stock tournaments even though that's a blue moon in itself. So I said screw it, and put that rule up with a side note. Craaig and S.T.C. have done the exact same rule in their tournaments and I don't see a problem with it.

Also, the arena swapping is supposed to be like Conraaa's Home and Away tournament where one bot gets an arena chosen for them and then there is a 50/50 chance of them getting their home arena. The bonus is that you probably won't get the same arena every match and strategy is all about expecting the RNG factor.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »
2 things

how great of a change can "interchangeable weapons" be? Do you have to keep the same chassis only or can you only change a few things or what?

also what is a "home arena"? Do you just pick your arena preference and there's a chance you'll get it or something? I don't get it.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
2 things

how great of a change can "interchangeable weapons" be? Do you have to keep the same chassis only or can you only change a few things or what?

also what is a "home arena"? Do you just pick your arena preference and there's a chance you'll get it or something? I don't get it.
Depends if your are actually going for interchangeable weapons or not. you can change weapons only and a bit of setup depending on weight. No one has used this rule to their advantage yet, so if you want to, go right ahead.

Home Arenas are randomly generated arenas given to you once signups are full. Then, I randomize the seeds, whatever number you are seeded on Challonge is what number the arena is on the list. For example, if you are #5 on the bracket, your home arena will be the Robot Wars Arena. Lastly, before I begin the match, I flip a coin to decide if you will go to your home arena or your opponents home arena.

With all this confusion, I should probably do a display tournament on this first, then see what happens to the real deal.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 04:29:31 PM »
It'd be cool if you gave a list of arenas and let people choose their home arena, so they could potentially suit their bots to the arena.
//

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
^This
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

Double standards ahoy.

Yes, but that is a standard tournament. If people enter enough IRL bots, then it won't be a standard tournament anymore.
IRL bots are just crappier versions of standard bots, so who really cares? Enter with Iron No More 3.69 or whatever and stomp them.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
It'd be cool if you gave a list of arenas and let people choose their home arena, so they could potentially suit their bots to the arena.

Alright then. I'll add that and patch up a couple other things later. I do need help with finding arenas, but only if they go by these two rules:

1. The arena MUST have open walls for OOTA purposes. Flippers and the like will have a disadvantage with enclosed arenas.
2. The hazards or obstacles must NOT be too invasive to the robots so matches can have fair outcomes. Yes, even with hazards off.

Also, don't expect much from this if I don't post many newsflashes about this. Just a warning if things do get inactive.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »
I'd actually say allowing closed arenas would make the field more interesting, as if you enter a flipper you'd be hoping for your home arena that little bit more. Adds some spice - not only can you pick an arena for your bot, but potentially an arena to scupper opponents :)
//

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »
RAW 2 arena with the hazards off?

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 05:09:48 PM »
Oh yeah.  Forgot to mention, but I don't really plan on doing this tournament.  If I change too much around with this, it'll just decay away from my original goal of what I wanted to acheive.  That and I really want to focus more on the Throwback tournament.  If any of you guys want to, then go right ahead.  I'll ask this t be moved to Inactive Discussion please.  Thanks for consideration.