Author Topic: General Tournament Discussion  (Read 142437 times)

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: General Tournament Discussion
« Reply #1020 on: October 15, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »
Okay, Kurt's gonna do a new tourneyament for you guys, I think it might;ve been done before but I can't remember. Here's the basic gist of it.

WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU...

DSL - Probably IRL again.
Weightclass - LW, MW, CW, and HW.

- 16 entrants in a Single Elimination bracket.
- Each entrant must send a four-strong team of robots that are pretty much the same. In Round One the Lightweights will get used, then in Round Two the Middleweights will get used, Round Three is Cruiserweights, and the Final is Heavyweights.
- Given that it's based around "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." it would make sense that way.

- Each robot must start of as a LW then slowly evolve at each weightclass it increases to.
- They must all look and function the same way, no adding a flywheel to the Cruiserweight version of a flipper robot.

Questions?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm down for editing this, but what's good? Ironforge or DSL, and IRL or Standard?

Another idea would be Keep Your Enemies Close 2, because sequels = easy
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:07:24 AM by Kurt »

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1021 on: October 15, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
Okay, Kurt's gonna do a new tourneyament for you guys, I think it might;ve been done before but I can't remember. Here's the basic gist of it.

WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU...

- Each entrant must send a four-strong team of robots that are pretty much the same. In Round One the Lightweights will get used, then in Round Two the Middleweights will get used, Round Three is Cruiserweights, and the Final is Heavyweights.
- Given that it's based around "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." it would make sense that way.

- Each robot must start of as a LW then slowly evolve at each weightclass it increases to.
- They must all look and function the same way, no adding a flywheel to the Cruiserweight version of a flipper robot.

Questions?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm down for editing this, but what's good? Ironforge or DSL, and IRL or Standard?
That's a really good idea, I like it. I'd say DSL-IRL, if only because that's the metagame I'm best at.
My DSL Showcase

Online apanx

« Reply #1022 on: October 15, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »
Guise, an awesome new idea, ordinary tournament, with a twist. The host removes a random component from the entries. Could be a battery, a wheel, a weapon.
Then the crippled bots fight it out.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1023 on: October 15, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »
Cripple Crash

bonus points for having a 3rd user controlled bot to fix break up boring matches
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1024 on: October 15, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »
Guise, an awesome new idea, ordinary tournament, with a twist. The host removes a random component from the entries. Could be a battery, a wheel, a weapon.
Then the crippled bots fight it out.
Control board.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1025 on: October 15, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU...

Questions?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree, this is a great idea.
I only have experience in standard (so obviously that's what I prefer), but I'm only one person. Of course its up to the majority.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1026 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:59 AM »

WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU...

Questions?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree, this is a great idea.
I only have experience in standard (so obviously that's what I prefer), but I'm only one person. Let's see what the majority of people want.
I think a cool idea would be a round robin type deal similar to ironbot or whatever it was called, but when your HW dies you use the CW, when the CW dies you use the MW etc until your LW gets knocked out and you're out of the tournament.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1027 on: October 15, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »

Coming soon, to a discussion page near you...

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #1028 on: November 18, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
I am thinking of Go to the new floor or die (GTTNFOD)
MW Stock
Unreal Rule
Arena will be a random arena
BO1
16 Entry
Glitch is allowed expect BFE, AMM and Hax Mode, which is banned.
Boring Gimmick:
Floor Bracket
Each Floor had Matches, Boss, Nothing and lose (lose mean you got eliminated)
there will be a difficult arena on each floor
If you lose the Matches or Boss Battle, you will go right.
if you win, you will go up.
If you go to Nothing floor, you will go up.
Boss will be reused form HeavyDerby's Boss.
floor example:

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1029 on: November 20, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
I have an Idea, I can't really AI, I can get them prepared for AI, but not actually putting them as AI, and I would have to use Bandicam.

Anyways, my idea would be IRL DSL HW, BUT the amount of wheels MUST BE THE SAME as the amount of motors, including servos, burst motors, and hammer/flipper motors.

I might put this idea up in the air if people would want to host it, or maybe I could learn to AI, who knows?
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1030 on: November 20, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »
I have an Idea, I can't really AI, I can get them prepared for AI, but not actually putting them as AI, and I would have to use Bandicam.

Anyways, my idea would be IRL DSL HW, BUT the amount of wheels MUST BE THE SAME as the amount of motors, including servos, burst motors, and hammer/flipper motors.

I might put this idea up in the air if people would want to host it, or maybe I could learn to AI, who knows?
I second this. I to have an idea for a tournament, Clusterbot Mayhem, DSL 2.2 and IRL packs the idea is build 2 robots that weigh around 400, KGS and have them fight other clusterbots in the RA2 tournament arena. The Clusterbots must be IRL. Could someone host this as a tournament? 

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1031 on: November 20, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »

So basically we have to use random wheels as armor? Can we make the gimmick more interesting in some way?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1032 on: November 20, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »

I second this. I to have an idea for a tournament, Clusterbot Mayhem, DSL 2.2 and IRL packs the idea is build 2 robots that weigh around 400, KGS and have them fight other clusterbots in the RA2 tournament arena. The Clusterbots must be IRL. Could someone host this as a tournament?
Learn to AI and record your game and host it yourself. Nobody is going to host your tournament for you.

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1033 on: November 20, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »

So basically we have to use random wheels as armor? Can we make the gimmick more interesting in some way?

I never said that motors must have a wheel on them.
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1034 on: November 20, 2016, 02:23:57 PM »

Learn to AI and record your game and host it yourself. Nobody is going to host your tournament for you.
They could take full credit.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1035 on: November 20, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
I don't know how much I have to preach this, but learning how to AI is super simple, especially with the abundance of tutorials out there. If you want a tournament idea done, it's fine if you want to simply leave ideas around for others to pick up, but the best way to get it done is by doing it yourself.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1036 on: November 20, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »

They could take full credit.
of course they would. Nobody wants to host someone else's idea. Learn to do it yourself, its SO easy

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: November 20, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
The last thing we need is another IRL tournament.  It's literally the cancer killing GTM.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1038 on: November 20, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
The last thing we need is another IRL tournament.  It's literally the cancer killing GTM.
QFT

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: November 20, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »
QFT
double qft