Author Topic: General Tournament Discussion  (Read 142414 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: General Tournament Discussion
« Reply #940 on: July 07, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
I'm all in favor of a leader board system, but I feel it's just going be the same 6 people who always enter tournaments. Lack of tournament turnout, imo, is because of a low interest in general for RA2 and an oversaturation of smaller tournaments without any other large-scale offerings (BBEANS, Clash Cubes)

An official GTM tournament would be a good idea if decent hype was made around it. If it was something similar to what Kill suggested awhile then I would definitely be interested in it.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #941 on: July 07, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »
I'm all in favor of a leader board system, but I feel it's just going be the same 6 people who always enter tournaments. Lack of tournament turnout, imo, is because of a low interest in general for RA2 and an oversaturation of smaller tournaments without any other large-scale offerings (BBEANS, Clash Cubes)
I was also concerned about that and I thought it could be possible to kick-start the ranking system with an official GTM tournament. I believe the only reason we (me, Sage, RedAce and Kill) haven't pushed for the RA2 League to happen yet is because we were worried it would lose a lot of interest if people moved on to RA3. However, now, with RA3's launch and no-one seems to be in a rush to drop RA2 for it, I think it may be worth pushing very soon. Tbf, thank you very much for jogging my memory on that because I may get in contact with Kill and the other hosts to see when we can get the big signups open for it.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #942 on: July 07, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
Why don't we do 3 majors and 1 huge tournament, officially sanctioned by GTM and they give points for a ladder system. Maybe on a 4 monthly cycle.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #943 on: July 07, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Not sure if this is off-topic or not as it is tournament discussion related, but anyway...

I believe the only reason we (me, Sage, RedAce and Kill) haven't pushed for the RA2 League to happen yet is because we were worried it would lose a lot of interest if people moved on to RA3.
I've also been meaning to get a practice stream up and going for a while, but I've been busy with college and ToT 2 and all that, so it's been on the back burner for a while.  I also have had to take care of work schedule that has been increasing over the past few days.  I'm still up for doing it.  I just need to do some work arounds.  If all goes well, I could stream a practice tourney next Saturday unless I get some sudden things that will take up that night.

tl;dr Still interested in this.  Might make a practice stream soon.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #944 on: July 07, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »
I could definitely do a stream, I've done a decent amount of streaming before and can handle basically everything. lmk if you need help w/ anything.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #945 on: July 07, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
Rankings sound cool. I feel like I could be at least somewhat competitive.

Also, if anyone feels like backdating ranks through tournament history I'll give you an internet cookie.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »
Backdating rankings wouldn't be a very good incentive for people to start out because they'd have ways to go before they could even consider being in the top 3.

Not sure if this is off-topic or not as it is tournament discussion related, but anyway...

I believe the only reason we (me, Sage, RedAce and Kill) haven't pushed for the RA2 League to happen yet is because we were worried it would lose a lot of interest if people moved on to RA3.
I've also been meaning to get a practice stream up and going for a while, but I've been busy with college and ToT 2 and all that, so it's been on the back burner for a while.  I also have had to take care of work schedule that has been increasing over the past few days.  I'm still up for doing it.  I just need to do some work arounds.  If all goes well, I could stream a practice tourney next Saturday unless I get some sudden things that will take up that night.

tl;dr Still interested in this.  Might make a practice stream soon.
Cool stuff. Be sure to contact me on Steam at some point so we have a clear plan of action.

Why don't we do 3 majors and 1 huge tournament, officially sanctioned by GTM and they give points for a ladder system. Maybe on a 4 monthly cycle.
Are you insinuating that these tournaments are the only ones that would give out ranking points? If so, that goes against why I want this system in the first place. It gives an incentive for all members to join every given tournament (with the possible exception of gimmicky tournaments) as they can get higher up on the tournament rankings.

Thinking about it, though, I believe that the one official GTM tournament shouldn't be a league and simply an easy to digest double elimination tournament on the scale of BBEANS and Battlebots. That'll make things much cleaner and nice to setup every time it comes around. I'll talk with other staff members about that possibility (possibly Craaig more than anyone else, due to him being the previous and seasoned tournament section moderator) and then, hopefully, talk to Trov about getting the official tournament advertised on the front page of GTM, just like how the BOTM is. Trov being AFK lately is likely to put a spanner in the works but there is a lot to go through before getting to the stage of talking to him, anyway.

Btw, I am appreciating the feedback so far and I'm glad that I am able to instigate this topic of discussion as the tournament section moderator.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #947 on: July 07, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »
Oh, by backdate I meant have a reference for what the ranking would have looked like for a previous year. So if we took last year for example we could see if it even makes sense.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: July 07, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Oh, alright, that doesn't sound too bad, then. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to do that, so I would very much appreciate any help in that area.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2016, 12:35:39 AM »
ARE MY RULES OK?

DSL 2.2
Heavyweight
Robot Wars Arena, 2min fight.
Gitch banned
Pop up banned
16 Entries
prizes
Winner get Stock,DSL and Ironforge Bots.
2nd get Stock and Ironforge Bots.
3rd get Stock Bots.
4th to last place get... umm..... failed stock bots.
i can ai but not very well, i sugget you to ai yourself.
DSL Standard/DSL-S
No custom components that do not come with a fresh DSL 2.2 install, this includes skinned components
Double Elimination
Standard Havok Rules(one restart)
Hybird are allowed
No cheatbot2
BFE (bot file editing) banned
Rule of 7 break allowed; other SergePatcher features are not
Multibot allowed

Match Test:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:44:26 AM by WenXiangLee »

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2016, 12:37:41 AM »
the bot must not be MEME THEMED

i don't think i can enter

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »

Removed the bot must not be MEME THEMED rules

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2016, 12:45:57 AM »

Wen, you're the best.

As far as the rules go, it looks like you've covered everything.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "all glitch allowed" though.  The DSL-Standard ruleset would probably take care of anything too game-breaking, but you might want to consider removing that.  You also might want to add a rule banning BFE (bot file editing).

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2016, 12:48:36 AM »

Wen, you're the best.

As far as the rules go, it looks like you've covered everything.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "all glitch allowed" though.  The DSL-Standard ruleset would probably take care of anything too game-breaking, but you might want to consider removing that.  You also might want to add a rule banning BFE (bot file editing).
Gitch and BFE Banned added

also Multibot allowed
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:45:12 AM by WenXiangLee »

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2016, 04:33:00 AM »
I think an "official" gtm tournament held on a quarterly or 4 monthly basis would be a great idea.

League rankings would be a bonus.

Would only help keep the community together.

Problem would be agreeing on the mod to use... that's the biggest divide I can see coming in 6 years later. I'm doubtful RA3 will become what we all want it to become any time soon.
Tournament History:

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2016, 06:46:57 AM »
I think an "official" gtm tournament held on a quarterly or 4 monthly basis would be a great idea.
It'd have to be yearly/every 12 months for it to feel like a grand occasion. I fear participation will waver if people don't enter on the basis that they can enter again during the year.

Problem would be agreeing on the mod to use
The mod used will be used on rotation. The top two mods out of the main three will be cycled through, hopefully.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
ARE MY RULES OK?
(Image removed from quote.)
DSL 2.2
Heavyweight
Robot Wars Arena, 2min fight.
Gitch banned
Pop up banned
16 Entries
prizes
Winner get Stock,DSL and Ironforge Bots.
2nd get Stock and Ironforge Bots.
3rd get Stock Bots.
4th to last place get... umm..... failed stock bots.
i can ai but not very well, i sugget you to ai yourself.
DSL Standard/DSL-S
No custom components that do not come with a fresh DSL 2.2 install, this includes skinned components
Double Elimination
Standard Havok Rules(one restart)
Hybird are allowed
No cheatbot2
BFE (bot file editing) banned
Rule of 7 break allowed; other SergePatcher features are not
Multibot allowed

Match Test:

I guess I going to start TOURENMENT with this rules

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
Well, be sure to post the topic in Public Tournament Discussion, then. You can't start the tournament properly until you've got sufficient 'yes' votes.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »
Well, be sure to post the topic in Public Tournament Discussion, then. You can't start the tournament properly until you've got sufficient 'yes' votes.
Ok

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #959 on: July 18, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
It'd have to be yearly/every 12 months for it to feel like a grand occasion. I fear participation will waver if people don't enter on the basis that they can enter again during the year.

Maybe six months?

I just think once a year would be too few, then again... the community seems quite a quiet one, maybe once a year would draw more people out? Maybe you are right.

The mod used will be used on rotation. The top two mods out of the main three will be cycled through, hopefully.

Good thinking.

Although this makes me think every 6 months/twice yearly would work better.

Every April Stock, Every October DSL for example? Then each mod is once a year still as I know some people (Me for one  :dumb)) like their particular mod and it would suck sitting one year out.

*Braces for "So learn DSL then" reply ;)*
Tournament History: