Author Topic: General Tournament Discussion  (Read 142988 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: General Tournament Discussion
« Reply #900 on: June 02, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »
I have examd on ATM so no time. When they're done I'll host some stuff
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #901 on: June 03, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
Yo someone please do a ToT3

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #902 on: June 08, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
I want to make a tournament with really fast bots only. Probably DSL 2.2.

By "fast bots" I mean fast rammer drive, ala 2WD NPCF for LW, 3+WD NPCF/Etek for MW, and 6WD NPCF/4WD Etek for HW.

In an OOTA arena, of course. It will certainly be entertaining - the more Rage III'ing the better.

May host it when i'm done with the first version of NAR AI.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #903 on: June 08, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
Sounds good to me, just as long as you make it perfectly clear what qualifies as a fast robot.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #904 on: June 08, 2016, 02:06:12 PM »
Sounds good to me, just as long as you make it perfectly clear what qualifies as a fast robot.

Considering how dual mag drive seems weaker than NPCF drive in DSL2 and hence looks uncompetitive, i think that will be easy:

-LW: Bot must have drive power equal to 2WD NPC drive, or better
-MW: Bot must have drive power equal to either 3WD NPCF drive, 2WD Etek drive, or better
-HW: Bot must have drive power equal to 6WD NPCF drive, 4WD Etek drive, or better

As for wheel choice, I may ban anything with less than 1 grip. Also, ban decreased throttle in bindings, and any wheel or motor that doesn't contribute to speed (such as sideways wheels to boost turnspeed or n00bs putting wheels on unpowered axles)

Also, ban SnS since they're not really "fast" bots. Probably do an exception for SnS/rammers.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #905 on: June 08, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »
Alternatively, you could set a minimum "speed" value that must be achieved, where speed = motor torque x wheel grip.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #906 on: June 09, 2016, 04:33:32 AM »
Alternatively, you could set a minimum "speed" value that must be achieved, where speed = motor torque x wheel grip.

i was thinking about that, but i wanted to keep it simple

...eh. it'll teach the newbs something.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #907 on: June 16, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
Would anyone be interested in a tournament with the same ruleset as my latest challenge with RedAce: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19063.0?  That is, all of the SergePatcher fuctions would be allowed.

On one hand, I feel like it would let people really build some crazy designs.  On the other hand, it would probably turn into "which of these 16 identical HSes will win?"

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #908 on: June 16, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
While I would kinda like to see one play out, it'll probably just have bunch of bots that are just flat out invincible and impossible to KO.  In my opinion, you're gonna have to try little harder than THAT probably gonna need to put in a special gimmick that could give the pseudo hax mode bots at a disadvantage to the point where they don't make the metagame unfair as SSBB.  Maybe a specific weightclass for the use of component intersection?  I dunno.  I still want to at least have the ability to use the SergePatcher as it makes stacking components and loading components on SnapperIIs much less tedious in my opinion.

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #909 on: June 16, 2016, 04:33:42 PM »
Maybe you could ban invincible baseplate armour to make it so you can't have an invincible chassis.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #910 on: June 16, 2016, 10:09:08 PM »
Good thoughts.  What about something like, "if your chassis is smaller than x squares, you can't use caster armor"?  Or should it just be a flat-out ban?

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #911 on: June 16, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »
Anything that attaches to the baseplate is invincible, so you'll probably want to restrict anything bypassing the chassis.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #912 on: June 16, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »
Oh, right, forgot that was how that worked.

I'll just run a different gimmick; having to check each bot to see if anything is clipping the chassis seems like too much effort.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #913 on: June 21, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »
Few ideas:

Stock tournament where only component from the weapon tab allowed is bear claws. May ban pure HS
DSL tournament where only hybrids are allowed
DSL tournament where bot types are balanced by weight allowances (e.g. SnS can only be 400kg, popups 500, hammers 700 etc)
Stock/DSL tournament where you can only use one of each component (excluding batteries and extenders)

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #914 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
Stock/DSL tournament where you can only use one of each component (excluding batteries and extenders)
Isn't that Scrapyard Challenge? Don't remember if that's the exact name but I'm fairly sure that was the gimmick of Kurt's tournament.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #915 on: June 21, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »
Isn't that Scrapyard Challenge? Don't remember if that's the exact name but I'm fairly sure that was the gimmick of Kurt's tournament.
Meh I wouldn't know, I'll go check

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #916 on: June 21, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
New idea, have to use at least 3 different components from each tab

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #917 on: June 21, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
I was gonna run an off-brand knock-off Scrapheap Challenge called Trashpile Trial, but I didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #918 on: June 22, 2016, 05:20:07 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been thinking of a few tournament ideas that I thought might be a fun little twist on the game – apologies if these have been suggested before.

1)   Super Middleweight Melee (Working title)
Standard Stock competition with the main gimmick being that the weight limit would be capped at an unofficial “Super Middleweight” level of 600kg.

2)   Pencil Pushers (Working title)
An idea I had inspired by Robot Arena 1. We assign each component a monetary value and give everyone say $1000 to spend on whatever they can come up with.

Some further thoughts:
-   Weight could play a role, so for example the first 400kg you build with are free, but for every 50kg over that it could cost $50 (or similar).
-   Armour could also play a role so for example plastic might be free, but DSA could cost $200, steel $150 etc.
-   Components would be valued based on their effectiveness with the most expensive components being HP Zteks, Iron Spikes, SnapperII’s etc. while the samurai sword, servos, sledge hammer head etc would be cheaper. 

Due to the complexity of valuing each part, I think this would have to be agreed beforehand (maybe on here?) and the rules would have a pricelist for competitors to work with. Due to the extra components in DSL I think this would work better as a stock contest also.

3)   Budget Bots (Working title)
A breakaway from the above, where competitors are given a much smaller budget to spend on making a robot, similar rules as above.

What does everyone think?
Tournament History:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #919 on: June 22, 2016, 05:25:03 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been thinking of a few tournament ideas that I thought might be a fun little twist on the game – apologies if these have been suggested before.

1)   Super Middleweight Melee (Working title)
Standard Stock competition with the main gimmick being that the weight limit would be capped at an unofficial “Super Middleweight” level of 600kg.

2)   Pencil Pushers (Working title)
An idea I had inspired by Robot Arena 1. We assign each component a monetary value and give everyone say $1000 to spend on whatever they can come up with.

Some further thoughts:
-   Weight could play a role, so for example the first 400kg you build with are free, but for every 50kg over that it could cost $50 (or similar).
-   Armour could also play a role so for example plastic might be free, but DSA could cost $200, steel $150 etc.
-   Components would be valued based on their effectiveness with the most expensive components being HP Zteks, Iron Spikes, SnapperII’s etc. while the samurai sword, servos, sledge hammer head etc would be cheaper. 

Due to the complexity of valuing each part, I think this would have to be agreed beforehand (maybe on here?) and the rules would have a pricelist for competitors to work with. Due to the extra components in DSL I think this would work better as a stock contest also.

3)   Budget Bots (Working title)
A breakaway from the above, where competitors are given a much smaller budget to spend on making a robot, similar rules as above.

What does everyone think?
Sounds cool, but the money ones sound like a HUGE pain in the ass to host. Also I think 600kg is called cruiserweight (or maybe 550 or 500, idk)