Author Topic: General Tournament Discussion  (Read 142995 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: General Tournament Discussion
« Reply #880 on: May 02, 2016, 05:21:48 PM »
Hows about an IF (or dsl ew) tourney where only control boards, batteries and a single anchor can be placed on the chassis, and ysing serge's ro7 patch is legal?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #881 on: May 05, 2016, 10:08:02 AM »
Hows about an IF (or dsl ew) tourney where only control boards, batteries and a single anchor can be placed on the chassis, and ysing serge's ro7 patch is legal?

So... Everything else (motors, weapons etc.) is not on the baseplate, including drive?

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #882 on: May 05, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »

So... Everything else (motors, weapons etc.) is not on the baseplate, including drive?
Yes, quite obviously.

I did something like that quite a bit ago, except I gave people a chassis to work with.

Would be nice to see what people will come up with.

Offline Calmarius

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
I'm considering making a tournament. I have several questions as I'm reading the rules:

- If I accept bots that are AIed by the competitor and not me, do I have to have the very same smart zone pack installed that the author had? This is a rather technical question but I think it's relevant here.

- What are the standards for the images and videos I upload for the tournament? Is it OK to just show the raw video capture, and let the viewers "feel free to fast forward through the boring parts" and "feel free to start your favorite music player to cheer it up"?

- How I'm supposed to receive the bots, is there a standard way, or do I need to publish an e-mail address to do so? (danger of getting spammed)

- It seems a lot of tournament descriptions have a lot of exclusions (like excluding whole robot types or AI modes). Are these required to have an exciting tournament?

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #884 on: May 05, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »
I'm considering making a tournament. I have several questions as I'm reading the rules:

- If I accept bots that are AIed by the competitor and not me, do I have to have the very same smart zone pack installed that the author had? This is a rather technical question but I think it's relevant here.
Good question. I'm not too sure if it matters, really. Just as long as the robot is clearly working as intended and it doesn't crash your game, you should be good to go.

- What are the standards for the images and videos I upload for the tournament? Is it OK to just show the raw video capture, and let the viewers "feel free to fast forward through the boring parts" and "feel free to start your favorite music player to cheer it up"?
The only bare minimum standard is that you show the end of the match where the winner is clearly presented. You do not need any fancy editing at all.

- How I'm supposed to receive the bots, is there a standard way, or do I need to publish an e-mail address to do so? (danger of getting spammed)
Via PM.

- It seems a lot of tournament descriptions have a lot of exclusions (like excluding whole robot types or AI modes). Are these required to have an exciting tournament?
That's relatively subjective, it's all up to you. Most bans and exclusions will depend on the host's preferences on what they want to see in their tournament, not necessarily what they think will make it the most exciting (although, it may be a good idea to keep that in mind, just so people enter :P)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »

You would need the same smartzone components they used. Most people use madiba's smartzones tho, I think. When I hosted this was never an issue for me. If a bot uses weird components the onus is on the entrant to supply a list of non-dtandard parts it uses (i.e. skin packs or other custom smartzones)

While most people put music in the background of their videos, I dont think anyone cares when there is no music.

You generally recieve bots via pm, and people aend you a dl link to their bot.

Depends on the game-mode. Meltybrain ai is banned in almost every tournament because its fundamentally broken. SnS are banned in most ironforge tournaments due to being OP. Apart from that, its all up to you, if you want to ban the more overpowered designs like popups give people more creative freedom

Edit ninja'd reeeeeeeee

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #886 on: May 05, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »
Meltybrain ai is banned in almost every tournament because its fundamentally broken.
People only started banning MB recently.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #887 on: May 05, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
Meltybrain ai is banned in almost every tournament because its fundamentally broken.
People only started banning MB recently.
I meant it's currently banned in nearly every tournament, so he should consider banning it too.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #888 on: May 17, 2016, 01:56:01 AM »
Hmm....
Want about rammer HW tourament?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #889 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:45 AM »
Why just rammers? Won't that be hugely boring?
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #890 on: May 17, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
Rammers are the manliest bot type according to Nary
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #891 on: May 17, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »
Hmm.... What about hovercraft Tourament
There some Tournament to join?

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #892 on: May 17, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »
Why just rammers? Won't that be hugely boring?

On the contrary. Rammers only, rammer hybrids allowed for SOME variation, require at least a certain amount of weight invested in drive so all bots are at least semi-fast.

Will make for much better matches than two shell spinners. Or two popups.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #893 on: May 17, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »
I think it could make for some nicely paced, fun matches. I'm all for it if you are actually able to do it and have the commitment.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #894 on: May 17, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »
Hmmm...... What about WenXiangTatic? Or Pop-up VS SHell Spinners?

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #895 on: May 22, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »
What about Robot Wars Replica Tourament?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #896 on: May 22, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »
What about Robot Wars Replica Tourament?
Sonny's already done a crap-ton of them. RA2's damage system doesn't really work for replica tournaments

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #897 on: May 22, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Replica tournaments would be better suited to Personal Tournaments, although I quite enjoyed taking over Jonzu's replica tournament. Try what you want, Wen, and see what the reaction is, because I don't think too many people are willing to offer their opinion on certain tournament ideas unless they had the option to vote on it.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #898 on: June 02, 2016, 05:51:41 AM »
In light of the tournament host ban list growing ever larger, I'd like to ask people about hosting. Is there anything holding any of you prospective hosts back from starting a tournament? If there is, please let me know and I'll try to cater to that.

I'm fairly sure this is all coincidental procrastination but, if anyone has any ideas of their own to make hosting a bit more fun, easier, or whatever you feel it's lacking, I'd appreciate the input.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #899 on: June 02, 2016, 05:54:58 AM »
I'm happy to host whenever I'm well enough. Just most of my ideas require a bit more member participation than most which can prove difficult.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything