Author Topic: General Tournament Discussion  (Read 143015 times)

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Re: General Tournament Discussion
« Reply #720 on: July 29, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
So my plans are to host the remaining T.L.O.S's then go on to the ironforge ones, sound good?
Yeah, That works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I have a few ideas in mind for my next tournament once I finish Beetle Bashers 2. They still need a bit more thought into it, but I'll explain the general idea. I may do all three at some point, but you get to decide which one I should do first.

More Razors: The Tournament:(Name WIP)

Basically, It'll be a DSL-S MW (or some other weightclass) Tournament where the only weapons you are allowed to use is razors, lots of razors, and you can't use anything else, not even for weapon setup. (Even though a heavy amount of bots use a lot of razors regardless) There will be a minimum to the amount of razors that must be used on the bot to make it more challenging.

Ant Annihilators:

This is supposed to be the spin-off to Beetle Bashers (Sort of). Anyone remember Thyrus's tournament Total Annihilation? It's kinda like that, except in this, only IRL antweights will be allowed. Where four bots will fight in a rumble and the first one to be eliminated in the fight will be eliminated and then 3 will fight and so on and so forth until 1 bot remains to move on. I was thinking that I could have 3 bye bots ready, but I'm still thinking about the maximum number of entries.

Trios of Terror:

Out of all the tournament ideas I had in mind, this is probably the one I want to host the most. In this one, I was thinking that this would be a stock LW tournament where the lightweights were to represent a trio of some sort. The trio can be a reference to a game, phrase, TV show, book, Hell anything that's represented in a pair of three. I'll even let you make up your own but at least try to be creative. Examples: Rock Paper and Scissors, or Stop Drop and Roll. However the bot types must be different, so you can't send in three popups and call that your team.

The battle format was going to be a best two out of three where each bot form each person would fight and whoever gets two battle wins advances. I was also thinking of that members would send me a PM to choose which bot would fight in a fashionable order.

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:51:10 PM by RedAce »

Offline Wacky Bob

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • I knew my face would freeze if I held it too long.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: July 29, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
Trios of Terror sounds fun. I guess it's Brobots but with three bots each instead of two.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
For the second idea (if you end up doing it), I think you should use Wham's AW version of the Official RA2 Tournament Arena. Just a suggestion. I like the second one the most but that's just because I really like the ant and beetle weight classes.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #723 on: July 29, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
Trios of Terror sounds fun, but I don't know if I'd be entering if it's Stock LW.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #724 on: July 29, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
Trios Of Terror reminds me of Tag Team Trios, good to see I'm getting along swiftly with that. :dumb)

So is this the battle format for TOT?
My Bot 1 VS Your Bot 1
My Bot 2 VS Your Bot 2
My Bot 3 VS Your Bot 3

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #725 on: July 29, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
For the second idea (if you end up doing it), I think you should use Wham's AW version of the Official RA2 Tournament Arena.
I was thinking of using that arena. I just want to know If Wham would be cool with me using it.

So is this the battle format for TOT?
My Bot 1 VS Your Bot 1
My Bot 2 VS Your Bot 2
My Bot 3 VS Your Bot 3
Pretty much, but you choose what order they go in. Kinda like Minor Inconveniences in a way.

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: July 29, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »
Go for your third idea. Sounds the most interesting.
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #727 on: August 12, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
Once again, I got a few tournament ideas that I would like to host after I complete Trios of Terror, along with the other two ideas I had earlier. I would like some feedback on all the ideas I had in mind and some receive some improvement ideas in case you don't like them. Once again, I'll explain the general idea of them so you know what I have in mind.

Dynamic Duos

Anyone familiar with those superheroes and their trusty sidekick in comic books, It's kinda like that. The idea is similar to my current tournament, Trios of Terror, only this time, they represent a superhero and a sidekick, or you can have something else that comes in a pair, like Mario and Luigi, or Batman and Robin. It will be a DSL-S tournament with this twist: The hero and sidekick would be in a different weightclass with the hero a bigger weightclass than the sidekick, something like Hero would be MW and Sidekick would be LW or something like that. Battle format is gonna be 2 v 2 with both the hero and the sidekick fighting in the arena. The actual weightclass is where I'm stuck at, because I can't really decide what weightclass would best suit this tournament.

Colossus Coliseum:

Nothing too special with this one, but I would like to note this will be two tournaments, for the price of one. In this one, I was thinking that it would be a SHW tournament having both DSL-S and IRL styles to satisfy both crowds. You don't have enter both versions, but when sending, I would like you to specify which bots are which, If I decide to host this one. It'll be a simple 1 v 1 tournament and multibots will be allowed.

Along with the other two tournaments I had in mind, those are my choices I had in mind.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #728 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:53 PM »
With Dynamic Duos you don't really want weightclasses too far apart (eg HW/LW) because the LW just becomes useless. I used MW/LW for RIP3 (which was a similar concept, themed duos) and that worked pretty well. You get obvious differences between the 2 but the LWs are still effective. I'd imagine MW/CW or CW/HW would also work fairly well.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #729 on: August 27, 2014, 04:00:26 AM »
eh wat i dont get it

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: August 27, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »
So let me get this straight. You want to make a tournament that:
  • Uses a hardly-used unofficial weightclass
  • Allows cheat motors
  • Allows cheat components in general so long as they're "fine with the masses".
  • Allows the builder to choose an arena and time. What are we talking about here, Stock arenas? DSL arenas? Custom arenas?

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #731 on: August 27, 2014, 05:42:06 AM »
Posts deleted, rubbish idea anyways.
Hows about 15 man tournament with 2 bots entered per builder.
These builders will either pair up themselves with 2 others or if they cannot find anyone will be paired up randomly. These teams will decide what bots to pair up out of their 6 for their opponent. The way the teams will fight is 2 match round robin.DSL HW IRL, Judge Burst allowed to a max of 2.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #732 on: August 27, 2014, 05:50:47 AM »
As someone who's tried many, many confusing ideas in the past. I'd say remove having people actually choose anything. You end up with people not responding and the whole thing gets awkward.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #733 on: August 28, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
so normally the next mutations will be stock HW hybrid. maybe i will give triple hybrids a 50kg weight cushion.

Offline KOS

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • NoxoraGTR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #734 on: August 28, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
yay stock

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #735 on: August 28, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »
I guess I can give it a whack since I missed the last one.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: August 28, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »
I will not let it wait a few millenia like this one, I promise :P

Offline Wacky Bob

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • I knew my face would freeze if I held it too long.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: August 28, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »
I'm so in.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: August 28, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
I'm pretty much entering any stock tourney as long as it's not cheatbot2 or something. :P

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
I know I'm full of tournament ideas, but this is the last one I had in mind and I would like to know If everyone will be alright with this one.

RA2 Twitch Tournament: (Name WIP, If you could come up with any better names, that would be great. Thanks.)

Okay, I was thinking that I would make a Stock and a DSL-S MW tournament where there's nothing really complicated with this one. I was thinking there would also be 128 max limit and each entrant could send up to 8 bots for both tournaments. I was also thinking that these matches would go live on my (possible) upcoming twitch account with commentary and I wanted to to find a time that everyone can get along with. I was planning to first host a display tournament to have people understand how this works and have a taste of what may come. If I really wanted to, I could also try to have some GTM members commentate with me via Skype, once I'm all set and everyone is fine with that.

I really don't know If you want this to be an actual tournament, but if it does be one, this won't come until at a very later date.