Author Topic: Robots FTW stock showcase  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Robots FTW stock showcase
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:01:30 AM »
Hello everyone i thinks its about time that i start my own showcase. i originally tried to start a showcase a few days ago however the original copy of ra2 i had on my laptop would constantly crash when i tried to take a screenshot (reinstalling it didn't help) so i tried to get ra2 on my dextop computer.

but anyway this is the first bot i am going to showcase

its underweight i know. i tried to have DSA on it by rebuilding it but it was 11 kgs overweight so unfortunately it has plastic armor  :mad:
also the wedge sucks for some reason and i dont know why. XZAI 2 and Mutiny get under it everytime when my bots wedge collides with theirs :realmad(

insides:

Comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated  (although please try not to be too harsh)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:25:26 AM by Robots FTW »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robots FTW stock showcase
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »
intredasting.

you should be able to get DSA on there... maybe use the right angle's other attachment point and save 4 kg on red extenders.

Very good bot for a new guy, as well.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
hey RFTW welcome to the forums.
good start for a bot, I'm not really the best at stock but the main thing I can see to improve on this probably opening the disks a bit. It seems like they way it is now would be hard to actually hit anything with, and if you made them more facing forward I'd imagine it'd help. It's a good start though, you know axle loading and stuff already it seems so I assume you've checked out the beetlebros ra2techs page.

Try out DSL and Ironforge if you haven't already :) looking forward to see what you come up with next.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:06:24 AM by Pwnator »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
Welcome aboard, and that's a great start. I see what you're doing and I think it would work better as a FS than a drum. It can trap bots better and have a better time juggling it. Also, if you're using Stock 1.4, try using the square 140 cm extender. If only weighs 5kg and can save weight for DSA.

I noticed you've been lurking and it shows. Great job.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:06:40 AM by Pwnator »

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
eco you might want to wait until you're a bit more experienced before giving a lot of advice man, this is not a bad robot nor is it an uncommon setup especially for a new player

hey RFTW welcome to the forums.
good start for a bot, I'm not really the best at stock but the main thing I can see to improve on this probably opening the disks a bit. It seems like they way it is now would be hard to actually hit anything with, and if you made them more facing forward I'd imagine it'd help. It's a good start though, you know axle loading and stuff already it seems so I assume you've checked out the beetlebros ra2techs page.

Try out DSL and Ironforge if you haven't already :) looking forward to see what you come up with next.

thank you reier i will try to get the disks more facing forward. i am just  wondering how i would go about doing that though . would i need to use the bottom attachment point of the RAD or would i need to think about redoing the extender setup?

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:09 AM »
I think Impending Doom has the motors rotated one more notch upwards, but the main problem is getting the mounting setup right. Try to have the main extender hold the plow and an extender attached to it that holds the RAD.

Come to think of it, Scrap Daddy's version has the black rotated the other way for a wider stance IIRC. It should be somewhere in his showcase.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
I think Impending Doom has the motors rotated one more notch upwards, but the main problem is getting the mounting setup right. Try to have the main extender hold the plow and an extender attached to it that holds the RAD.

Come to think of it, Scrap Daddy's version has the black rotated the other way for a wider stance IIRC. It should be somewhere in his showcase.

thank you pwnator i have just tried your suggestion and it has definately improved the weapons  like reier said the first version struggle to ko when as the new one manages to ko in under 20 seconds once it gets under the opponent . unfortunately it is still 6 kgs overweight  with dsa as i changed the 5 20cm extenders to a 140 cm square entender (the one that weighs 5 kgs) for the wedge
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:32:22 PM by Robots FTW »

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »
Sorry for double posting but i have redone the extender setup for the plow and the RAD AND was just wondering which extender setup you would suggest

would it be this : (the face spinners are wider for the same weight (3 20cms instead of 1 40 cm and 20cm )

or the extender setup suggested by pwnator:

i am still unsure of how to shave off enough weight to keep DSA

I will also be posting a new bot soon tomorrow after school (UK time)

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »
I like it :')

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:03 PM »
post the insides and we can help you shave off that weight
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »

here are the insides again as you asked sage not sure if you are able to see everything.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »
Maybe you can use a SnapperII for the wedge and use one extender for the top plow. That might save some kgs.

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
Thank for the comment redace I will try using a snapper II for  the wedge and see how much weight it saves. And believe it or not I have been fiddling about with the extender setup for the plow with your exact suggestion ooh the irony  :bigsmile:

Offline Robots FTW

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
Decided to do some ra2 building again. this is what i came up with

insides

my observations:

there is some empty space between the piston but i can not see how that can be eliminated but mounting the air tank longways instead of sideways (but that would result in a longer and narrower chassis which would narrow the stance.

Two iron spikes on the third weapon rack which may seem not needed but i am not sure what i could do with the additional 20kgs

Maybe you can use a SnapperII for the wedge and use one extender for the top plow. That might save some kgs.
thanks for the suggestion redace believe or not i did not need to remove one of the extenders holding the plow since using a snapper II for the wedge saved more than enough weight to get it down to a MW.  :bigsmile: