Author Topic: The DSL 2.2 preview and news thread  (Read 290647 times)

Offline JoeBlo

This is one of those genius ideas that makes me feel so stupid because of its simplicity :P

I dont know how many times I used the largest smartzone with collision mesh's turned on for a cheap quick creative preview image and it never occurred to me. 

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
Oh man, this looks so cool Click. Nice to see you again. Is this how you made Thunder Cloud 3 with that thunder background in the snapshot?

Nope, that was with Dummy's Bot Editor.  I literally threw the Backdrop together a couple hours before I posted it.  It's kind of embarrassing how little effort it took.  :redface:

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Oh man, this looks so cool Click. Nice to see you again. Is this how you made Thunder Cloud 3 with that thunder background in the snapshot?

It's kind of embarrassing how little effort it took.  :redface:
That's what I call talent.
No need to be emberrassed.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
UPDATE:

Click finally got around to making wedged armor plates so Cloud Nine can have a proper wedge.  Sort of.  Actually, it's a wedge edge that you attach to the edge of armor plates.  I did this, as opposed to making actual wedged plates, for simplicity.  With actual wedged plates, I would need 25 different components.  With this, I only need 5.

...Wait, did I just say you attach the wedge to the edge of armor plates?

Yup, armor plates now have four edge attachment points.  You can't attach plates with the edge, only attach components to the edge.  They also have a corner attach point on the face now.  Prepare to abuse these armor plates in the next update.

Other updates:  Lexan plates are now 25% lighter (and weaker), and there are new titanium plates as a middle ground between plastic and steel.  The 40x40 Ti plate weighs 5kg with the others scaled accordingly.  I'm thinking about making steel plates lighter as well.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Oh thank goodness!

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Nice.. and finally :P
Wedges are the most recomendet thing in dsl3 I guess

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
Awesome

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Very nice job Click. I'm looking forward to these new wedged armor plates.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Very nice! Each time this thread gets updated it comes out looking cooler and cooler.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
i wonder how wedgy they actually are...

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Love all the work so far, something so simple as little armour plate wedges can be so amazing, really like it.

Just wondering Click, do you think we could offer up a few suggestions or do you just want to get it done?

Offline cephalopod

That's an awesome idea. I've already got an idea about how they could be applied to give a very IRL look :D
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
can you attach tings to the wege as well?

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
can you attach tings to the wege as well?

No.  It's so small I can't see where you would even attach something.  Except maybe if you wanted to chain them in a long line, but that would look dumb.

i wonder how wedgy they actually are...

Probably not very.  However, it's still a vast improvement over a blunt rectangular edge.

---------------------

Speaking of wedges, I made some hinge improvements:

The biggest change is that metal hinge there.  Yes, I'm re-introducing the metal hinge to DSL3.  As much as I dislike it for its integral role in the wedge war, I acknowledge that it's a useful IRL building component as well, for those times when you need a hinge but the skirt hinge is too big.

However, this isn't the metal hinge you are familiar with.

- It is now a "burst motor" like the skirt hinge, so you can set it at any angle you want.
- The weight of the axle is increased, making it far less havoky (it doesn't explode with nothing attached to it anymore).
- The total weight is 10kg (1kg less than it used to be).
- The body of the hinge can no longer pass through the chassis.  Only the axle half can stick out.
- The hinge is now 'alwaysvisible', so no more magic floating hinge halves.
- The axle part has no collision, like the Narmor-b-gone skirt hinge.  (Otherwise this could be the new Narmor!)

And speaking of Narmor-b-gone, I made a couple changes to the skirt hinge too:

- JoeBlo's Narmor-b-gone skirt hinge collision model is used now.
- The total weight of the skirt hinge is now 10kg (same as the metal hinge).
- The attach point was slightly lowered, elevating the hinge off the baseplate a bit and allowing it to be attached at the very top of a minimum-height chassis (see picture).  Previously, the highest you could place a skirt hinge on a minimum-height chassis still left a substantial 'lip' above it.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
Looks great! Front hinged flippers that won't look ugly are legal now whoo.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
Alright, question time. I know you said you wanted to run BBEANS7 in DSL3, but DSL3 seems to be mainly centred around IRL building. If you were to run BBEANS7, would it be in DSL-S or IRL format?
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I`m just asking for the attachementpoint on the wedge cause it would make it easier to make new shapes without rule of 7 interrupting so quick

In that quick drawing you can see what I mean. you wouldn`t need the heavy extenders under the sheets but you can make the panels look like one piece

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
I`m just asking for the attachementpoint on the wedge cause it would make it easier to make new shapes without rule of 7 interrupting so quick

In that quick drawing you can see what I mean. you wouldn`t need the heavy extenders under the sheets but you can make the panels look like one piece

(Image removed from quote.)

Ah, I get it.  You're asking for an angle connector, but for armor plates instead of extenders.

I'm not sure about that.  I'll think about it, but it would be A LOT of work (6 angles x 3 materials x 5 lengths = 90 components).  I also want to keep the armor plates mainly used for armor, and not another extender.  However I've already noticed that the rule of 7 is a bigger issue in DSL3 than in DSL2 or stock.  If I could change just ONE thing in the exe...

Alright, question time. I know you said you wanted to run BBEANS7 in DSL3, but DSL3 seems to be mainly centred around IRL building. If you were to run BBEANS7, would it be in DSL-S or IRL format?

DSL3 BBEANS will use the standard realistic rule, but no extra IRL rules.  My goal with DSL3 is not so much to center around IRL building, but to bring standard building closer to IRL, and IRL closer to standard (in that IRL bots will be more competitive in standard play).

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards

(Image removed from quote.)

Ah, I get it.  You're asking for an angle connector, but for armor plates instead of extenders.

I'm not sure about that.  I'll think about it, but it would be A LOT of work (6 angles x 3 materials x 5 lengths = 90 components).  I also want to keep the armor plates mainly used for armor, and not another extender.  However I've already noticed that the rule of 7 is a bigger issue in DSL3 than in DSL2 or stock.  If I could change just ONE thing in the exe...

It would be helpfull in armor building too. but I see it`s a lot of work. Wish I could help you out but I don`t know anything about componentmaking

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards

DSL3 BBEANS will use the standard realistic rule, but no extra IRL rules.  My goal with DSL3 is not so much to center around IRL building, but to bring standard building closer to IRL, and IRL closer to standard (in that IRL bots will be more competitive in standard play).

DSL-standard does not need to be absorbed by IRL.