Author Topic: Is this component safe to download?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Is this component safe to download?
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
Hello, this is my 1st post on these forums, so please don't flame if this is in the wrong area ect...

Anyway, I am searchibng for interesting components to use on my DSL 2.1 version of the game, and I came across this:
https://gametechmods.com/Robot_Arena2/Components/GSE_bigbrotherflipper.exe
I am a big fan of the Robot Wars robot Bigger Brother, and I downloaded it. however, as it is a .exe file, I am not sure weather (spelling?) it is safe to open. A few months ago I had my OS completely broken by a .exe file. As all the other component pack I have downloaded are .zip, I was wondering if this one is safe.

Thanks for your help.

also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline cephalopod

Re: Is this component safe to download?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Completely safe, just installs the component into your game, if I remember rightly (:
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
Thanks.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
No problem! Feel free to stick around by the way, why not start up a showcase and show us your creations?
Bots with custom components should be showcased in the Custom Components Showcase, and normal DSL bots over in the DSL Bot Showcase.
This topic was slightly in the wrong place but I'm sure one of our friendly mods can pop it in the right place (:
//

Offline ACAMS

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »
The best thing to do, since you are installing this to DSL, is to extract it to your desktop.....it will make a folder named Components, then you can add it by hand to the proper DSL folder.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I may stay for a bit, but I'm not too sure about the showcase. I'm not the best builder, and I make bots to have fun with, not to destroy everything else in the arena. Still, I would like to know how to get better, I mainly build flippers and the odd popup/VS. Still, that is for another thread.

Anyway, thank you again for the warm welcome.

Offline Vertigo

• Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
I'm sure every component on here is safe

This is a small community as it is, we don't want to destroy each other's computers, thus making the community even smaller :P

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:12 PM »
Vertigo makes a good point. It would be like injecting ourselves with cyanide, if we distributed a virus'd part.

Nice to see you're sticking around, though. Usual things, lurk around the showcases, start up one of your own, and follow most of the advice you get. People with coloured usernames tend to know what they're doing, as do most of the regular members, but you'll soon figure out whose advice is good and whose isn't quite so good. But mostly just have fun while you're here. =)
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Vertigo

• Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
Vertigo makes a good point. It would be like injecting ourselves with cyanide, if we distributed a virus'd part.

Nice to see you're sticking around, though. Usual things, lurk around the showcases, start up one of your own, and follow most of the advice you get. People with coloured usernames tend to know what they're doing, as do most of the regular members, but you'll soon figure out whose advice is good and whose isn't quite so good. But mostly just have fun while you're here. =)
Yeah, covered everything I did 6 months ago there

And why do people always say listen to people with coloured usernames, makes me feel all unimportant :P

But yeah, start a showcase ASAP, its funny, but most people that stick around for a while immediatly start a showcase

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »
I've been through quite a few pages on the wiki, so I know most of the really famous forum member. I have been looking at 123savethewhale's showcase. He started building good bots really quickly.

Should I get NAR AI? I can beat most of the DSL HWs with most of my bots (Usually with an OOTA). I'm not that confident I can beat the NAR bots...

Also, about the showcase, my robots are incredibly combat inefficient. I enjoy building flippers with static spikes, and I usually use 'cheat parts' (i.e Judge burst, some random downloaded components on occasion).
I could go on forever why my bots aren't up to scratch. The only thing I'm really good at is wedges, but even then I find it hard to get under the DSL emergency on a head on collision.

Thanks for the continued encouragement.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
We have a few builders that build things that look awesome rather than having efficiency as top-priority. Showcasing bots with custom parts is cool under the Custom Component showcase, and, well, people tend to help you improve :)
as for Nar ai, it's a real step up from DSL. I would recommend trying it, however not on the same copy of DSL (so copy your DSL then apply Nar, so you can just pop back to the old one if it's annoying you) (:

One final point, not directed at you, but yeah, agreed with Vert about telling people to listen to users with coloured usernames :L
//

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Thing is, my bots don't look all that special as well. They're built so that I enjoy using them in battle, not always to win. Not exactly showcase material. I may make a few showcase robots soon though.

Also, anyone know if DSL 3.0 is coming out?

This is more of a chat thread now. Maybe I should start a new thread the the newbie forum?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
Yeah, you could go over to the New Member section, would make sense and be an official introduction.

DSL 3... we're not sure when, but it is known Clickbeetle has done work on it.

To be fair, bots don't even have to look pretty to be showcased, damn, I've made some ugly stuff in my time o.o :D
//