Author Topic: dsl screen resolution error upon startup  (Read 3624 times)

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
dsl screen resolution error upon startup
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
i installed dsl from the all-in-one download that we have here onto a laptop running windows 8.1
the two initial splash screens came up (infogrames and dsl) and then after that the game window closed up

this is the error i got before the game finished starting up:

"cyberlink power2go does not support the current screen resolution and dpi setting"

now when i went to open up the forum to post about it i noticed that the bottom of the screen ra2 was still running minimized and when i went to click on it the game was actually letterboxed vertically so that it was running at a regular resolution instead of being stretched to widescreen (something i've always wanted! i wish i could figure out how to do that on my own computer) but i was wondering why it might be doing this and if theres any way around it

my music in the game also skips when i perform certain actions, like exporting robots out of the botlab

any input is greatly appreciated

much love yall
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: dsl screen resolution error upon startup
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »
is your RA2 folder directly on your desktop ? because i'm running RA2 on windows 8 (not 8.1) without any issues than the standard ra2 ones.

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »
its in a folder on my desktop but yeah

seems to only be happening part of the time which is kinda weird
who love to party

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
that's odd, how often does it happen ?

are you on windowed or fullscreen and on what resolution ?

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Cyberlink power2go is a program that is often preinstalled on new computers. What probably happened is the dialog took focus away from RA2 and resulted in RA2 being left running in the background. Thats why you saw the icon on the taskbar and could return to it.

Its been years since I last used RA2 in fullscreen mode so I can't remember if it stretches or uses letterboxes if the ratio is different. If you don't want stretching or even letterboxes, you can set a custom resolution inside of the CFG file.

The music skipping/stopping has to do with RA2 not being multithreaded very well. You can't do much to fix this issue but what you can do is disable the music entirely in the settings menu and use an external program for playing music.

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »
i actually love the letterboxing i posted a thread asking if i could do it on a widescreen laptop of mine a while back because the game would stretch horizontally and it was pretty ugly. the error is what was really bothering me. the game starts getting slow after a little playing ive noticed too. anyways, do you remember what you did in the cfg file?
who love to party

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
To set your own custom dimensions, all you have to do is load up ra2.cfg in Notepad and make a few minor adjustments. In the Graphics Config section, there are 4 lines that you'll need to change: FSDisplayWidth, FSDisplayHeight, FS3DDisplayWidth, and FS3DDisplayHeight. You'll want to set both of the width values to the same thing and both of the height values to the same thing.

Also, keep in mind that unless you have the game set to fullscreen, the window itself will have a title bar and borders that is not included with these numbers. In other words, if you have a screen that is 1920x1080 and you set the width values to 1920 and the height values to 1080, the window will be larger than your screen (unless you also have the FullScreen line equal to 1).