Author Topic: Naryar's DSL showcase - Oldschool DSL-S with 2.2  (Read 376614 times)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Naryar's DSL Evil Overlord's Showcase - IRL SHALL BE SLAIN BY MY HANDS
« Reply #1320 on: November 29, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
The IRL building style deliberately ignores efficiency to make a bot look like a real life one, spams fail weapons everywhere (but not too much !!1!!!1one!) and generally makes awful fighters.

Not all bots that aren't efficient are awful.

I think you're just jealous because you can't build IRL. :trollface

Oh really ? Then why did I won Coolest Bot in Replica Wars 1, a tournament that was basically IRL ?

I can build in any style you throw at me, and I can prove that. I just refuse to build in the "IRL" style because I consider it inferior.

Offline Preytor_4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • The estranged cousin of Click and FB.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1321 on: November 29, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
I can build in any style you throw at me

Build an unrealistic HW for SW2

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1322 on: November 29, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
Oh really ? Then why did I won Coolest Bot in Replica Wars 1, a tournament that was basically IRL ?

what

you didn't get any votes for Coolest Bot, you won Best Moment for pulling a Rage III :P

Offline SKBT

« Reply #1323 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »
The IRL building style deliberately ignores efficiency to make a bot look like a real life one, spams fail weapons everywhere (but not too much !!1!!!1one!) and generally makes awful fighters.

I don't ignore efficiency.

That's news to me. Skidmark is a good example of a IRL realistic but still effective robot.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1324 on: November 29, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »

what

you didn't get any votes for Coolest Bot, you won Best Moment for pulling a Rage III :P

Hmph. Yes, my memory seems to be betraying me.

That's news to me. Skidmark is a good example of a IRL realistic but still effective robot.

That's because it's a drum. And two DSL components has been specifically designed for drums to be both entirely realistic and damaging.

I will agree, not all IRL realistic bots are unefficient. Just anything that isn't a spinner.

The problem with IRL is that it has invaded the showcases, and I bet plenty of people build IRL because they have not the skill to build otherwise. It's not the case of the best IRL builders ala Virus Bomb or Scrap, obviously, but still.

Some people are forgetting what efficiency means, and are starting to think think a bot is good only on looks and on closeness to real life building. It doesn't help that most of the top builders have stopped posting in showcases (123, Ounce, Pwn, etc).

Maybe 123 is right. Maybe DSL realistic has reached a maxima in building and no progress is being made since a good half-year.

'Tis not a reason to abandon things. I am back into building now, and I can assure you I'm gonna change things.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1325 on: November 29, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
ahem*king crab*ahem

Offline Jack Daniels

• Rep: 9
  • Losing Tournaments with Style
    • matt.morrill.12
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • My abandoned online RPG project.
    • Awards
« Reply #1326 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
It doesn't help that most of the top builders have stopped posting in showcases (123, Ounce, Pwn, etc).

Agreed. Even though I lean more toward the IRL style of building (mainly because I enjoy it), I do miss seeing those showcases active.  I believe that a lot of trends in bot building are driven by inspiration... and the IRL style is ruling at the moment.  DSL realistic ruled for a long time though, I don't think it is entirely forgotten, but I think that people got tired of it for now. 

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1327 on: November 29, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
That was my award, you bloody thief    :laughing

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • Rep: 5
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1328 on: November 29, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »

what

Hmph. Yes, my memory seems to be betraying me.

That's because it's a drum. And two DSL components has been specifically designed for drums to be both entirely realistic and damaging.

I will agree, not all IRL realistic bots are unefficient. Just anything that isn't a spinner.

The problem with IRL is that it has invaded the showcases, and I bet plenty of people build IRL because they have not the skill to build otherwise. It's not the case of the best IRL builders ala Virus Bomb or Scrap, obviously, but still.

Some people are forgetting what efficiency means, and are starting to think think a bot is good only on looks and on closeness to real life building. It doesn't help that most of the top builders have stopped posting in showcases (123, Ounce, Pwn, etc).

Maybe 123 is right. Maybe DSL realistic has reached a maxima in building and no progress is being made since a good half-year.

'Tis not a reason to abandon things. I am back into building now, and I can assure you I'm gonna change things.
this used to be the RA2 building mindset..
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1329 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »
Also, I am the creator of DSL realistic !

WTF no you're not :O

You weren't even around when it was created!

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #1330 on: November 30, 2011, 12:26:28 AM »
Once life calms down I'll be back to SnSing. And I suck at IRL ;)
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1331 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:41 AM »
Oh sure, thanks...
BTW, I'm sure my HW flipper (AKA true popup) was rather efficient with 2 judge burst-ed spikes.
I do agree that Beater Bars are overpowered in this scenario.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1332 on: November 30, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »
Oh sure, thanks...
BTW, I'm sure my HW flipper (AKA true popup) was rather efficient with 2 judge burst-ed spikes.
Sorry if I got misundestood. I didn't included you into the unskilled builders (else I wouldn't have chosen you as teammate). Same goes for NFX, G.K., SKBT and some others.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1333 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:15 AM »
Oh sure, thanks...
Sorry if I got misundestood. I didn't included you into the unskilled builders (else I wouldn't have chosen you as teammate). Same goes for NFX, G.K., SKBT and some others.
Sorry, that was my internet sarcasm fail. I'm simply stating the relatively OP nature of beater bars. Drums are really the only IRL design that has that sort of weapon weight, when transferred to RA2, they dominate (unless of course one uses BBs on a spinner)
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1334 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
It doesn't help that most of the top builders have stopped posting in showcases (123, Ounce, Pwn, etc).

Agreed. Even though I lean more toward the IRL style of building (mainly because I enjoy it), I do miss seeing those showcases active.  I believe that a lot of trends in bot building are driven by inspiration... and the IRL style is ruling at the moment.  DSL realistic ruled for a long time though, I don't think it is entirely forgotten, but I think that people got tired of it for now.

Realistic was meant to be like IRL, but thanks to 123, Ounce and Nary, it became (In the words of R0B0) "A glorified no-stacking rule."

IRL is merely DSL builders realizing that they were approaching Starcore AI levels of unrealism fast, and rectifying it.
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1335 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:09 PM »

Realistic was meant to be like IRL, but thanks to 123, Ounce and Nary, it became (In the words of R0B0) "A glorified no-stacking rule."

IRL is merely DSL builders realizing that they were approaching Starcore AI levels of unrealism fast, and rectifying it.

R0B0 is the one complaining despite the fact that he was half-stacking weapons in DSL popups before me ? Hah !

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1336 on: November 30, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
There is indeed nothing realistic about DSL "realistic". You may as well start stacking those ant batteries and be done with it.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1337 on: November 30, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
Hey, at least I've acknowledged that my building helped advance the trend towards unrealism just as much as anyone else. Just because I'm part of the problem doesn't also mean I can't help provide solutions too.

Offline smashysmashy

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1338 on: November 30, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
It's funny how this topic has become a discussion.

I'm just sitting here and trying to learn some RA2 history =P

Also, why make it DSL realistic when you can stack ants without having to zoom in? =P

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1339 on: November 30, 2011, 02:38:47 PM »
There is indeed nothing realistic about DSL "realistic". You may as well start stacking those ant batteries and be done with it.

I am okay for calling it something else than DSL realistic, but it is the name it was used for this.

What about "DSL efficient" or something ?

Hey, at least I've acknowledged that my building helped advance the trend towards unrealism just as much as anyone else. Just because I'm part of the problem doesn't also mean I can't help provide solutions too.

Where do you see a problem ? Exactly as it did for stock between 2003 and a few years ago (where stock stopped evolving a lot), natural building evolution towards more refined, efficient designs in DSL is a given.

Though maybe DSL efficiency has reached a peak in much less time than stock did, especially with people like 123 and Ounce, and now people are building IRL.

That game by itself is unrealistic. If we were to build EXACTLY like IRL, without abusing any of the quirks of the game, RA2 would become a spinner fest because people would get bored to see a wedge battle.

[meta][lampshade]...Now this has been two pages I have been fighting alone against everyone else over a battle of ideology, in the wrong thread (but I don't care. If my showcase shall contain much EPIC DEBATE about RA2, so be it :D), and without any true reasonable arguments since IRL vs Efficiency is at it's core a matter of personal likes or dislikes. And I start to tire of this, because I can't seem to convince myself of the logical truth of my arguments. [/lampshade][/meta]

Maybe I should post a new bot...