Author Topic: Deadgenocide's DSL Showcase of FML  (Read 14001 times)

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • "Fast and Furious." - Stock Team SPARK
    • UCe_o8LyJBuavehO3pRU5ilg
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Deadgenocide's DSL Showcase of FML
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
So I decided to make a showcase for....
showcasing really.
also my designs are kinda bad so :P
This first bot is just a simple heavyweight drumbot I made called 138

It weighs 578.2 kg with 5mm thick steel and has 2 brushless antweight motors powering the drum and 2 NPC-T64 (fast) motors to drive it.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:33:37 AM by DeadGenocide »
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Deadgenocide's Showcase of FML
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »
Quick tips:
Angle connectors and base plate anchors are useless, use multi extenders and extenders instead.
There are no other batteries besides the ant batteries. Use one for every spin motor.
Empty space is the enemy. Get it as tight as you can.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »
hey we all gotta start somewhere :)
it's good to make it a habit to post the armor and weight of the robot too, it really helps us out. Like I'm asssuming it's a MW but i'm not really sure.

Note: You are using DSL v 2.1, but DSL 2.2 is finally being released after many years. I probably wouldn't take too much of this component balance I'll give you advice to heart since this is 2.1 and a lot will change when 2.2 comes out. I'm assuming many parts that aren't viable now will be more balanced in that release.

The design's not bad. with some work I think it can be very solid.
your drive is excellent. those tires and motors are a great choice for MWs. also side armor is a great idea. Instead of using the baseplate anchor + angled extender which is heavy and fragile, try using the black and red multiextender instead and just mount it in the middle of the bar. It basically does the same thing as the anchor but its more useful and easier to place.
The weapon is a good concept but it needs a bit of work. piglets may be a little weak and you likely don't have enough weapons and have short weapon range as well. try working with this as well as shrinking the chassis (DSL chassis armor is notoriously weak, making a big chassis suicide- most people just make a chassis with batteries and cover the rest of the robot with external armor plates... but this may change in 2.2). in 2.1, it's pretty dumb but only ant batteries are really worth using. due to some mistakes in the programming, all the batteries effectively release the same amount of power, meaning you really only need 1 ant per spin motor, with maybe an extra afterwards for good measure. this will probably change in 2.2 also, making all the batteries viable.

For this robot, it has the potential to be a real tank. I'd try to shrink the chassis and add more armor while trying to beef up the weapons. You're on the right track. 

I personally think ironforge is easier for newbies to pick up, as the components in that are more balanced and it's overall simpler to make a great killing machine. you just gotta get used to the weightclasses a bit but it's no big deal really. But just cause you may prefer one mod to another doesn't mean you have to build exclusively in that. we'll be glad to see whatever you come up with :)

ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »
Pretty good for a newbie.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
I personally think ironforge is easier for newbies to pick up, as the components in that are more balanced and it's overall simpler to make a great killing machine. you just gotta get used to the weightclasses a bit but it's no big deal really. But just cause you may prefer one mod to another doesn't mean you have to build exclusively in that. we'll be glad to see whatever you come up with :)

I can't be asked to do Ironforge i'm sorry I can't be asked
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »
Here's another bot:

It weighs 784.8 kg with 2 Spring Loaded Beta motors 2 NPC-T64 (fast) motors and 2 mini wheels

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:58:29 PM »
metal hinges work better for wedges than skirt hinges. I don't think the bot needs to be that high, try to get the beta on the baseplate and then shrink the height of the bot.

Oh, and hypno wheels work best on right/left NPCs
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline R1885

• Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »
Skirt hinges make for decent wedges, but only if you use the middle attachment point. Burst motors still make the best wedges, fallowed by metal hinges, fallowed by skirt hinges, fallowed by axle hinged wedges.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
Here's Pop-Up I made

5mm thick steel
Weighs 758.1 kg
With 2 NPC-T64 (fast) motors 2 Micro Wheels 4 pairs of spike strips (8 spike strips in all) and 3 small wedges connected to metal hinges  :vista:

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »
Here's Pop-Up I made
(Image removed from quote.)
5mm thick steel
Weighs 758.1 kg
With 2 NPC-T64 (fast) motors 2 Micro Wheels 4 pairs of spike strips (8 spike strips in all) and 3 small wedges connected to metal hinges  :vista:
That bot's illegal because the spike strips are overlapping the batteries, I suggest changing the batteries to ants (like everyone else have said) and changing the Y-connected spike stripes (which are crap in DSL btw) into a row of razors like this :

Oh, and also ditch the middle wedge because the left and right wedge's are already doing it's job.

ps : hinge wedges are godly

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
Remember,  you should only use ant batteries in the overwhelming majority of bots. 1 per spin motor, 2.5 per BSG burst, and round up.

I havent played DSL in literally years, but IIRC you should use skirts (preferably 120cm steel) for wedges, or the blue wedges or the end of dsl bars or half-sheets.

Also,  razors are the best weapons for popups, try to use them. Look up how other popups made by other people attach their razors, since I think using y-connectors is quite inefficient. In addition, the spike strips are going through the batteries atm, which isnt allowed in the DSL standard style of building. You can make the bursts start more vertically to fix this.

However, I can see clear improvement from your earlier bots, both in design, execution and the (lack of) empty space in the chassis. Keep improving!

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
Here's Pop-Up I made
5mm thick steel
Weighs 758.1 kg
That bot's illegal because the spike strips are overlapping the batteries, I suggest changing the batteries to ants (like everyone else have said) and changing the Y-connected spike stripes (which are crap in DSL btw) into a row of razors like this :

(yes this is a HW but the same principles apply to MWs too)

Oh, and also ditch the middle wedge because the left and right wedge's are already doing it's job.

Ninja'd.

I would say middle wedges can work. Doesnt No More Hope (that popup made by 123stw) have 3 wedges? Although I think the middle wedge on Deadgenocide's is 1 pixel further back than the 2 outer wedges, making it useless.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
Here's Pop-Up I made
5mm thick steel
Weighs 758.1 kg

(yes this is a HW but the same principles apply to MWs too)

Ninja'd.

I would say middle wedges can work. Doesnt No More Hope (that popup made by 123stw) have 3 wedges? Although I think the middle wedge on Deadgenocide's is 1 pixel further back than the 2 outer wedges, making it useless.
No the middle wedge was just lower in the screenshot they aren't behind or in front of each other

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »
the middle wedge is fine but they are too low with the ground clearance you have now, they must be sticking up in the air a bit
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 07:26:21 AM »
this flipper is indeed too tall. rebuild the chassis, test what is the optimum height (should be a height where you can fit those 30kg long black batteries) and rebuild your bot.

about the popup i think he can honestly keep three metal hinged wedges. sure it's heavy AF but it makes the bot less generic and it provides defense against bots with a long, single metal skirt wedge in the middle.

it also needs more speed. if you use npc fasts, use techno destructo wheels. you really need them because a popup without speed is a sitting duck.

also we generally never build unrealistic in dsl. unrealistic stock is fine.

note you can build unrealistic in dsl, just people don't like it generally & if you build for competition you will find no opponents.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 10:19:43 AM »
this flipper is indeed too tall. rebuild the chassis, test what is the optimum height (should be a height where you can fit those 30kg long black batteries) and rebuild your bot.

about the popup i think he can honestly keep three metal hinged wedges. sure it's heavy AF but it makes the bot less generic and it provides defense against bots with a long, single metal skirt wedge in the middle.

it also needs more speed. if you use npc fasts, use techno destructo wheels. you really need them because a popup without speed is a sitting duck.

also we generally never build unrealistic in dsl. unrealistic stock is fine.

note you can build unrealistic in dsl, just people don't like it generally & if you build for competition you will find no opponents.
I try not to build unrealistic in DSL (mainly because I like IRL bot's) so I try not to but I can't do Ironforge I just can't.

Here's another HW bot:

It weighs 415.4 kg, with 4 NPC-T64 (fast) motors with 4 micro wheels, 2 BSG motors with 2 Samurai Swords, and 1 Tornado Wedge

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
Build to the weight limits, use ant batteries.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
but I can't do Ironforge I just can't.

Why do you keep saying you won't try it? I mean if you don't want to that's fair but you make it sounds like life or death.

But yeah, make sure your bursts are fully powered amp-wise, then 4 ants for the drive. Plus Micro wheels suck and you really need to pick a weight class to aim for - MW is 400, and HW is 800. 415 makes it a super underweight HW and therefore will be hugely outclassed by heavier bots.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
Re: Deadgenocide's Showcase of FM
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
I try not to build unrealistic in DSL (mainly because I like IRL bot's) so I try not to but I can't do Ironforge I just can't.
With DSL, as far as I remember you've got dsl standard and IRL. Unrealistic building (aka parts that move cutting through parts that shouldn't move, like a wheel inside of batteries or a spinning bar cutting through control board or motors and stacking) is generally seen as 'wrong' as far as dsl goes, unless you're building some kind of artbot. Other than that, dsl standard is just stock with the realistic rule put in- you're still building to maximum efficiency, just without stacking, glitching, clipping, things of that nature.

IRL is that style of bot building that angers the efficiency-heads who came from precision, competitive building. The idea behind IRL is to try to make a bot look and function like how a bot IRL would look, hence IRL.

That being said, do whatever the heck you want. Some people go for building replicas of real bots (See: Sonny_Resetti, TommyProductionsINC), some people simply build cool looking stuff (See: Domanating, Enigma).

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
I can't be asked to do Ironforge i'm sorry I can't be asked
What Ironforge is literally just rebalanced DSL