Author Topic: Special effects for robots (lights, music, etc)  (Read 1932 times)

Offline The Marionette Man

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • FIAT: Fix It Again Tony
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Special effects for robots (lights, music, etc)
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
I don't know if anybody has done this, but is it possible to make lights such as rotary, strobe or headlights for bots? Maybe even music too, to give it an ice cream truck kind of feel, or a police car.

Basically, is it possible to make bots more vehicle looking?

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Special effects for robots (lights, music, etc)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
I doubt it. Soundboard has been done though.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »
Conraaa did something in Our Replicas Are Different
watch his piano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62JkitW_GNU&feature=player_embedded#

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
There are music box components, I know that much.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
Maybe even music too, to give it an ice cream truck kind of feel, or a police car.
really its not that difficult... just copy the files for a rad/copal or some small motor and edit the motorsound = to the .wav of your choice and have it on infinite loop with a switch/have it disable when the bot is defeated with a button/analog or something
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline The Marionette Man

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • FIAT: Fix It Again Tony
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
Maybe even music too, to give it an ice cream truck kind of feel, or a police car.
really its not that difficult... just copy the files for a rad/copal or some small motor and edit the motorsound = to the .wav of your choice and have it on infinite loop with a switch/have it disable when the bot is defeated with a button/analog or something
Oh yeah! What was I thinking? I've already done this!  :rolleyes:

It was really the lights that I've always wondered about.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
IIRC there have been a couple components related to lights. For example, a lightbar component has been made (by either Darkrat or ACAMS). As far as projecting light, the closest thing would be to have a mesh that doesn't collide with anything (like the one used by the laser in Firebeetle's component pack). Unfortunately, this method wouldn't work well for strobe lights because you can't remove the mesh.

There are however a couple workarounds if you are willing to make a custom Arena or AI for the bot(s). In the same way that I made part of the robot invisible in my Online Arena, you could toggle the visibility of a single component (the light).
  • From either the AI or the Arena, you can monitor the status of a switch/analog/button. The caveat is that it wouldn't work for human players because there is, currently, no way of looking at their input statuses (the sergepatcher may be able to do this but I haven't had any luck with it).
  • In addition to the one above, you could make one of the camera's turn the light on/off for human players (Arena.py only). Unfortunately, the only working example of this that I have released is the Online Arena but I can help future proof it (the way that I did it doesn't support the action cam that I created and I have yet to release the update for it)
  • From either the AI or the Arena, you can track when a wheel (it doesn't have to look like one) touches the something that isn't attached to the bot. Looking past the obvious issues with complexity and airtime, this method has some benefits. For one thing, it would work for both humans (Arena.py only) and AI (either Arena.py or AI.py) without anything special. However, the best thing about it is that it wouldn't affect bots that didn't have a light on them.
I would be glad to help if you need any assistance with this.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
My last Christmas BOTM entry used a lot of special light effects.

The red lights on the disc "rotate" around the edge, the green lights on top "move" up and down, and the light on top changes colors.

You can easily make "lights" that are always on using a reflection map and additive transparency, but I needed to make a custom .py for that bot in order to make them turn on and off, which won't work for any other bot.

So, to answer you question, it's possible, just not practical.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Madiaba

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:30:39 PM »
You can also change the arena during the game (and thus lighting, and any/every thing else in it)...  :)
(I miss this... :( )
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
MAD. WE MISS YOU TOO.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.