5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317089 times)

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1540 on: May 31, 2016, 06:29:01 AM »
Seeing all of this it does make you wonder.. where they that naive, or what would they gain by describing the game as complete? They've opened themselves up needlessly to negativity then if their early access announcement was just "We didn't get as much done as we had hoped but we didn't want to disappoint you by pushing the release date back, it will now be early access and we can make the game better together in open beta"

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1541 on: May 31, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1542 on: May 31, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1543 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
Gotcha
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1544 on: May 31, 2016, 08:00:21 AM »
That's literally all they had to do. Just say "hey, yea we had to change this to early access because we didn't finish the game in time. So here's something to tide you over and get excited about while we add the things obviously wrong with the game." It was literally that easy.

Honesty is always a good policy. Sure people don't always wanna hear the truth. But it's what will get you the furthest.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1545 on: May 31, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »
Well, here's to hoping right now they're lighting their keyboards up getting stuff fixed and proper.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1546 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »
Well, here's to hoping right now they're lighting their keyboards up getting stuff fixed and proper.

Offline MAD Scientist

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1547 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »

Offline goose

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1548 on: May 31, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
I agree with all of you about the plethora of bugs that the game has. But I have another complain about this game. Its basically RA2 made using a different game and physic engine. I was really hoping they would have rethought the game and did something more innovative. Would be cool if we had a gear or chain system. Maybe a more realistic  chassis building system... out of steel tubes and panels, or something.

oh well.
sippin' on my Honeydew bubble tea.
party in my tummy. yummy, yummy.

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #1549 on: May 31, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
I agree with all of you about the plethora of bugs that the game has. But I have another complain about this game. Its basically RA2 made using a different game and physic engine. I was really hoping they would have rethought the game and did something more innovative. Would be cool if we had a gear or chain system. Maybe a more realistic  chassis building system... out of steel tubes and panels, or something.

oh well.
That's actually what I was hoping for when it was announced.
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1550 on: May 31, 2016, 04:55:20 PM »

oh well.
I think most of us figured this was gonna be a half-ass cash grab, so RA2 with better physics was all most of us dared hope for, then of course, we didn't even get that.  :rolleyes:
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #1551 on: May 31, 2016, 10:46:29 PM »
Just thinking out loud here since this is the only place this is really applicable. One thing I noticed when RA3 went from beta to Early Access is that the 9 achievements that were formerly associated with the game straight up disappeared. I have no idea what the achievements were. I'm assuming they were all hidden/secret achievements because nothing I did in the game unlocked any of them. They may very well have been used for testing and were otherwise unobtainable in the first place, because I goofed around with lots of components, arenas, test battles, and Steam Workshop options. There was also never an "Achievements/Trophies/Awards" page in the in-game menus.

Unfortunately, I was never able to look them up to see what they were. Viewing a game's achievement stats on Steam normally requires the game to have a public store page and when RA3 was still in development attempting to view its achievements just caused you to go back to the default Steam store homepage instead. I'm led to believe they were all secret achievements because none of them appeared as greyed out icons on the Library page for Robot Arena 3 for me, it just had the generic "+9" in a gray box that is commonly associated with achievements you are missing whose unlock requirements are secret.
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1552 on: June 01, 2016, 01:47:03 AM »
Would be cool if we had a gear or chain system.

Maybe someone can make something like this when/if the game stops sucking.

Offline goose

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1553 on: June 01, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
We could give making gears a go. this engine may handle it better than havok(what physics engine is it, anyway). But my guess is the friction loss would make it very unusable. When I tried in RA2 motors were not strong enough to turn the gears I made.  survos kinda worked, but were slow and "rubbery".  Do motor axles stay on motors better in this game?

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1554 on: June 01, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »
Yep, though the robot itself is more likely to do the spazzing (light compact chassis with Z-tek HPs doing flips on the spot, awkward collision detection/physics with some items on burst motors)

Really the motors don't turn fast enough to get in any trouble themselves.

UPDATE

http://steamcommunity.com/app/363530/discussions/0/357287304421745519/?tscn=1464810304

We're testing a new build today that could be live for the community as soon as tomorrow. The next build will address some issues, but obviously it won't begin to address everything.

As for a publicized action plan, we've had a lot of meetings about it. Obviously there is a lot to figure out (and we had a holiday weekend here this last weekend), so we're trying to take our time and get it right. Obviously, no one will be happy if we rush things out.

To summarize, we're continuing to work on the goals we already had in place and we're figuring out the best way to react to all the feedback that's been offered up so far.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:53:09 PM by RedlineM203 »

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1555 on: June 01, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »
Interesting. Let's see if the game will be more playable then.

I will say that when I tried it, I was not happy. I also don't like how the component moving with the botlap works at all.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1556 on: June 01, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
We could give making gears a go. this engine may handle it better than havok(what physics engine is it, anyway). But my guess is the friction loss would make it very unusable. When I tried in RA2 motors were not strong enough to turn the gears I made.  survos kinda worked, but were slow and "rubbery".  Do motor axles stay on motors better in this game?
It's using the Unity engine

Yep, though the robot itself is more likely to do the spazzing (light compact chassis with Z-tek HPs doing flips on the spot, awkward collision detection/physics with some items on burst motors)

Really the motors don't turn fast enough to get in any trouble themselves.

UPDATE

http://steamcommunity.com/app/363530/discussions/0/357287304421745519/?tscn=1464810304

We're testing a new build today that could be live for the community as soon as tomorrow. The next build will address some issues, but obviously it won't begin to address everything.

As for a publicized action plan, we've had a lot of meetings about it. Obviously there is a lot to figure out (and we had a holiday weekend here this last weekend), so we're trying to take our time and get it right. Obviously, no one will be happy if we rush things out.

To summarize, we're continuing to work on the goals we already had in place and we're figuring out the best way to react to all the feedback that's been offered up so far.
It's 1 update, we should be looking more at what direction it's going rather than the content of the patch, as I doubt many if any of the major issues will be fixed.

Offline goose

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1557 on: June 01, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »

Did some poking. I did not know much about unity. I assumed  it was like unreal where  you use different  physics engine extensions, but unity has its own physics engine

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1558 on: June 01, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
Well, I was going to buy RA3 today anyways just to see if it would improve, and now this is giving me an actual reason.

Hopefully this patch will prove the developers are going the RCTW route (release a crap initial version on Early Access for reasons and then fix the game over time), except maybe faster.

Offline Jules

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1559 on: June 01, 2016, 07:31:10 PM »

Did some poking. I did not know much about unity. I assumed  it was like unreal where  you use different  physics engine extensions, but unity has its own physics engine

Unity uses PhysX and as far as I know it isn't difficult to switch to other physics systems and continue to use Unity.

For example, the Bullet Physics System, which is thought to be better by many can be easily implemented