5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317059 times)

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1420 on: May 26, 2016, 04:43:32 PM »
I don't think it's unrescuable. It definitely won't be the quick month's stop in early access we were told it would be, though.

UPDATE
The devs respond. http://steamcommunity.com/app/363530/discussions/0/357287304421745519/

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1421 on: May 26, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
So looks like we've all been played.  I watched battle footage and I hate say it but it looks dull as concrete. Nice Menu UI Though.

I could buy it but game money is for the new Fire Emblem next. So as I mentioned wait and see approach then.
*Go's back to Valkyria Chronicles for the night*
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline courthousedoc

• Derpasaurus Rex
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • AKA Okamifan1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • A Taste of Deco
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Okamifan1 #2120
« Reply #1422 on: May 26, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
I say it is so so... I mean I really enjoy the fights but the building system is a real pain.
Let me tell you something I learned through life... The weakest link in the chain isn't always the failure point.
Steam:
Tournament History:
My Showcases:

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1423 on: May 26, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »
One of you guys should be super cool and post some pictures of Inky.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1424 on: May 26, 2016, 07:14:09 PM »
Received a response from one of the devs

"Thanks for the feedback and I must admit it has been rough release, but will fix what we can.

With multiplayer plugin not working with 3 or more players we just set it up to play 1v1 without the rules.   The builds we have in testing have the options for weight class and timing and everything.

We have bugs filed for the stacking components into each other.

We have bugs in for the wedge issue as well and that is something that the developer is trying to work thru and from what I understand it is not a simple matter.

Balance is another issue that has been affected and motor speeds is a large complaint we have.    I have a requested that the items have a weight listed in the interface rather than when you add it to the bot and just see the mass increase or decrease.   I am certain the developer would love help on the balancing issue and perhaps I can get you the spreadsheet that they work from.   Will try.

Again, Thanks for the feedback.   I really do appreciate it."
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1425 on: May 26, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »
Yeah, the build system doesn't work very well, if at all, though moving components around with a grid is nice, its literally broken in every way possible besides that.

-rotating components are done by the degree or less, making it virtually impossible to rotate anything into place 100%, also every component you add you have to cycle through all of the connection points, and then rotate it to where you want it
-The entire UI is filled with xbox controller bullsh** which makes it difficult to navigate
-paint system isn't working, the test objects in the lab randomly vanish (if you can get your bot moving without it blowing up)
-chassis drawing system is frustrating as it doesn't lock you into a layer and parts constantly get in the way, I actually like it /less/ than ra2's simple one
-Every motor has exactly the same stats, I confirmed this by attaching stuff to each motor, they all spin exactly the same rpm and acceleration
-burst motors, pistons, hinges, virtually everything explodes randomly, and not just a little bit.
-I tried a couple designs, most of the weapons have no stats or hitboxes or something
-whenever you click a component it auto adds it to your chassis, under the chassis, so you have to manually remove them all afterwards
-did I mention everything randomly explodes? especially if you want something low to the ground

I put in for a refund, I'll try again when this even remotely resembles a game.
The good:
-the bumper components and wheelguards are /really/ neat though the attachment points on the wheelguard make them pretty dicey to actually use

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1426 on: May 26, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
-Every motor has exactly the same stats, I confirmed this by attaching stuff to each motor, they all spin exactly the same rpm and acceleration

That would explain why the powered steering units are hands down the best drive motor in the game right now...

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1427 on: May 26, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »

That would explain why the powered steering units are hands down the best drive motor in the game right now...

Yeah, I made a big wide chassis, attached a flywheel and a marker to each one, they are all exactly the same.
With the bots exploding at /this/ speed, I dont think the game is ready for more than 3mph sumo bots.

I couldnt even make a ddt powered lifter with spikes at the end, as soon as it would return to the floor, the bot would go flying.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1428 on: May 26, 2016, 07:28:01 PM »

Yeah, I made a big wide chassis, attached a flywheel and a marker to each one, they are all exactly the same.
With the bots exploding at /this/ speed, I dont think the game is ready for more than 3mph sumo bots.
My game has been much more stable than RA2 to be fair. I daisy-chained 2 sets of 3 ztecs together and loaded 3 of the biggest discs onto each, filled each AP with irons and it was totally fine. Worst Ive had is stuff flying away when it got caught beneath an array of 10ish chainsaw hammers on DDTs, but that was kinda expected.

And for the record I think the chassis creation is prettt sweet once you get used to it, even tho it would be better to 'draw'  one layer at a time like ra2
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1429 on: May 26, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
I've been looking at a few videos and I realized... Is the "put items anywhere" really all that bad? I mean, its obviously too much currently but at the same time havent you been annoyed at items in RA2 that visually fit in places (say, an ant behind a snapper) but because the items hitboxes are huge you cant place them there? Even with DSL we can do some crazy stacking too but the community made rules about what is acceptable and what isn't and everyone builds pretty realistically in DSL despite possibilities.

I think you're too free to put items anywhere now but I think lenient stacking rules allows for both Stock style crazyness as well as DSL style realistic building without the annoyance of pixel-perfect placement to get past hitbox shenanigans (Like this: https://i.imgur.com/VqeVeEE.png - You gotta find that magic pixel to stack that ant like the other side). I sure have wished many times that items didn't have hitboxes in RA2 botlab because at the end of the day people only care about visual stacking. Some bots end up looking even worse when legitimately done because even though there's a good-looking spot to place the item, the game sometimes only allows placement of some items when they're visually stacking a bit due to hitboxes.

Even stuff such as motors largely outside a chassis is pretty possible IRL. As long as they have a system in place where it can be blown off/damaged beyond use as if it was outside I think it should be alright to do. We do it with NPCs in DSL and nobody complains.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:12:43 PM by LiNcK »

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1430 on: May 26, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
My game has been much more stable than RA2 to be fair. I daisy-chained 2 sets of 3 ztecs together and loaded 3 of the biggest discs onto each, filled each AP with irons and it was totally fine. Worst Ive had is stuff flying away when it got caught beneath an array of 10ish chainsaw hammers on DDTs, but that was kinda expected.

And for the record I think the chassis creation is prettt sweet once you get used to it, even tho it would be better to 'draw'  one layer at a time like ra2

I've uploaded "testangst" please go snag it and see if it flies all over the place at random for you.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1431 on: May 26, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »

I've uploaded "testangst" please go snag it and see if it flies all over the place at random for you.
I refunded the game m8. I actually remember some seriously wonky physics, but that was to do with components touching the floor instead of anything else.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1432 on: May 26, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
I'll check it out tomorrow or something myself. 2am. Eyes kinda hurt.

One of you guys should be super cool and post some pictures of Inky.

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1433 on: May 26, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
Dear God.

First, Rollercoaster Tycoon World is released as an unfinished, buggy mess, killing the hype of thousands of dedicated fans.

Now Robot Arena 3 is a unfinished mess as well, crushing GTM's collective soul.

And Mighty No. 9 is shaping up to be a disappointment as well, possibly scuttling the Megaman series for good.

Guys.

2016 will be the year that gaming died.

(Except for Nintendo, probably.)

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #1434 on: May 26, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
Huh.

So, it's not a horrible game. But it is broken.

I'm not sure how fixable the physics are. I think they're the reason for most of the annoying brokenness (==having to use car steering to get any sort of decent maneuverability).
The BotLab is interesting - the lack of snap points in an extra dimension makes it an order of magnitude more difficult to design things. But that's fixable. I hope so is the chassis creation. I actually like being able to click on attachment points of motors when attaching wheels. I also like the snap-to-2d-grid when moving components around.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1435 on: May 26, 2016, 08:44:08 PM »
Alright, I think some of you heard me say this in the Skype chat, but I kinda wanted to put this here too.

if i'm one of those people that sounded "ungrateful" when I posted my initial thoughts, then I apologize.  I do not want to bash octopus tree since they are a new blood of publishers.  I was annoyed with the "birds eye thing" that occurs in the bot lab and that when I try to move  a point on my chassis, for some reason it moves the point about five more points away from where I wanted to be.  it just got on my nerves so much, that I had a hard time trying to cope with it.  but really, there's a lot of potential in this for when it's official (I think) release comes out.  yes, even for early access standards it shouldn't happen in the first place, but I still see potential in the publishers, and devs, to make big hits that can compete with aaa titles.  and this could actually help the publishers (and devs).  it can help them learn from their errors so that they know what to avoid so that they don't make fatal errors in making their next big title. again, i don't want to sound rude or annoyed.  this was the sequel to the game i probably spent more time than any other game (i know, i'm sad and pathetic) and i just felt pretty disappointed in the end.  i apologize if i sounded awkward or arrogant originally.

And after reading the message the devs sent out, I just want to apologize for my arrogant message review I sent out earlier.  No hard feelings, and good luck with the update when that comes around.

Oh, and I hate to deviate for a small off topic thing but, I need to address something quickly...

Guys.

2016 will be the year that gaming died.
Oh no.  Three game franchises are doing unsuccessfully.  Clearly, gaming is doomed in 2016.

Seriously, I can name a lot of great games that came out this year and were successful.  Really, I feel that I would have to look pretty hard for some really bad titles.  Maybe I'm out of the loop, somehow missed the news about Konami last year, but I still feel 2016 for gaming is going strong.  No offense to you, dude.

Okay.  I'm done going off topic with that.  I just needed to get that off my chest.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1436 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:52 PM »
Alright, I think some of you heard me say this in the Skype chat, but I kinda wanted to put this here too.

if i'm one of those people that sounded "ungrateful" when I posted my initial thoughts, then I apologize.  I do not want to bash octopus tree since they are a new blood of publishers.  I was annoyed with the "birds eye thing" that occurs in the bot lab and that when I try to move  a point on my chassis, for some reason it moves the point about five more points away from where I wanted to be.  it just got on my nerves so much, that I had a hard time trying to cope with it.  but really, there's a lot of potential in this for when it's official (I think) release comes out.  yes, even for early access standards it shouldn't happen in the first place, but I still see potential in the publishers, and devs, to make big hits that can compete with aaa titles.  and this could actually help the publishers (and devs).  it can help them learn from their errors so that they know what to avoid so that they don't make fatal errors in making their next big title. again, i don't want to sound rude or annoyed.  this was the sequel to the game i probably spent more time than any other game (i know, i'm sad and pathetic) and i just felt pretty disappointed in the end.  i apologize if i sounded awkward or arrogant originally.

And after reading the message the devs sent out, I just want to apologize for my arrogant message review I sent out earlier.  No hard feelings, and good luck with the update when that comes around.

Oh, and I hate to deviate for a small off topic thing but, I need to address something quickly...

Don't feel bad about sounding ungrateful, when a company sh**s out an unfinished game in order to hit a release window, they deserve to take some hits for it, no matter what the reasons. If as a new publisher, they want to make it in the gaming industry, they'll need some quality control. RA2 fans are on a whole, rather forgiving of glitches actually, so we're going easy on them. We literally only hoped for it to be slightly less broken than RA2, which it isn't, not even close.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Jules

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1437 on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
-Cash Grab-

I'll jump off a building if they actually implemnt the chassis system as it should be. They won't

The motors all having he same stats isn't a mistake.
Half of the ai bots being unskinned isn't a mistake.
No weightclasses isn't a mistake.

It isn't this way because they don't know any better. They are handing us a sh** a sandwich and expecting us to eat it.

Let's not forget, they plan on staying in early access for a month.
They got a bunch of sales today. They don't have much of a reason to continue.

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1438 on: May 26, 2016, 09:06:52 PM »
QUICK! GUYS! WE NEED TO CEMENT OUR REIGN OVER THIS GAME BY TAKING OVER THE RA3 WIKI!

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1439 on: May 26, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »
QUICK! GUYS! WE NEED TO CEMENT OUR REIGN OVER THIS GAME BY TAKING OVER THE RA3 WIKI!

they offered balance spreadsheet above, DSL/AU mod need to extrapolate their balance to a formulae or three and get it in the game to begin with.

If they are forced to get the physics working with reasonable weapon and motor power, it'll end up better later