5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317972 times)

Offline Goon

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You know who I am...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1140 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
tl;dr you want complicated components to be made up of multiple individual components? That would be rad.

I think it would also be cool, in the bot lab, if you could detach a component and everything attached to it by removing said component. Say you have a chain that goes anchor-burst-extender-extender-razor, you could remove everything beyond the first extender as a single piece and set it to the side to swap to a different burst and then reattach the entire assembly instead of having to remove and rebuild one piece at a time.

Not sure how it would work, but its an interesting concept.

RIP HurricaneAndrew
June 6, 2009 - October 24, 2015
Never Forget.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1141 on: May 05, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »
tl;dr you want complicated components to be made up of multiple individual components? That would be rad.

Yeah, pretty much the only way I can think of to get something remotely resembling realistic damage with what we're about to be handed

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1142 on: May 05, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
I think it would also be cool, in the bot lab, if you could detach a component and everything attached to it by removing said component. Say you have a chain that goes anchor-burst-extender-extender-razor, you could remove everything beyond the first extender as a single piece and set it to the side to swap to a different burst and then reattach the entire assembly instead of having to remove and rebuild one piece at a time.

While that would also be neat, I was talking about having each individual part being made of its own parts (like a wheel would be 12 jagged pie slices of wheel, then a few chunks of the hub)  so when you take damage, these smaller parts that make up the whole break off when they are hit rather than everything being perfectly fine until the whole assembly falls off.

its only feasable if you can put on all the parts in one go as one "component", not have to construct the jigsaw pizzle to make, say, a wheel :)

Offline Goon

• Antweight
  • You know who I am...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1143 on: May 05, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »

While that would also be neat, I was talking about having each individual part being made of its own parts (like a wheel would be 12 jagged pie slices of wheel, then a few chunks of the hub)  so when you take damage, these smaller parts that make up the whole break off when they are hit rather than everything being perfectly fine until the whole assembly falls off.

its only feasable if you can put on all the parts in one go as one "component", not have to construct the jigsaw pizzle to make, say, a wheel :)

I knew what you meant, but I felt it was a good opportunity to bring up that idea. Seems like they could be achieved via the same type of coding.

RIP HurricaneAndrew
June 6, 2009 - October 24, 2015
Never Forget.

Offline I Like Tacos

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1144 on: May 05, 2016, 04:40:04 PM »

A simpler approach would be to just swap models of a component to make it bent or look damaged at low health, and then have it break off after it loses all of its health. It would be easier to run the game that way too. Maybe the attachment points would bend with the model somewhat to really give the effect. That just seems more feasible to me. Either way, I don't think the way damage is taken will effect how fun the game is by too much.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1145 on: May 05, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
A simpler approach would be to just swap models of a component to make it bent or look damaged at low health, and then have it break off after it loses all of its health. It would be easier to run the game that way too. Maybe the attachment points would bend with the model somewhat to really give the effect. That just seems more feasible to me. Either way, I don't think the way damage is taken will effect how fun the game is by too much.

I'm not sure dynamically swapping models would be easier than just attaching a group of components invisibly, you'd need to come up with some sort of event system, effects to hide the model swaps, all the alternate models, ect.

Offline Jules

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1146 on: May 05, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
Realistic deformation, including actually deforming the colliders is not very difficult in Unity.

Let's hope this game sells well and they get more fund / time to work on a sequel!

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1147 on: May 05, 2016, 06:33:59 PM »
Let's hope this game sells well and they get more fund / time to work on a sequel!
Unless what they wanna do can't be done in the games engine already no reason they could just push updates through Steam. And really if one wanted to they could probably replace the entire game through Steam if they wanted to, so they would never have to make a sequel. Now that's not saying they shouldn't or wouldn't, just saying technically things could get updated until the end of time.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1148 on: May 05, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »
Unless what they wanna do can't be done in the games engine already no reason they could just push updates through Steam. And really if one wanted to they could probably replace the entire game through Steam if they wanted to, so they would never have to make a sequel. Now that's not saying they shouldn't or wouldn't, just saying technically things could get updated until the end of time.

$ure there i$

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1149 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
Not sure why you guys are saying its "bad" that all the components are the same and/or they aren't parts you make yourself.

I like it in this familiar/simplified/etc state, because it's easier to get into for newer players/members/etc.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1150 on: May 06, 2016, 05:19:58 AM »
$ure there i$
Well yea that's the only obvious reason why they wouldn't. Thought I mentioned money in there but I guess I meant to and didn't lol.

Offline Calmarius

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1151 on: May 09, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
Took me a lot of time to read all the 58 pages.

One question that haven't asked yet as far as I can remember:

Will we able to create AI teams and bots in RA3?

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #1152 on: May 10, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »
Will we able to create AI teams and bots in RA3?
Maybe. Probably not at first. Remember, no-one did, or was able to do that when RA2 just came out. Are you gonna put in the required effort to reverse-engineer and mod the game to make it happen?
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #1153 on: May 11, 2016, 01:45:41 AM »
The RA3 Will be free?

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #1154 on: May 11, 2016, 01:49:53 AM »
The RA3 Will be free?
I'm afraid not, this is something we'll all be buying (except if you're a dirty filthy pirate in which you'll be illegally acquiring it.)

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #1155 on: May 11, 2016, 01:56:22 AM »
The RA3 Will be free?
I'm afraid not, this is something we'll all be buying (except if you're a dirty filthy pirate in which you'll be illegally acquiring it.)
I only has zero money.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #1156 on: May 11, 2016, 03:18:24 AM »
The RA3 Will be free?
I only has zero money.

Trust me, I know them feels. But you could save up, or get a job, and just get some steam credit when you can. I don't think everyone's gonna switch to ra3 right away.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1157 on: May 11, 2016, 05:52:08 AM »
The RA3 Will be free?
I only has zero money.

Trust me, I know them feels. But you could save up, or get a job, and just get some steam credit when you can. I don't think everyone's gonna switch to ra3 right away.
Uhhh good luck finding steam credits in china

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1158 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:13 AM »
The RA3 Will be free?
I only has zero money.

Uhhh good luck finding steam credits in china
hes malaysian.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #1159 on: May 11, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
If I remember correctly, it was going to retail around $20USD

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain