5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317088 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1100 on: May 04, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
This thread is not giving a good impression to new users and our new developery overlords.

is the point of this forum to have independent chat about the game or to provide free advertising?

Trailer looks okayish, Ra2 style low speed stuff to keep physics in control... I have no idea at all why that one robot charging the scorpion looking thing goes flying.....

Offline Goon

• Antweight
  • You know who I am...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1101 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:34 AM »
Looks like nothing more than a port with a new physics engine. All the same sh**ty components are still there and a severe lack of new ones. Eh, it's better than nothing, I guess.

Hopefully we can improve it just the same as we did RA2.

RIP HurricaneAndrew
June 6, 2009 - October 24, 2015
Never Forget.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1102 on: May 04, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
Looks like nothing more than a port with a new physics engine. All the same sh**ty components are still there and a severe lack of new ones. Eh, it's better than nothing, I guess.

The chainsaw looking thing is new, though its probably just a single component with animated fake teeth and not something you can build to your spec (like the old saws)
The old components are likely all going to be in to get more components in the game with less work.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1103 on: May 04, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
This thread is not giving a good impression to new users and our new developery overlords.

is the point of this forum to have independent chat about the game or to provide free advertising?

The conversation was complaining about game engine choices over time and Steam DRM. Not relevant to this thread, take it elsewhere.
As Naryar says, further off-topic in this manner will result in warnings.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Goon

• Antweight
  • You know who I am...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1104 on: May 04, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
more components in the game with less work.

I think you mean less effort, but I feel like that isn't necessarily true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it have been easier to remake components instead of modifying current ones to put in the new version?

RIP HurricaneAndrew
June 6, 2009 - October 24, 2015
Never Forget.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1105 on: May 04, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
As for myself, I like having a chainsaw in the game, even though it's probably not going to end up very practical compared to sawblades. Cool, at least.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1106 on: May 04, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
more components in the game with less work.

I think you mean less effort, but I feel like that isn't necessarily true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it have been easier to remake components instead of modifying current ones to put in the new version?

Import model -> convert to new file format (if applicable) -> save new file, seems pretty painless to me.  heck, even opening Ra2, taking a screenshot of each part and sending it to offshore saying "make each of these but higher resolution" saves a lot of time/effort in concept art and communication.

TBH: it isn't all bad, I just wish that the parts weren't so big and stupid, like why would you have a battleaxe that pops off in one piece when you could do the same thing with an extender and two axeheads, or maybe leave them as bigger models but when they take damage they fall apart a chunk at a time, something like that.
We still dont really know what damage looks like, but heck this is 2016, Crysis let you cut down trees by the branch 9 years ago, components falling off as one invincible part is amateur hour :)

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1107 on: May 04, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Also there's possibly good news, in that it appears that there's wheel slippage from the brief trailer, so traction might be modeled somewhat instead of the weird applying vectors, rocketship up walls stuff Ra2 did.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1108 on: May 04, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
at 0:39 a the bot that charges at the scorpion seems to be kinda glitching as it flies of screen after touching the other one.
Also it looks a lot like ra1 to me
I have no idea at all why that one robot charging the scorpion looking thing goes flying.....
If you look closely, you can see that not-Forkie fires it's flippers after it passes by Scorpionbot, which causes it to go flying.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1109 on: May 04, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
I have no idea at all why that one robot charging the scorpion looking thing goes flying.....
If you look closely, you can see that not-Forkie fires it's flippers after it passes by Scorpionbot, which causes it to go flying.

I saw the flippers, they just looked so tiny I didnt think that was possible, lol.
Maybe burst motors can be buffed into orbit, and that those flippers didn't beeble bobble around or explode is indicative to less funky physics!

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1110 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »

Hey now... RA2's components were pretty solid.

Except for things like hammerheads/axe heads/similar weapons/etc that weighed more then the damage they were capable of.
Which is something I'm hoping for, with RA3; having more viable weapons, instead of Razors sitting at the top with everything else being vastly inferior.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1111 on: May 04, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
Which is something I'm hoping for, with RA3; having more viable weapons, instead of Razors sitting at the top with everything else being vastly inferior.

That was kind of my point of having a big all encompassing multiplayer mod, that can be updated in "seasons" or something, you can try out some ideas like tweaking battery usage or increasing plow damage,, then as designs start to stagnate/become as effective as they can get, boom, next season and everything is shaken up because there's different changes.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1112 on: May 04, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

The conversation was complaining about game engine choices over time and Steam DRM. Not relevant to this thread, take it elsewhere.
I think it was relevant to the discussion, it originated from people discussing why they disliked the fact that RA3 is a steam-only release and how it's on unity, and the points raised affected RA3. It's not like people were discussing like iTunes or Cryengine or something.

Have the devs mentioned workshop support? Would be pretty neat for mods etc.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1113 on: May 04, 2016, 01:19:33 PM »

I think it was relevant to the discussion, it originated from people discussing why they disliked the fact that RA3 is a steam-only release and how it's on unity, and the points raised affected RA3. It's not like people were discussing like iTunes or Cryengine or something.

it was at first, then it started to be a discussion about steam and unity, hence it was becoming off-topic.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1114 on: May 04, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »
Oh, and I love how they let have motors/etc sticking out of the bot, and they actually appear that way when you fight with them. It's a small level of realism, but I really like it.

That's possible in RA2, but it's a setting you've got to add in the component declaration. Having it by default's cool.

Great to see some fighting at last, most clips are a bit fast to get an idea of what's going on but I'm looking into it...

- Still using the footage with the half-functional botlab UI, odd call at this stage
- The chainsaw and tungsten spike walls return from RA1 as weapons, I think I see a sawblade rack too
- It appears motors are not invincible and can be knocked off the baseplate, assuming a robot doesn't have a odd setup
- There's that battery looking red box thing on top of robots (???), some kind of spring component, and flexing decorative flags
- Not sure I like the point scoring text, seems to get in the way more then the smaller RA2 text, especially with that saw
- I can't tell what's going on in that one high flying scene in the Parking Lot arena
- That bot that flies after touching the scorpion does have two flipping forks, but I don't understand what happened to make it launch into a forward roll
- What is that red thing ontop of the robot in the subway arena?

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #1115 on: May 04, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
Hm, I only just watched the trailer for the game on Steam. This looks pretty horrible! The GUI seems really unpolished, the rendering and models are pretty craptacular for 2016, and in general it looks… well, very prototypish.

Am I missing here something? Is there newer footage somewhere else?
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1116 on: May 04, 2016, 02:39:25 PM »
- That bot that flies after touching the scorpion does have two flipping forks, but I don't understand what happened to make it launch into a forward roll

the only thing I could think of was the crab arms's impact box or whatever you call it isn't the same shape as it looks and it ramped off of them

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1117 on: May 04, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
Am I missing here something? Is there newer footage somewhere else?

We're talking about this trailer posted in the mess of the Unity/Steam comments, uploaded but not yet announced

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1118 on: May 04, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
The Pnematic typo makes me laugh every time.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #1119 on: May 04, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »
We're talking about this trailer posted in the mess of the Unity/Steam comments, uploaded but not yet announced

Huh, okay, but it basically looks the same. Bummer.

Serge makes a mental note to develop a RAIII spiritual successor when he's bored of his current line of work.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org