5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317039 times)

Offline HX_

• Rep: 1
  • What about a flamethrower?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1060 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »
It's the same problem as with GM(which I honestly find the best game creation software out there), doesn't mean that the engine behind it is bad. One thing that does worry me through is the unity file format, I can imagine that being an issue if you have to un and repack everything instead of simply opening up a .py file in notepad and doing some adjustments to test.

Ever make components for RA2? There is unpacking and repacking involved. It just took a little while before a couple people came along that figured out what the file types were and how to go about opening it up.
leaving this space blank until RA3 is released.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1061 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:31 AM »

You're just shooting yourself in the foot with that statement. Yes, people commonly choose Unity for many reasons...  I don't see how that make Unity a bad engine to develop on just because it had attracted a lot of low-budget indies developers, even one-man dev.

Really, it seems like its only chosen strictly by people who want to make max profit now that unreal, crytec, ect. are all more or less free.  The only other reason I can imagine is "hey we didnt want to restrict the game to only people that bought a pc in the last 5 years"
you can do fun stuff in just about any engine, unitys physics always gave me problems in the little that ive messed around with it though.
Unity gets a lot of undeserved hate because of its accessibility to newcomers, meaning a ton of crap games are made in unity by 12 year olds. There are also some excellent, well polished and well-done physics based games made in unity. I could maybe see your  point if this wasn't basically a bargain-bin release, but really it's 100% down to implementation in this case.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1062 on: May 02, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
Besiege uses uses unity, and that's a great physics based building game:
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1063 on: May 02, 2016, 12:20:37 PM »

Besiege doesn't use the stock physics really. it took them a /really/ long time to dial it in to where things didnt just randomly detonate (and they still do), but we'll see, I'm hoping to be surprised at Ra3 but it is what it is.

I mean all we really want is ra2, with less crashes, better support for addons/programs and more possible "stuff"  It really doesn't seem too crazy these days to just zero out forces that you don't want/out of axis which was a major source of physics detonations rather than just try to contain them with really strong "springs".

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1064 on: May 02, 2016, 01:27:37 PM »

Besiege doesn't use the stock physics really. it took them a /really/ long time to dial it in to where things didnt just randomly detonate (and they still do), but we'll see, I'm hoping to be surprised at Ra3 but it is what it is.

I mean all we really want is ra2, with less crashes, better support for addons/programs and more possible "stuff"  It really doesn't seem too crazy these days to just zero out forces that you don't want/out of axis which was a major source of physics detonations rather than just try to contain them with really strong "springs".
You really hate unity for some reason, huh? Kerbal Space Program, Universe Sandbox, Surgeon Simulator, Gang Beasts and Poly Bridge all were made in unity, and they're all well-made game that have physics as a core part of gameplay. Writing off RA3 because of unity is kinda stupid. You say you want less crashes and fewer physics anomalies, and that's what you'll get by moving away from the Havok engine RA2 used. And I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure unity has insane addon/moddability support compared to the other engines.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1065 on: May 02, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »
You really hate unity for some reason, huh? Kerbal Space Program, Universe Sandbox, Surgeon Simulator, Gang Beasts and Poly Bridge all were made in unity, and they're all well-made game that have physics as a core part of gameplay. Writing off RA3 because of unity is kinda stupid. You say you want less crashes and fewer physics anomalies, and that's what you'll get by moving away from the Havok engine RA2 used. And I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure unity has insane addon/moddability support compared to the other engines.

all of which besides kerbals (which also doesn't use stock physics) suffer from the same random detonations.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1066 on: May 02, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »
Wouldn't be a Robot Arena game without physics explosions.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1067 on: May 02, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »

all of which besides kerbals (which also doesn't use stock physics) suffer from the same random detonations.
I wouldn't exactly call such detonations 'random' as I would attribute them to stress (as far as havok explosions go, anyway). Surgeon Simulator and Gang Beasts are made to be played stupidly; you do a bunch of stupid things and the models/ragdolls go all wild and floppy and the crappy let's play channels generate laughs. I've never seen universe sandbox or poly bridge go berzerk a la havok explosion, but KSP most definitely does, and I cite this maniac's channel.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1068 on: May 02, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call such detonations 'random' as I would attribute them to stress (as far as havok explosions go, anyway). Surgeon Simulator and Gang Beasts are made to be played stupidly; you do a bunch of stupid things and the models/ragdolls go all wild and floppy and the crappy let's play channels generate laughs. I've never seen universe sandbox or poly bridge go berzerk a la havok explosion, but KSP most definitely does, and I cite this maniac's channel.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware there was a mad scientist that played KSB with such a mission, but there you are, lol.

Offline GroudonRobotWars

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • Groudonrct3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1069 on: May 02, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »
Hopefully this will be a good sequel to Robot Arena 2 and not of the quality that Roller Coaster Tycoon World is to Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #1070 on: May 02, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
Oh, hey, Serge came back.
How nice.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1071 on: May 02, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »

You say that but I have a decent number of hours into Universe Sim. and have never encountered a physics explosion.

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #1072 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »
Oh, hey, Serge came back.
How nice.
I'm only here to shitpost and release MAD HACKS YO.

It's not like I kinda missed t-the community or, or, anything, b-b-baka!~
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1073 on: May 02, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »

Nuff said

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1075 on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
When lacking arguments to make a point, fall back to unfunny xenophobic images? Oh, okay, got it.

I'm surprised the makers of RA3 even want to have anything to do with this forum.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1076 on: May 02, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
Xenophobic? I don't think that means what you think it means.

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1077 on: May 02, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »

If the image you posted isn't discriminating against obese people (ergo, xenophobic) then I don't know what is.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1078 on: May 02, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »

If the image you posted isn't discriminating against obese people (ergo, xenophobic) then I don't know what is.
Xenophobia, as your definition shows, is fear of foreigners. Fat people are as all-american as you can get. Did you spend all your time away on Tumblr or something?

Offline Dexterhunter

• Rep: 1
  • spiders live outside
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1079 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:38 AM »
hey how about we talk about ra3