5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 318063 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #920 on: April 15, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
I believe they said true pyramid bots aren't possible, but a builder could bring the vertices of their chassis really, really close together for a similar effect.
You cant combine vertex's into one, so a "true" pyramid you can't do
But just like RA2, you can get them so infinitely close that for all purposes, it is a pyramid.
Its not known if RA3 prevents extreme angles in some situations so that the skinning system doesn't freak out.

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #921 on: April 16, 2016, 11:56:01 PM »
Does having a true pyramid really matter that much?

I get it... it's nice to have the ability to create something but there are some aspect of the design that doesn't really need much development if it's not going to be used as much.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #922 on: April 17, 2016, 03:55:38 AM »
Itsnot the pyramid itself but the posibility to create one. Fore some desingns you want to have pointy stuff shaped by the chassis.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • "Fast and Furious." - Stock Team SPARK
    • UCe_o8LyJBuavehO3pRU5ilg
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #924 on: April 17, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
WILL. THERE. BE. THE. AXLE. GLITCH. OF. DEATH
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #925 on: April 17, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
WILL. THERE. BE. AGOD
There is no god.

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #926 on: April 17, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #927 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »
Bot file editing will be simple, it's a json file you can open with notepad or notepad++. Your bots are stored in your My Documents folder. Component editing is trickier than that and currently takes some knowledge of Unity and CAD, but it should be easier than RA 2.
???

Component editing in RA2 is basically either just editing vertices in notepad or using 3DS max to cad something up. Don't really see how different "Unity and CAD" is from how custom components are made in RA2.

WILL. THERE. BE. THE. AXLE. GLITCH. OF. DEATH
Probably not since AGOD was a product of the [shoddily implemented] havok engine.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #928 on: April 17, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
@AS Maybe it's not as easy to mess up as in RA2?

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #929 on: April 18, 2016, 12:49:35 AM »
>Will there be an open or closed beta?

We have a handful of folks providing us feedback from the RA2 community. The truth is we'd love to have more folks involved in an open beta, but managing a larger group would take more time and we have a limited amount of that remaining. With that being said we have been getting great feedback from the handful of people who have agreed to help and we are extremely appreciative of their time.

So... it's a Closed Beta starting on May 26th and not an actual full release?  I have not seen a game get released on Steam as closed beta right-off-the-bat before.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #930 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:37 AM »
Bot file editing will be simple, it's a json file you can open with notepad or notepad++. Your bots are stored in your My Documents folder. Component editing is trickier than that and currently takes some knowledge of Unity and CAD, but it should be easier than RA 2.
???

Component editing in RA2 is basically either just editing vertices in notepad or using 3DS max to cad something up. Don't really see how different "Unity and CAD" is from how custom components are made in RA2.

They probably meant that since RA3 is much more detailed than RA2 thus custom components need a lot more polygons so that they can actually fit with the other components and not stick out like a blocky thumb, so it's harder to make the models.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #931 on: April 18, 2016, 01:23:37 AM »

We have a handful of folks providing us feedback from the RA2 community. The truth is we'd love to have more folks involved in an open beta, but managing a larger group would take more time and we have a limited amount of that remaining. With that being said we have been getting great feedback from the handful of people who have agreed to help and we are extremely appreciative of their time.

So... it's a Closed Beta starting on May 26th and not an actual full release?  I have not seen a game get released on Steam as closed beta right-off-the-bat before.

What? They mean there won't be a beta at all.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #932 on: April 18, 2016, 01:30:17 AM »

No, it likely means "we got some guys off of GTM and asked them to beta-test the game, and we're not revealing who because you'll just hound them with questions if we do."
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #933 on: April 18, 2016, 02:24:36 AM »
So... BFE will still be relatively easy, but component editing needs some unity know-how? Fair enough.

I'm glad that they now allow you to change the chassis as you build. That will be a MASSIVE timesaver.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #934 on: April 18, 2016, 03:37:57 AM »
I'm gonna take the component editing/ making being easier than RA2 as from a CAD program standpoint not text file editing.

Also that event in Louisville KY is something I could actually go to. I might try to head out there one day this weekend. Hopefully they show something different or would be cool to have a playable demo this weekend. I'll have to see what the price of admission is, cause i'm not paying $40 or whatever just to get a first hand look at RA3. I'm sure the event is cool but I got some other stuff i'd like to do. I'd just wedge in some time to see the game lol.

EDIT: "2016 VEX Worlds is FREE and open to the public. This lively and engaging event is suitable for the entire family. Spectators are welcome to attend the ceremonies, watch matches, and visit with teams in the pit area. Click here for parking information."
Huh, well cool. I'll try to pencil in some time.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #935 on: April 18, 2016, 04:17:46 AM »
Don't really see how different "Unity and CAD" is from how custom components are made in RA2.
I'm gonna take the component editing/ making being easier than RA2 as from a CAD program standpoint not text file editing.

I'm taking it as '3D modelling your parts for RA3 won't require a specific old version of 3DS Max to use our official plugin, the fact of which only changed when the community discovered text editing and made their own plugin for current versions of 3DS Max'

Since it's Unity it's got compatiblity for more model formats and stuff.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #936 on: April 18, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
Since it's Unity I'd imagine people would be able to take assets from the Unity store and use them to make components.

Which, I hope that doesn't happen.
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #937 on: April 18, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »
To be fair it's not like there aren't stores and free resources for 3D models in general

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #938 on: April 18, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
Q&A5

http://steamcommunity.com/games/363530/announcements/detail/865064674844615201
>We have a handful of folks providing us feedback from the RA2 community.

...Are they actually using GTM as a source?

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2016, 05:47:43 PM »
Q&A5

http://steamcommunity.com/games/363530/announcements/detail/865064674844615201
>We have a handful of folks providing us feedback from the RA2 community.

...Are they actually using GTM as a source?

What boulder have you been under?
They've BEEN doing that.