5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317996 times)

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #860 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:53 PM »
What will the RA3 standard style of build be like though?
Time will tell. Pretty sure popups will still be very good
Not if the physics avtually work this time

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #861 on: April 04, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »
Not if the physics avtually work this time
It's not to do with the physics, it's to do with the damage model.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #862 on: April 04, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
Not if the physics actually work this time
Again, unless the team goes out of their way to mimic RA2's damage model then I don't think popups will be any good since modern damage calculations have at least a basic concept of force/area.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #863 on: April 04, 2016, 01:43:59 PM »
Maybe I'm overlooking something but I'm not sure why that'd change anything, it's like a hammer hidden in the chassis.

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #864 on: April 04, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
Maybe I'm overlooking something but I'm not sure why that'd change anything, it's like a hammer hidden in the chassis.

You hit the chasis with a weapon going 10mph, it does 10 damage
but...
You hit the chasis with ten weapons going 10mph, total weight/energy is the same, it does 100 damage because each weapon does individual damage based on speed

In real life it would deal /less/ damage since you have the same amount of force being distributed across a greater area.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #865 on: April 04, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »

You hit the chasis with a weapon going 10mph, it does 10 damage
but...
You hit the chasis with ten weapons going 10mph, total weight/energy is the same, it does 100 damage because each weapon does individual damage based on speed

In real life it would deal /less/ damage since you have the same amount of force being distributed across a greater area.

This to me is the true difference between RA2 HD and RA3. It's fairly important that this is done right in my opinion.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #866 on: April 04, 2016, 04:48:59 PM »
Right, definitely did forgot about that, yeah

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #867 on: April 04, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
Please tell me we're talking 1x10kg weapon should do more damage than 10x1kg weapons, not more damage than 10x10kg weapons?
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #868 on: April 04, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »
Please tell me we're talking 1x10kg weapon should do more damage than 10x1kg weapons, not more damage than 10x10kg weapons?

As far as I understood it, we were saying that 1x10kg weapon should do more damage than 10x10kg weapons. But the dream is to have it calculated by contact patch and forces and all that, meaning that a 1x10kg weapon would do more damage then the bigger contact surfaces of 10x1kg weapons.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #869 on: April 04, 2016, 05:39:45 PM »
As far as I understood it, we were saying that 1x10kg weapon should do more damage than 10x10kg weapons.
This makes no sense from a concussive viewpoint. 100kg should do a lot more damage than 10kg.
But the dream is to have it calculated by contact patch and forces and all that, meaning that a 1x10kg weapon would do more damage then the bigger contact surfaces of 10x1kg weapons.
This is what I'm hoping for.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #870 on: April 04, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »

We're talking about exactly what I posted

if I have a 90 pound bar with 10 little 1 pound teeth at the end, it would actually do less damage than a 100 pound bar in real life because the impact is spread out between 5 little spots instead of one little spot.

In robot arena 2, dealing maximum damage was all about getting as many small weapon tips to impact at the same time as possible, which makes absolutely no sense.  Yes a 30kg weapon did more damage than a 10kg weapon, but it did dramatically less than 3 10kg weapons. or a handful of even smaller ones, its compounded by a bunch of things.  Like if you go weapon to weapon and hit eachother equally, a small weapon might hit for 1000 but it only has 100hp, then snap off, basically giving you 900 "free" damage that didnt count weightwise,  a larger one is not going to be able to frontload anywhere near as well.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #871 on: April 05, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »
Again, unless the team goes out of their way to mimic RA2's damage model then I don't think popups will be any good since modern damage calculations have at least a basic concept of force/area.

Popups will still be good even if they improve the damage model, it will just be that instead of having 8 razors popping out of a wedge you have 1 sledgehammer popping out.

Nerfing popups would require calculating how much force goes into lifting the other bot and then subtracting that from damage somehow, which might be possible but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: April 05, 2016, 11:56:51 PM »

Popups will still be good even if they improve the damage model, it will just be that instead of having 8 razors popping out of a wedge you have 1 sledgehammer popping out.

Nerfing popups would require calculating how much force goes into lifting the other bot and then subtracting that from damage somehow, which might be possible but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.
Maybe reduce the damage weapons do the longer it contacts with weapon/chassis ? It wouldn't affect power-based spinners and make gutrippers useless since usually they need prolonged contact with the chassis to do anything.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: April 06, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
Maybe reduce the damage weapons do the longer it contacts with weapon/chassis ? It wouldn't affect power-based spinners and make gutrippers useless since usually they need prolonged contact with the chassis to do anything.

Proper damage modeling is tough, I think a better way of doing it is to not actually do it, and let the physics engine do the heavy lifting (lets go ahead and admit the phyx guys are likely better at their profession than outsourced programmers)

so on impact, you dont immediately apply damage, you wait a fraction of a second, then the game looks back simply put: "well the impact happened, now the chassis is traveling at X speed upwards, the lifter is traveling at Y speed still, the difference between the two is energy imparted, calculate that into damage.  It would also really turn angled armor into a thing, since deflecting the force of a hit would result in less damage (not more damage like ra2, where if the weapon keeps spinning it's going to hit you more times and do more and more damage (see DA))

But you're right, crushing/rigidity of the structure wont work (but really, there has only been one "good" hydraulic crusher EVER) the minimum entry for doing damage should be a little higher than ra2, "well I have a weapon on the front and i'm sort of pinning a guy" shouldn't be a free ticket for infinite damage until the weapon breaks off.  You really don't do much damage spinning your wheels against someone with a spike on the front in real life.

simply put, what if instead of having tremendously higher HP, bigger, tougher components had higher amounts of damage reduction.  I have a big half inch thick steel wedge, the first 200 damage of a hit, just doesn't happen, ex: if you do 220 damage, I take 20, if you do 1000, I take 800, ect.  this pushes people more towards bigger weapons and not a million small ones, but would require tighter balance.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #874 on: April 10, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline DeadGenocide

• Yesweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • "Fast and Furious." - Stock Team SPARK
    • UCe_o8LyJBuavehO3pRU5ilg
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #875 on: April 10, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »
WILL THERE BE AGOD?
i'm only a finalist in BBEAMS 7 which was a meme tournament and I just stole a NAR AI bot and made it dense as ****.
and Not Bushido was a thing that happened, I beat the #1 seed despite being #bad seed.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #876 on: April 11, 2016, 04:09:30 AM »
I wonder if bot file editing/ component editing will still be possible in RA3 without having to be a computer genius.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #877 on: April 11, 2016, 04:24:02 AM »
I wonder if bot file editing/ component editing will still be possible in RA3 without having to be a computer genius.
That depends on the file format, if RA3 decides to make the .not file locked permanently into hexadecimal format then we're screwed.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #878 on: April 11, 2016, 07:52:07 AM »
Did they skip QA 3 ?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #879 on: April 11, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//