5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 317138 times)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »
I've seen a lot of great suggestions made, including adding a symmetry button similar to Kerbal Space Program. I think that'd make bot building a lot easier.

Also the possibility of console porting makes me excited. (not that I have a PS4 or XBOne)

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2015, 12:19:05 AM »
I'm like 95% sure this is a troll by someone from GTM
lolwat
Just the way the survey is set out and the questions asked doesn't seem like something a game dev would do, along with the barebones nature of the website, the sh**tyness of the logo and the lack of proper promo material. Not to mention the fact that I don't know why a dev team would continue a series that was shovelware to begin with and has been dead for 10+ years rather than make a new IP.

I mean I really, really hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem likely to me.

I was rather surprised at the survey.  It didn't seem very professional.  Did you notice on the last two questions it said "That wasn't supposed to happen" and "Sorry, totally missed that" at the top?

I still think this is way too elaborate to be a prank (looking at the email exchanges earlier in this thread), but it does raise some concerns about the amount of effort they're putting into this game.

Regardless, I put in my ideas on the survey.  I made sure to mention what I feel are the most important game mechanics missing from RA2, in the "What question should we have asked" part:

What game mechanics/features would you like to see?  Answer: Multiple linkages on components (i.e., link two wheels with a chain, strengthen frames with crossbeams); distributed shock damage (i.e., hitting an armor plate can damage components it is attached to); bots can collide with themselves (so you can make gears and levers); ability to create custom components, arenas, and AI opponents.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »
this whole thing is just so odd
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mould

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2015, 06:45:51 AM »
I feel like the game is going to be extremely dead on arrival type of thing. I don't really trust the dev to pull this off whatsoever in any light that could be considered a good game in 2016, unless they have investors or a decent publisher which are going to allow them to have a budget to hire some great devs, which I suppose could possibly happen given battlebots is a thing right now, but I still think the chances of this game being any good are very slim, given gabriel interactives portfolio contains basically nothing

Offline ecolusian

• care to spare a chromasome for this poor sperglord?
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Keeping TRB in check since 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2015, 08:35:42 AM »
I don't know, I think this game will be made and will be very good. I mean why would anyone restart a franchise that's been dead for years if their wasn't any passion put into it. if they were going to pull off something bad they would have just made a new IP rather than use an old one. I do fear this could end up as a duke nukem forever kind of fiasco especially considering they were very late to deliver us the first scrapes of info about the game in December rather than the summer they promised. Unless their Australian I sense some development hell going on here.
"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I\'m not sure about the universe" -Albert Einstein
*IF YOU ARE NEUTRAL IN THIS SIG BUSINESS PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG*

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »
I still think the chances of this game being any good are very slim, given gabriel interactives portfolio contains basically nothing

I heard one of their games still has a small following despite everything though so youknow, can't be all bad?
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
They would have to be trying pretty hard to not make a better game than robot arena 2. That game was basically broken but we loved in spite of its flaws and sometimes because of them. It at the very least it should have better physics than robot arena 2. The only way I could see theme ruining it is making it less customizable.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »
Well, it will probably be fun to break for a week even if the game ended up sucking, unless they took out building entirely.

Offline Mould

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2015, 02:38:25 AM »

I heard one of their games still has a small following despite everything though so youknow, can't be all bad?

Yeah it does but, the problem with that line of thought though is, that's mainly because the game is good concept-wise, not so much because the game is in itself actually good at all. In terms of all the parts that make a game, soundtrack, graphics, online, physics, single player, level design. It's all pretty dreadful. It's kept a following purely on the basis that it's the only one of its type on the market, not because the game is well made.

The issue is, if the game only has a concept to offer, it's not early days anymore. That's not enough to justify many people buying it. It's a total given that almost everyone that still goes on this board will play it. It's a given that I'll play it, but that's not enough for a game, and just making it better than RA2 isn't nearly enough to not make this a commercial flop. That's the only point I'm trying to make here. I'm saying obviously in your eyes or my eyes the games gonna be great, but do I expect GI to be able to make this good for a slightly wider audience, which they need, it's pretty hard to imagine they will, since they've made nothing but farming simulators basically.

Offline Jarvis_Rapture

• Rep: 3
  • Proud cynic and Featherweight roboteer
    • MicroGravity100
    • View Profile
    • Team Rapture
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
I mean why would anyone restart a franchise that's been dead for years if their wasn't any passion put into it.
To cash in on the revived series of Battlebots
Team Rapture
#ErickoningSeries2
RPM (BW) - 1st place @ Whitwick 2015

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
I mean why would anyone restart a franchise that's been dead for years if their wasn't any passion put into it.
To cash in on the revived series of Battlebots
We have a winner.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2015, 09:20:09 AM »
The questions about making RA2 cross-platform kind of make me nervous. In the email, they said that they had a working concept for the bot lab and, if experience has taught me one thing, they should have figured out the platforms before starting anything. Time is money and they will almost certainly run out of both if they aren't careful. Ideally, you want to program in a language that will allow you to re-use as much code as possible without making the game feel sluggish or out of place on any of the target platforms. Jumping from desktop to mobile is not an easy task. Also, keep in mind that this game is currently set to be released in 2016 and if they strain themselves too thin, the game will have a lot taken out on the cutting room floor.

I was also a little disappointed that the survey lacked questions about modding. I think they should be focusing their efforts more on making this game easier to mod and customize. As long as they do that, fix a few physics bugs, and don't take any significant steps backwards, I think the game will be a relative success.

If they can build a strong modding community, they can focus on adding less superficial things (bots, components, or arenas) and more things that we won't be able to do ourselves.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Also, keep in mind that this game is currently set to be released in 2016 and if they strain themselves too thin, the game will have a lot taken out on the cutting room floor.

They are likely planning on releasing near the end of the next season of BB

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »

Yeah it does but, the problem with that line of thought though is, that's mainly because the game is good concept-wise, not so much because the game is in itself actually good at all. In terms of all the parts that make a game, soundtrack, graphics, online, physics, single player, level design. It's all pretty dreadful. It's kept a following purely on the basis that it's the only one of its type on the market, not because the game is well made.
Sooo, exactly like RA2.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »

Sooo, exactly like RA2.
I think that's the joke.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
Most money grabs these days are android/iphone based, thus the tremendous number of questions based around what platforms you own/want/ect.

I'll be surprised if this isn't a mobile device game imported to other platforms.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2016, 08:33:57 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hmm the reflection on the logo is literally just of a random picture of a street, I'm kinda worried on this game's budget.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2016, 01:31:17 AM »
http://www.robotarena.com/

Thank you to those of you who took the Robot Arena survey. We received over 1,500 responses and are humbled by your support, thank you!

We are happy to see that much of the work we are doing now reflects what you would like to see in a new Robot Arena.

While we won't be able to do everything on your list...

More Wapens
Pinapleeessssssssss
Emergency babyyyyyyyy
Nintendo Virtual Boy version
Floppy Disc version
Klingon or Romulan translation

Your feeback will help us focus the remaining development on the areas that you want to see in RA3.

We look forward to sharing more details with you in 2016!

:laughing
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2016, 04:06:19 AM »
emergency confirmed !

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2016, 05:34:38 AM »
I absolutely love how they are joking about this like lunatics. It reminds me of I List It Later in a good way.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.