Author Topic: Commentator mod?  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Jamessugar

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Commentator mod?
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:15:19 PM »
I don't know whether this has been suggested or done in the past.

Has anyone though about making a commentator pack for RA2? Would it even be possible to do? it would make a nice change to have some sort of commentary (even just generic phrases), compared to the yell of the crowd.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Commentator mod?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
It has been suggested in the Robot Wars mod, dunno if there was any advancement thought. Sounds like a good idea, but IMO it's taking the RA2 out of RA2.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
I'm not really sure it's possible to add commentary as in talking about what happens in-game, like the old RW games.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:47:57 PM »
I feel like you'd need to create a custom .py (Not even sure if AI or Arena) to facilitate that. And it'd have to be really clever.
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
Like Trov or Serge

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:23:14 PM »
I feel like you'd need to create a custom .py (Not even sure if AI or Arena) to facilitate that. And it'd have to be really clever.
You can just change the crowd and announcers sounds in the Sound folder to something else.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »
You can just change the crowd and announcers sounds in the Sound folder to something else.
This, you can also add custom ones like Click did fir the small arena.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
For something really basic, sure. But for something like the RW video games where it recognises bots and recognises instances of individual weapons falling off 'n' stuff?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
LETS KICK THIS MATCH INTO GEAR
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »
Actually, there was a bunch of files inside the announcer folder which were unused and they probably were going play along with some of the hazards hitting you and/or your opponent whenever necessary. Some I can remember from the top of my head were "Bot pancakes anyone?" and "I should've brought marshmallows to this cookout!" They probably would've played whenever you got attacked from the Hammer in the Half-Circle Arena/Octagon's Hammers and the Flame Grills in the Bridge of Doom/Tabletop respectively. In fact, some of these sound clips were edited in and used in the .py's for some of the arenas in DSL 2.1, but they were only the Electric hazards. I guess this isn't what you're looking for because it requires manual editing inside the .py's, but I think it's the closest thing you may get to a Commentator Mod pack.

*Not quite sure on any of this.*

Offline HereticBlue

• Rep: 22
  • Team Immersion Robotics
    • View Profile
    • Team Immersion
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 04:00:08 AM »
I've been slowly replacing what commentary there is. Can't really add any to the battles... Unless you want it to repeat constantly. (and trust me the robot wars live theme on repeat is bad enough)

Commentary does get damn annoying in my opinion. 10 minutes of hearing Jonathan repeat the word carnage and you want to put your foot in your own ears.
Team Immersion - Vulture, Amnesia, Amnesia 2, Halcyon, Hysteria and many commissions!

https://m.facebook.com/teamimmersionrobotics/

Offline Jamessugar

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:29:59 AM »
I know it would be complicated to do. I thought i might be a good idea

But like you said the trouble is it will get very repetitive no matter what you use

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »
I think you could do it in a way that wouldn't seem repetitive but you would almost have to add the code to every arena for it to be in relation to hazards. It wouldn't be that hard to keep track of components on bots but, if you want to know when weapons a fired, it would have to be part of the AI. Comments like "I didn't think motors were optional" when a bot loses a motor would be pretty easy to add for all bots in all arenas if you added the monitoring code to Arenas/__init__.py.

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
I think you could do it in a way that wouldn't seem repetitive but you would almost have to add the code to every arena for it to be in relation to hazards. It wouldn't be that hard to keep track of components on bots but, if you want to know when weapons a fired, it would have to be part of the AI. Comments like "I didn't think motors were optional" when a bot loses a motor would be pretty easy to add for all bots in all arenas if you added the monitoring code to Arenas/__init__.py.
this has given me the greatest idea i have had of all time

Offline Jamessugar

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
this has given me the greatest idea i have had of all time
Well if you manage to achieve it feel free to share