Author Topic: ROFL AI previews.  (Read 7661 times)

Offline kill343gs

Re: ROFL AI previews.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »
I think you may have to reduce the number of vertices or that may lag like heck. Most of the wheels in RA2 aren't even close to actually round.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
I think you may have to reduce the number of vertices or that may lag like heck. Most of the wheels in RA2 aren't even close to actually round.

Well, if they weren't close to round, the bot would not drive smoothly. Its just the collision box that isn't round.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 05:53:04 PM »
1) RA2 doesn't give a damn about the display mesh - it could be a million-vertex piece of art, as long as your computer handles it you're fine.
2) Wheels are a different beast - there's not only a collision mesh (which does collisions), but also a traction mesh, which tells the game if the wheel should have any drag (based on the fact if it's colliding with any other mesh, like the floor). The traction could be a cuboid, it wouldn't really do any bad apart the fact the sometimes the wheel would drag more and sometimes less, since the radius changes a lot more ( (sqrt(2)-1)/2 * 100% to be precise) compared to a, let's say, 8-sided cylinder.

Also, I just reformatted my system HDD, so I won't be able to do any RA2-related stuff for a couple of days, until I get Windows installed (OS X only ATM, and I love it).
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org