Poll

Since they tied, should I use the BBEANS V2 Arena and the Ring Arena for seperate brackets?

Yes.  Use both.
0 (0%)
No.  Use the BBEANS V2 Arena.
3 (60%)
No.  Use the Ring Arena.
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 05:58:48 PM

Author Topic: Throwback Throwdown - Signups  (Read 9069 times)

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Throwback Throwdown - Signups
« on: October 01, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »

Credit to Silver and Firebeetle for making T-One and Blue Moon respectively

I've been thinking it through, and I notice that many people have classified DSL-S as a dying race and it's now an endangered species (Okay maybe not so much that last part).  Every DSL-S tourney that comes around these days, are just looking bland, uninteresting, or just containing IRL bots.  It's not DSL's fault, but it's what we classify what is considered good nowadays.  So this is what I plan on doing, if this will be one of (if not) the last competitive DSL tournaments in ever, let's end it where it began.  Shall we?   :mrgreen:

GENERAL RULES:
- DSL 2.1 HW
- Unlimited Entrants (But I'd like 12 Entrants Minimum).
- I'm willing to AI if you are not able to, but don't complain what I AI'd your bot
- A full IRL bot can be allowed, but I severely insist you don't if you don't want to be at an unfair advantage.
- You cannot enter unless your bot are received and accepted.

BUILDING RULES:
- Bots must obey the Realistic Rules
- Heavyweight bots only (Minimum: 399.1 - Maximum: 800.0 kg)
- You cannot use BFE, AAM, Hax, txt file editing, etc.
- No cheatbot2 or custom components at all.
- Smart Zones will not count toward weight, but you cannot use them to act as a ballast
- Crawlers and One Wheel Drive bots are banned.
- Interchangeable weapons and forms are allowed, but you MUST PM me what form you want to use in the match. (or I will select it depending on the match up.)
- I will only allow bots that are the best of your ability.  While Jokebots, replicas, IRL style bots, etc. are allowed I wouldn't recommend it.  (Please make it clear.)
- Once your bot is accepted, you can only send an update once and only once.  Whether it is minor or major.

Multibot Rules:
There will be some special portion for multibots if you wish to enter them.  Here's how it works:
  • The maximum number of multibots allowed is 2.
  • The combined weight of both both bots must stay within 800.0.
  • Bots can weigh differently as long it does not go over the weight limit.  For example, you could send a MW multibot at 250.0 and 550.0 kg.
  • Both bots must defeated by KO, TKO, WBP, or a Forfeit to move on.

BOT RESTRICTIONS:

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned anything about the Standard ruleset for DSL.  This is the main attraction for this tourney.  Remember those times where DSL wasn't bombarded with Flail HS's and Razors?
I plan on avoiding those types of bots here since that's what DSL-S is relying on nowadays.  Here is a list of what can be used and what can't be used:

Chassis:
- The Dimensions of your chassis must have at least 16 full baseplate grid squares contained.  Multibots can have less, but ONLY if they're combined to equal 16 squares total.
- The Trov Glitch is banned.

Power:
- Ant Batteries are banned.
- You can use the Intercooled battery packs, but only a maximum of 2.

Extenders:
- Axle Mounts for Flails are banned.  Yep, Axle Mounts will have more uses than just weapons this time.
- Baseplate Multi-Extenders are banned.
- The CarbonFiber and Polycarbonate Extenders are allowed as long as you only use 40CM of each, other than that, they're banned.
- Metal Hinge Wedges are banned.  You can use the Metal Hinges, but not for wedges.
- Skirt Hinge Wedges are allowed as long as you use a minimum two of the three attachment points.
- You cannot use the DSL discs as armor.
- Narmour is banned.

Mechanics:
- Motors with long Axles are banned.
- You cannot use the Angled Attachment points on the Perm motors.  (Example of what I mean.)
- No attaching Baseplate NPC motors outside the chassis, or in other words: This.  E-teks are fine though.
- In pure flippers and popups only, BSG Motors are banned.

Wheels:
- Ant Wheels are banned.
- Casters are not allowed for armor.
- You can have a minimum of two wheels and a maximum of four wheels.

Weapons:
- The BFFF Flamethrower is banned.
- You can only use a maximum of eight of each component that's 14 kgs or less.  (Steel Shark teeth don't count in this category.)
- If you are entering a popup, you can use ONLY six of components that's 14 kgs or less.

Extras:
- Attaching Half-Plates directly to the baseplate of your chassis is prohibited.
- Small & Emergency wedges can only be used for pure flippers or as armor.  Any other use is banned.

BATTLE RULES:
- 1 vs 1 match format
- 2 minute length matches
- Best 2 out of 3
- Double Elimination Bracket
- BBEANS V2 Tournament Arena (Reskinned)
- Judging will determined by the damage points at the end of the match
- The Top 4 ranked bots that isn't the Champion or Runner up will participate in a 4-way Rumble.

Restart Rules:
The rules about restarting the match will be a little more clear this time. More than one of the below criteria can happen and not penalize you. If once, that bot gets a Free Restart. If Twice, that bot will forfeit the match if any of the following criteria occurs:

-Havok Restart: The bot does a Havok Explosion which costs the match for it's opponent.
-Second Chance Restart: If the loss was from being pinned, (i.e. getting stuck for a reason) But I will only restart if:
  • A)It still has controlled movement.
  • B)It has enough battery life for it to actually matter.
  • C)The control board warning is not is on yellow or below.
If none of the above is met, then the first match will be the final result of the match.

My Entry

SIGNUPS:
1. RedAce - Metal Smashin'
2. Thrackerzod - EAT RANDOM MUSHROOMS
3. Wolfsbane - Flipper From The West
4. Sage - Death of Angles 3
5. DeadGenocide - Not Bushido
6. Lightning S. - Questions
7. Squirrel_Monkey - Ohm's Law
8. Naryar - Black Moon
9. Mystic2000 - Radiant Storm
10. Craaig - Fat Fever
11. 090901 - EVIL SONIC!!!
12. Clickbeetle - Nuclear Arms Race
13. battledutchman - AngryKillerWhale
14. Geice - Tentacle Assault
15. Bobyasianboy - Nigel

(No limit on entrants)

Black - Recieved
Oange - Accepted
Green - AI'd
Blue - Experiencing an Issue (You will be notified)
Red - Not Acepted (You will be notified)

Deadline: February 24, 2016 12:00 AM EST
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:00:39 PM by RedAce »

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Throwback Throwdown - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
250.0 + 650.0 = 900.0

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
- DSL 2.1 HW

I'll watch though. :P

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »
Don't use the phrase "Realistic rule applies". Makes it sound IRL. Say "DSL Standard realism applies" instead.

Also, extremely interested.

Edit: Upon further examining of the rules, they are way too restrictive for a DSL Standard tournament. I see the idea behind banning the overpowered components, but then it's not really DSL Standard anymore.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
seems interesting, i may enter

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
since people seem to be interested i might as well enter a joke bot  :mrgreen:

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »
I see the idea behind banning the overpowered components, but then it's not really DSL Standard anymore.
Exactly!   ;)

Also, I couldn't really come up with a better term than "Relasitic" and that was pretty much the norm back then for determining DSL-S tournaments before IRL was a thing.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
I see the idea behind banning the overpowered components, but then it's not really DSL Standard anymore.
Exactly!   ;)

Just restrict the use of overpowered components. Don't ban them all together.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
Tell me when signups are open.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »
Fixed any spelling errors and patched up a couple other things.  Along with what the Skype Chat has offered, what changes do you think made to the ruleset?  I am very curious.

Edit: Also, some arena suggestions would be nice.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:29:36 PM by RedAce »

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Also, some arena suggestions would be nice.
I put up a poll for what arenas you think I should use for this tourney.  Remember: If you voted other, you need to specify for it to count.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »
You got about one more week to decide for an arena.  This will be my last time to warn you about the rules.  So if you want to fix something, say within these 7-8 days.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
Hmm, it seems that we have a tie for arenas.  I'm not really sure on how I could incorperate this, but I got an idea on how to make it interesting.  I could use both and one arena would be used for the Winner's and Loser's bracket.  But in case you don't like that idea, I'll make a new poll with that idea, or you can vote for the ones to break the tie.  I'll make sure this one doesn't end in a tie this time.

Also, a couple more rules are revised and/or added and a logo is up.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
Loving the logo!

I'd just do a tie breaker between the two arenas that won because it will give other people that voted for an arena other than the top 2 a chance to vote on their favourite of the top 2 (assuming there were 3 or more arena choices, I can't remember.)

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »
Alright, I got some good news and some bad news for ya.

Offline cephalopod

Re: Throwback Throwdown - Signups
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Credit to Silver and Firebeetle for making T-One and Blue Moon respectively

I've been thinking it through, and I notice that many people have classified DSL-S as a dying race and it's now an endangered species (Okay maybe not so much that last part).  Every DSL-S tourney that comes around these days, are just looking bland, uninteresting, or just containing IRL bots.  It's not DSL's fault, but it's what we classify what is considered good nowadays.  So this is what I plan on doing, if this will be one of (if not) the last competitive DSL tournaments in ever, let's end it where it began.  Shall we?   :mrgreen:

GENERAL RULES:
- DSL 2.1 HW
- Unlimited Entrants (But I'd like 12 Entrants Minimum).
- I'm willing to AI if you are not able to, but don't complain what I AI'd your bot
- A full IRL bot can be allowed, but I severely insist you don't if you don't want to be at an unfair advantage.
- You cannot enter unless your bot are received and accepted.

BUILDING RULES:
- Bots must obey the Realistic Rules
- Heavyweight bots only (Minimum: 399.1 - Maximum: 800.0 kg)
- You cannot use BFE, AAM, Hax, txt file editing, etc.
- No cheatbot2 or custom components at all.
- Smart Zones will not count toward weight, but you cannot use them to act as a ballast
- Crawlers and One Wheel Drive bots are banned.
- Interchangeable weapons and forms are allowed, but you MUST PM me what form you want to use in the match. (or I will select it depending on the match up.)
- I will only allow bots that are the best of your ability.  While Jokebots, replicas, IRL style bots, etc. are allowed I wouldn't recommend it.  (Please make it clear.)
- Once your bot is accepted, you can only send an update once and only once.  Whether it is minor or major.

Multibot Rules:
There will be some special portion for multibots if you wish to enter them.  Here's how it works:
  • The maximum number of multibots allowed is 2.
  • Both bots must stay within 800.0.
  • Bots can weigh differently as long it does not go over the weight limit.  For example, you could send a MW multibot at 250.0 and 550.0 kg.
  • Both bots must defeated by KO, TKO, WBP, or a Forfeit to move on.

BOT RESTRICTIONS:

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned anything about the Standard ruleset for DSL.  This is the main attraction for this tourney.  Remember those times where DSL wasn't bombarded with Flail HS's and Razors?
I plan on avoiding those types of bots here since that's what DSL-S is relying on nowadays.  Here is a list of what can be used and what can't be used:

Chassis:
- The Dimensions of your chassis must have at least 16 full baseplate grid squares contained.  Multibots can have less, but ONLY if they're combined to equal 16 squares total.
- The Trov Glitch is banned.

Power:

Extenders:
- Axle Mounts for Flails are banned.  Yep, Axle Mounts will have more uses than just weapons this time.
- The CarbonFiber and Polycarbonate Extenders are allowed as long as you only use 40CM of each, other than that, they're banned.
- Metal Hinge Wedges are banned.  You can use the Metal Hinges, but not for wedges.
- Skirt Hinge Wedges are allowed as long as you use a minimum two of the three attachment points.
- You cannot use the DSL discs as armor.
- Narmour is banned.

Mechanics:
- Motors with long Axles are banned.
- You cannot use the Angled Attachment points on the Perm motors Example
- No attaching Baseplate NPC motors outside the chassis, or in other words: This.  E-teks are fine though.
- In pure flippers and popups only, BSG Motors are banned.

Wheels:
- Ant Wheels are banned.
- Casters are not allowed for armor.

Weapons:
- The BFFF Flamethrower is banned.
- You can only use a maximum of eight of each component that's 14 kgs or less.  (Steel Shark teeth don't count in this category.)
- If you are entering a popup, you can use ONLY six of components that's 14 kgs or less.

Extras:
- Attaching Half-Plates directly to the baseplate of your chassis is prohibited.
- Small & Emergency wedges can only be used for pure flippers or as armor.  Any other use is banned.

BATTLE RULES:
- 1 vs 1 match format
- 2 minute length matches
- Best 2 out of 3
- Double Elimination Bracket
- BBEANS V2 Tournament Arena (Reskinned)
- Judging will determined by the damage points at the end of the match
- The Top 4 ranked bots that isn't the Champion or Runner up will participate in a 4-way Rumble.

Restart Rules:
The rules about restarting the match will be a little more clear this time. More than one of the below criteria can happen and not penalize you. If once, that bot gets a Free Restart. If Twice, that bot will forfeit the match if any of the following criteria occurs:

-Havok Restart: The bot does a Havok Explosion which costs the match for it's opponent.
-Second Chance Restart: If the loss was from being pinned, (i.e. getting stuck for a reason) But I will only restart if:
  • A)It still has controlled movement.
  • B)It has enough battery life for it to actually matter.
  • C)The control board warning is not is on yellow or below.
If none of the above is met, then the first match will be the final result of the match.

My Entry

Hopefully, I've covered everything.  Please post any of your thoughts that you think I should change in the rules.  This is supposed to be going back to the good ol' days of BBEANS2.  Where the choices of today in the DSL-S metagame wasn't even popular.  I will need to be critiqued on this one.  The restrictions aren't perfect.  Other than that, I think it's good.  I'll post my provisional entry once everything is good to go.  Let me know if I do need to change the main rules though.

This is now a signups topic and the rules above must not change. You have 9 months. :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Thanks again Craaig.

Signups open, you know the drill.

I don't have a deadline announced as of now, but I will keep it open for quite a while.  Just be aware of it when it does come around...

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
I have received Thrackerzod's bot and it's accepted.

Edit: It's now AI'd and ready to go.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:54:32 PM by RedAce »

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 05:40:58 AM »
BBEANS 2 was the first RA2 tourney I ever saw, and so I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Think I'll cook up something today and send it in later on.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 07:44:53 AM »
I find this tournament interesting, but I don't like some of the rules. (And yes, I realize it is signups and it is too late to discuss rules)

I fully understand that those are supposed to stop people from building uber tryhard bots such as walls of razors, or ultra fragile flail SnS composed exclusively of carbon fiber extenders. And that's a good thing. I like the ban on casters, invulnerable armor, flails, ban on tiny chassis, and even the ban on "moar razors".

But some rules just limit creativity and force us to waste weight, apparently just for the sake of oldschool. That's not a good thing.

i have issues with those exactly, the other rules appear good and worthy.
Power:

Extenders:

Mechanics:
- You cannot use the Angled Attachment points on the Perm motors

Wheels:
- Ant Wheels are banned.

Extras:

why 4 wheels max ? what about rammers ? rammers have always used lots of wheels and motors.

why ban ant wheels ? it's not like NPC fast/ant battery isn't better than npcf/techno or npcf/hypno...

why ban ant batteries ? they're the only good battery in dsl, so we just end wasting weight. Or are we all supposed to build beta flippers/ beta hammers /clamps ?

banning multiextenders wastes a bit of weight as well, and really ME's are no longer a problem with a ban on tiny chassis. Or just ban the large multiextenders so people don't have invulnerable attachments outside the chassis.

why ban battlepacks ? they're not even that good due to low electotal.

_____

anyways large hiatuses aside i'll try to enter. i wish there were more people interested though.