Author Topic: Should we run all 2017 tournaments as part of a forum wide league? [Inactive]  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
Seeing as we are currently underway with a massive growth, with an official Gametechmods Championship tournament, should we for the next year create a league? Take all the tournaments hosted for 2017, and make it so that Major League Host tournaments give 3 points for 1st place, 2 points for second, and 1 point for third place, then make Minor League tournaments equal 2 points for 1st palce and 1 for second.

(i need to go to my next lesson at school, but here's a very rough idea, let's just talk about it? will edit this at around 4pm with better ideas.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:38:56 PM by yugitom »
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Should we run all 2017 tournaments as part of a forum wide league?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
A very extremely similar idea like that came to my mind, however, if you make minor league tournaments worth less, it may decentivize people actually entering minor league tournaments. Although, I would like to do something like this. I'm happy to hear anyone's thoughts on this and possibly implement them in the future.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
all major league tournaments, yes. and hosts should be able to opt-out for tournaments with stupid gimmicks that aren't competitive like irl LUL
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »
I honestly, support this.
A little iffy on the minor league tournament rule, though.
Maybe we should have a poll at the beginning of each tournament (Maybe right before moving to sign-ups) that asks whether or not it should be part of the league.
I have several opinions.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
It would be easier for a prospective host to simply ask me whether or not their tournament is okay to be considered for the league. Perhaps I could put a minimum quota for tournaments so gimmicky tournaments are exempt and people know what they have to do to get their tournament recognised for the league.

Offline Probably Rob

• The Forgotten Obscure Orgasmic Mime
  • Rep: 10
  • You might want your lips around my silent chorus
    • RobotMPire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
Yeah, I'd prefer it if a tournament host was to ask permission for their tournament to be apart of the league in question

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
What would these points be used for?
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »
Bragging rights.
Respect.
Ect.
I have several opinions.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »
You could also possibly get a cheeky ribbon (or something along those lines) next to your name kinda like how the winner of GTMCS will get. Prizes could be considered but I'd imagine ideas for prizes would run out fast and there'd have to be at least one for every metagame, especially if GTMCS goes on yearly.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
You could also possibly get a cheeky ribbon (or something along those lines) next to your name kinda like how the winner of GTMCS will get. Prizes could be considered but I'd imagine ideas for prizes would run out fast and there'd have to be at least one for every metagame, especially if GTMCS goes on yearly.

I'd say that would work. Also, maybe have them able to get reserved spaces in future major/elite tournaments that are expected to fill fast? Possibly being capable of reserving a space in 2 tournaments per season victory, and 1 for the runner up?

A very extremely similar idea like that came to my mind, however, if you make minor league tournaments worth less, it may decentivize people actually entering minor league tournaments. Although, I would like to do something like this. I'm happy to hear anyone's thoughts on this and possibly implement them in the future.

I would say have 3 levels of tournament: Elite, Major, Minor. Elite tournaments are tournaments sponsored by the mods/admins, such as GTMCS. There should be 2 over the course of the year IMO. These tournaments would not have gimmicks, as being an elite tournament should be the incentive/gimmick. Also, i'd tie the challenge board titles into this by making elite tournament winners eligible for an immediate title shot at the champion of their choosing. (tbh we kinda need to overhaul the entire challenge board title system as well, to make that more meaningful.)

Major tournaments would be allowed minor gimmicks at the discretion of mods, such as a wildcard or a bracket system outside the norm, or playing a meta that isn't usually done: for example, unrealistic DSL or Ironforge. (this is just brainstorming, not fully planned out ideas, btw.) Minor league hosts can request to have tournaments bumped up to major league status if the mods feel that they are successful and trustworthy enough, the tournament warrants major league status, and/or if the host has already successfully completed a display/personal tournament.

Minor league tournaments would either not count towards the main league, or would only give a small amount. I honestly don't know with these, they seem like they could be scrapped.

Another setup would be to have Major tournaments be sponsored by GTM mods and have double the points on offer than Minor,  (4 for 1st place, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd for major, and Minor: 2 pts for 1st, 1 point for 2nd.), and then bump up the restrictions on major tournament hosting till most hosts are minor, and then GTM mods pick the very best tournaments for Major status. Then, take the top 4 of the league, plus any winners of the GTMCS (depending on what metas are played), and run them against eachother in a All-Star single elimination tournament to decide the ultimate champion of that year. If there is overlap between top 4 and gtmcs, fill the rest in with the highest ranking (in the league) challenge board title holders.

Sure, these seem over complicated, but that's why I made this thread so we can streamline this all down into a beautiful league we can all get behind.

I'll post in the challenge board thread with some ideas on how to restructure that.
What would these points be used for?

These points would be part of a league involving all members of GTM. Think of it as the Premier League/Bundesliga/MLS/(Other Soccer League) of RA2, or the NFL/NHL/MLB of RA2. It would mainly give bragging rights, but would be something to fight more for and give a bit more of continuing status for members. Which sounds better: "I won a tournament back in 2014" or "I was the GTM League winner of 2017." The second one makes all tournaments matter, and gives a bit more meaning to winning a tournament as it will become integral to a league victory.

Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
The hierarchy of tournaments you propose still doesn't solve the issue that people just won't want to enter minor league tournaments and, even if they did, I'd imagine that entries for said tournaments would be re-entries,  as no-one wants to go to too much effort for a less meaningful tournament. I say leave major, minor, elite, whatever out of this, as that is simply the status of the host. The only reason minor and major hosts exists is so we know which hosts have experience and we can trust to get a tournament done. Leaving certain people in-charge of major tournaments over minor tournaments may make some hosts just give up trying.

I think that all tournaments should count for the same, perhaps possibly increasing the amount of points one could received from winning GTMCS, in order to increase turnout/keep turnout consistent.

I don't think the all-star thing is something that could be achieved because there'd just be too much going on in the tournament section by that point. This idea needs to be built around the current tournament system in order to increase tournament turnout. It shouldn't exist to create more high profile tournaments, as that is a different issue that can be easily solved (if we ever wanted more), especially considering how everyone was on-board for GTMCS.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »
The hierarchy of tournaments you propose still doesn't solve the issue that people just won't want to enter minor league tournaments and, even if they did, I'd imagine that entries for said tournaments would be re-entries,  as no-one wants to go to too much effort for a less meaningful tournament. I say leave major, minor, elite, whatever out of this, as that is simply the status of the host. The only reason minor and major hosts exists is so we know which hosts have experience and we can trust to get a tournament done. Leaving certain people in-charge of major tournaments over minor tournaments may make some hosts just give up trying.

I think that all tournaments should count for the same, perhaps possibly increasing the amount of points one could received from winning GTMCS, in order to increase turnout/keep turnout consistent.

I don't think the all-star thing is something that could be achieved because there'd just be too much going on in the tournament section by that point. This idea needs to be built around the current tournament system in order to increase tournament turnout. It shouldn't exist to create more high profile tournaments, as that is a different issue that can be easily solved (if we ever wanted more), especially considering how everyone was on-board for GTMCS.

Hmm. Perhaps have 1 tournament per 3 months that is worth more, so a quarterly major tournament, then all other tournaments are regular, regardless of Major or Minor host status? We can ditch the Elite, Major and Minor thing.

I think we should also revamp the Challenge Board, because the titles there are currently meaningless as anyone can challenge for them at any time. I suggest having people able to select 2 out of 4 titles to challenge for: Stock, DSL, Ironforge, Retooled. Then, they can win challenges. We can reboot the rankings systems, and every 3 months have the top 2 ranking in each meta have a number-one contender's match: best of 3, with either both players agreeing on the meta (standard, irl or unrealistic, except for stock obviously), or a moderator making the decision of which meta to play if an agreement cannot be reached. Once that is done, the winner of that match can challenge for the title. They would do this by having a mini tournament of a LW, MW and HW best of 3: The LW's would have a best of 3, the MW's would have a best of 3, and the HW's would have a best of three. The player with the most wins in each weightclass becomes the new title holder.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »
League should be split by metagames and also any league tournament should have unlimited entries to make sure everybody has the chance to enter.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
How would points be awarded if a tournament uses multiple builders on a team? Or multiple entrants by a single user?

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 07:10:45 PM »
Those types of tournaments may simply not be allowed to contribute towards the league. Like I said before, there'd have to be a minimum quota that all tournaments would have to abide by if they wanted to contribute.

League should be split by metagames and also any league tournament should have unlimited entries to make sure everybody has the chance to enter.
I agree but the problem would be that minor hosts would not be able to contribute to the league, in that case. That's another disincentive to even participate in a tournament run by a minor league host.

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »
We should

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
Maybe it's time to re-jig the Minor/Major scheme then. Same rules for everyone that can prove they can run a tournament by AIing like 4 robots and filming/uploading some 1v1 matches.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15