Author Topic: NORMIES VS FREAKS tournament  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Venko

NORMIES VS FREAKS tournament
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:14:43 AM »

First, I want to say "thanks" to Mr. AwesumSauce, which agreed to be my AIer.

Everyone, these are the final rules, so make sure that you will "sponge" every word of them :

- MW (max 399.0 kg without the smartzones) stock ONLY;
- The bots CAN be with an underweight;
- All AI parts ARE ALLOWED, EXCEPT the 140 cm red and square extenders, the beta redbirds and etc. beta game components;
- "cheatbot2" IS NOT allowed;
- Custom parts ARE NOT allowed;
- Realistic rule DOES NOT apply;
- Normal building with normal glitches ALLOWED (no AAM, no BFE (except for the skinning or the armour shine) and no "Hax mode");
- You are NOT ALLOWED to manipulate/BFE the chassis dimensions in any way;
- The new 090901 uberstack (mostly, stacked stuff inside the motors) is NOT ALLOWED;
- Multibots are NOT ALLOWED;
- PLEASE, make some nice skins for your bots;
- You CAN use DSA;
- The bots MUST be built within the default max sphere, ONLY the moving components can pass thru it, but NOT too much, if a static components pass it, it will be considered cheating;
- Bots that cannot be controlled by humans (only by the AI) ARE ALLOWED;
- You MAY NOT update your bots once they are sent, except if there is a problem with them, so choose wisely;
- Bots that can crash the whole RA2 game are NOT ALLOWED;
- Totally weak bots, even worse than SFTW, with not even a theoretical chances of winning, ARE ALLOWED;
- All the rules apply for the both 2 main categories of bots;
- These ARE the 2 main categories of bots :
1. Normies :
All regular bot types that are allowed everywhere, they MUST show a controlled movement (the crawlers and the 1 WD HSs can be normies or freaks, depending on how controlled they are, bots that cause Havok explosions are still normies if they show controlled movement).
Basically, the normies are the Rammers, Popups, Hybrids, "Cheap Norris" type bots, etc.
2. Freaks :
They MUST NOT show a controlled movement, they can sit still without moving, can be a bumple ball, can cause havok explosions on purpose, can be AGOD-ed heavily, can have stucked components into the walls, basically, any cheap tactic you can think of.
Basically, the freaks are the Trinity flyers, Nasty pickles, no WD Gyro drillers, Multi piston glitchers, Piston movers, Walkers, etc.
EVERYTHING you can think of, feel free to go wild with this rule, however, the dealing with the OOTA and the countdown is still your problem;
- You CAN enter with : one normie bot in total, or with one freak bot in total, or with one normie and one freak bots in total, but NOT with 2 normies in total, or with 2 freaks in total.
So, maximum 2 entrants per author.
If you want a better chance to win, then better start building one normie and one freak bots;
- I and Mr. AS will be judging, which bots from what main category are;
- A 2 bots from a same author CAN be in a same group, and they will fight each other as an independent participants, and can even eliminate themself;
- Since there are a lot of good AIers around, I will prefer if you AI your bots by yourself, or at least put the smartzones and rename the controls.
Of course, that if you can't AI, Mr. AS will AI the bots, but you must have at least an idea of like what bot type your bots must be AIed. Send notes about the AI-ing of your bots with the bots PMs.
It will be a lot harder with the freaks, but together we will find the best way to AI them.
- All matches will take place ONLY in a reskinned "Ant latenight Rumble" arena with the hazards OFF :

- ALL matches will be 2 minutes;
- There will be NO restarts due to havok explosions or whatever (so the havok explosions are now a legal part from your tactic), I will record what happened from the first time;
- An uneven total number of bots is NOT a problem;
- ALL the battles will be a 4 bots "Battle royal"s "free for all" style;
- EVERY match will be filled with up to 4 bots with this bye bot :

394.3, DSA, 4 pinks, 10 x 10kg ballasts, invertible, AIed as a rammer, armour shine, very fast
- I will not try TOO hard with this entrants :
http://www.2shared.com/file/3KfMw9jv/host_bots_for_NvsF.html
Password :

fYD%98*)(Kf:P"::>kfIU$RD$diLlfnR##E@po{{f,ploFKufijPf;UYT%;'PO&$637673HIDPp2pl.dfl.v

- All bots will be randomized (in a real hat) into the groups BEFORE EVERY ROUND;
- There will be NO Loser's bracket;
- EVERY round there will be a 3 matches for every group/heat, when the "Match result screen" come up, the first bot on it will get 3 points, the second 2, the third 1, and the last one "will drink a glass of cold water" only.
After that 3 matches in the group, the points are summed, and the first 2 bots wins by points and qualify for the next round, the 2 losers are totally eliminated.
This scheme will be for all the matches and rounds.
If there are more than 2 bots with a same amount of winning points, they all will qualify for the next round, or even win the tournament;
- The bye bots CAN win and eliminate (humiliate) entrants, but they will not qualify for the next round, and the next round will not have any bye bots if there is no need for this.
Also, if in the prevous rounds there were no need for a bye bots, and in the next there is, a bye bots will be included allways to fill up to 4 bots, so no way for a match with less than a 4 bots;
- The winner WILL GET the new texture pack and the reskinned arena, the second place WILL GET ONLY the texture pack. The CHAMPIONS MAY NOT release any of the prizes (or a part of them) to the community under any circumstances, any leaking will lead to punishments.
The final preview of the texture pack :
- If in the final match there are any 2 bots from a same author, they WILL be nerfed to give the others a better chance.
I will BFE the armours and make them twice weaker (the weight, the armour shine and the skins are preserved) as follows :
Plastic         80 > 40
Aluminium 100 > 50
Titanium    150 > 75
Steel         175 > 87,5
DSA           200 > 100;
- A same person CAN win first and second place with 2 bots;
- Some of the bots MAY become a part of the Mr. AS AI;
- Mr. AS will send me his bots before everyone else and after I post my entries, and he will not be able to change them anymore, then he will start any AIing work or see any of the other bots;
- There will be unlockable achievements during the fights, but just for fun, I will not give or take any points for unlocking them;
- If I win something, I will share as it follows :
1st           = share the arena
2nd          = share nothing
1st & 2nd = share all the prizes.

Instead of seeking for a loopholes and arguing with me, just try to ask nicely if you don't understand something, or you just are not sure about is something legal or not.

black  = the entries are accepted and OK with the rules, but not AIed yet
green = the entries are AIed and totally ready
red     = there is a problem with an entry, and the author needs to contact me
N        = normie
F        = freak

- N,F - Venko
- N,F - Mr. AwesumSauce
- N,F - J
- N,   - Mechadino
- N,   - ianh05
- N,   - 090901

The signups are closed !
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:12:53 PM by Venko »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: NORMIES VS FREAKS tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
will check these rules later

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »
The Arena skin looks awesome.

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
Hmm, reckon this'll be worth a shot!

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
I will start the sign ups VERY soon, when my entries are ready.

Anything, that I'm missing guys?
Just this...
When 3 places are open within the Tournaments in Progress (for Entry Level tournaments) all Discussed Entry Level tournaments with a Green Tick will be added to a 5 day poll.

In this thread, I proposed some possible rule changes but they still wouldn't guarantee you a spot in signups any time soon (especially since I haven't implemented them yet).

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
When 3 places are open within the Tournaments in Progress (for Entry Level tournaments) all Discussed Entry Level tournaments with a Green Tick will be added to a 5 day poll.
aka: wait until may 8th or until i finish around the world (which should be in a week or two at the most).

i plan on entering this as well with 1 freak/1 normie. maybe a reg wedged rammer and a freak NCR trinity sns.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
aka: wait until may 8th or until i finish around the world (which should be in a week or two at the most).
It takes you 1 to 2 weeks to edit videos?  :dumb)

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »
It takes you 1 to 2 weeks to edit videos?  :dumb)
you obviously dont realize how lazy i can be sometimes. :dumb)
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Venko

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
^ Offtopic warning!

Wait a..., so people can't make any tournaments when they decide anymore?
I need to wait just so I can be voted "may I start it"?
What's next, Hitler for a president?
Who came with this "brilliant" idea and when?
*very hard facepalm*

Offline ianh05

• Rep: 4
  • Stock AW Builder and Tourney Host!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
It's been this way for years now, sometimes you don't need to go through a vote if there's a lack of tournaments.
Check out my UI Improvements topic for stuff like longer team/bot import lists:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13324.0
How to make awesome splashes with paint:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13310.0
My showcase filled with antweights:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=1595.0
How to AI: For newbies (with pics!):
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13814.0
Best tournament results:
Tag Team Challenge and CombatAnts 3: runner-up
Around the World: 3rd place.

Offline Venko

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
And the reason for all this "max at 6 tournaments" is...?

Offline ianh05

• Stock AW Builder and Tourney Host!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
I think there are a couple of reasons:

1. Stop the tournaments no one wants getting through.
2. Get more entries into tournaments that matter.
Check out my UI Improvements topic for stuff like longer team/bot import lists:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13324.0
How to make awesome splashes with paint:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13310.0
My showcase filled with antweights:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=1595.0
How to AI: For newbies (with pics!):
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13814.0
Best tournament results:
Tag Team Challenge and CombatAnts 3: runner-up
Around the World: 3rd place.

Offline Venko

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
I think there are a couple of reasons:

1. Stop the tournaments no one wants getting through.
Can the people just not enter,
2. Get more entries into tournaments that matter.
and they to decide what to enter and what not?
And what is the problem so the tournaments must be fixed to a certain number? What if there are many good ones?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 03:06:42 AM »
It helps generate a good flow of tournaments also, because sometimes a lot of people will propose tournaments and then there will be none for ages. Creating this flow with the limits means there isn't as much downtime. But it's a valid question to ask when you're used to the old tournament ways, to be fair. Took everyone a while to adjust.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 03:16:56 AM »
Kinda' skimmed the thread, and sent a bot anyway.
(Well, I sent it hours ago, but still.....)

Offline Venko

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26:41 AM »
Some stuff updated in the rules ^
I want to apologize, that I'm not happy with the rules around here again, but I like to fight for what I think is right.
But dude, what if I have time to make it now, and not after 2 weeks?
Also, I made all the stuff for the tournament in 1 day, and wanted to finish it (after the signups are closed) in 1 week, do I look like an unserious guy that it will abandon his tournament?
Also, IMO at least the limit must be 6 for stock and 6 for DSL...
WARNING, this is a VERY NICE discussion, don't screw it up...

Offline Venko

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »
Did you even AI my bot to be a SNS? It didn't spin once in the entire fight and just rammed the walls.
Sylandro not just have a problem with his AIing, he even dared to record the video and upload it.
And this guy is in the "6 allowed quality tournaments", but I must wait for months?
What's next, having to wait to post my bots, 'cos too much (6) people are posting good bots, and I must spread the bot showcasing in the time with a good flow?
I can list a lot of reasons why this rule sux, but it seems, that in here "the sense" is not in charge.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
The complicated tournament rules were first instated by JoeBlo back in 2010 after we received an insurge of people that wanted to host but were unable to follow through. It worked in preventing tournament bailing but it also made starting new tournaments harder (which is why I've been working on a new system and why I linked the other thread). Tournament bailing has picked up quite a bit in the last year but it is nowhere near as bad as it was before the rules. Another benefit of the system is that it has distributed the number of active tournaments throughout the year so that we don't have as many dry spells. As it stands, the system also takes quite a bit of effort to maintain so simplifying it is one of my goals.

Nobody is denying that the rules need a makeover but, as I've already stated, work is being done on it. Sylandro got into the active tournaments list because the poll was lacking entries (something that I was unable to prevent). Also, the only way that we could have prevented anticipated a problem with Sylandro's tournament would have been if we made the hosts jump through more hoops (your argument seems to suggest that you want less hoops for hosts).

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
it isn't

Offline Venko

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »
@ Nar : Since, you already read the rules, you could make a 1 or 2 bots for this (some old bot is OK too).

@ MD : It's not allowed, I hate "Hax mode", I will go and make the rules more clear then. So, just enter then.

@ Trov : You get me wrong, I don't want more or less "hoops", I want the rules to stop messing in my personal spare time in which I will made this tournament. As a main argument against the rules, I will tell, that the host must decide when he have the needed time to make it happen, not the rules. When was the last time you entered a stock tournament, I think that, it's a time for you to build something again for a this one.