Author Topic: The Natster's rarely updated stock showcase  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Natster's stock showcase... an update? Are you on crack?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
I would switch to 2WD and maces. There aren't that many weapons on it right now.

Complex spinners are difficult, so it's nice to see someone build one.
** Latest reply ever **
thanks, although I don't play stock that much I will try to

Anyway, did I do gud

Plastic armour, thoughts?

Offline I Like Tacos

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Natster's rarely updated stock showcase
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 11:06:36 PM »
You don't need the red extenders if you put the baseplate anchors close enough to the edge.

Also, if i were building it, I would keep the chassis a rectangle shape. Put the motor baseplate anchors in front of or behind the battery, rather than to the side of it.

That should save some weight for dsa armor, and maybe more weapons.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 04:53:08 AM »
needs a cleaner chassis, extender work and another razor.

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 07:46:22 AM »
Right, I might make a thread on this to be clearer.

basically, its my theory that starcore got better at building by making the starcore v.1 ai pack, then making other bots to challenge them, getting better every time.

So in my head, I thought that if this worked for starcore, it might work for me.

I'll be honest here, as I've gotten a bit more mature(well, kind of) stock has opened up to me, so, I decided I'll follow starcores example and make my own ai pack, and honestly, aren't things better when they are diverse? I will call it HTS ai and hopefully people will enjoy it.

As well as offering the community something, it will be a huge learning kerb for me as it's obvious my skills are crap in stock and I find it difficult to stack and things like that. And it's better to be gradual than n00b-M4STER OF ST4AKzZ

Well, here comes the criticism

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »
Good luck is all that can be said. Until you put out any actual content there will be doubt.

As for the bot, if you wanna go wedged lw I would use a blue snapper. Wedge game is hardly a topic in lw because all the bots a lw hammer should beat won't have wedges anyway, eg Hs and rammers. It's a toss up for popups but good luck getting under a pop up with that high center of gravity anyway. That's why hammers like turn down for what focus on defense and the hammer than a wedge.

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Good luck is all that can be said. Until you put out any actual content there will be doubt.
Thanks scrap, nice to hear :)

As for the bot, if you wanna go wedged lw I would use a blue snapper. Wedge game is hardly a topic in lw because all the bots a lw hammer should beat won't have wedges anyway, eg Hs and rammers. It's a toss up for popups but good luck getting under a pop up with that high center of gravity anyway. That's why hammers like turn down for what focus on defense and the hammer than a wedge.
Hmm, after working on some bots for HTS ai, I will have a crack at it

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
When trying to create something original for HTS ai, I came up with this thing:

Needs moar of something, it was an experiment and it has dsa, needs a skin to match the name

feel free to clone it, pretty sure kos can make an insane St4kzY version

definately not my best

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
Samurai swords are not exactly a great weapon in stock (unfortunately), so my advice would be to use them as some sort of cool front armour, using razors for the popup weapons themselves.
The spinning blades are also not going to help with the effectiveness of the design, so maybe consider using a blue snapper to have two RADs with tribars and razors on them, or something like that. You might be able to get more weight to do this if you make the chassis smaller by stacking some of the blacks (if you can face it :P).
I haven't played stock in a while, so the better stock builders can probably give you some better advice.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
Samurai swords are not exactly a great weapon in stock (unfortunately), so my advice would be to use them as some sort of cool front armour, using razors for the popup weapons themselves.
The spinning blades are also not going to help with the effectiveness of the design, so maybe consider using a blue snapper to have two RADs with tribars and razors on them, or something like that. You might be able to get more weight to do this if you make the chassis smaller by stacking some of the blacks (if you can face it :P).
I haven't played stock in a while, so the better stock builders can probably give you some better advice.
It was just an experiment to see whether I could make a weird hybrid thing as I said, and I don't think there's enough time for me to implement the changes (well there aren't enough hours in the day)

Offline NeighImACarrot

• Flame Lord
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: -4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Couldn't you have eFFe'd the samurai swords into each other removing the need for 2 of the snapper 2's, and also you used a DDT for the wedge but snapper 2's for the motors, why would you do that
Tournament Stats:
Winner of Natural Selection.
Winner of All Stars
GTM Awards 2K15:
Least Friendly and Kind
GTM Awards 2K14:
2nd in Least Friendly and Kind
well its because I have High Functioning Autism
"I hope Jaydee dies off with his tournament" -KOS
"I couldn't talk until I was 5 1/2" -Ecolusian

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
Couldn't you have eFFe'd the samurai swords into each other removing the need for 2 of the snapper 2's, and also you used a DDT for the wedge but snapper 2's for the motors, why would you do that

A) for some reason effe doesn't work for me, no idea if there's something I'm doing wrong
B) Don't ddt's make better wedges? that's what I read

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »
WTF is this?

The spinning part is going to hit nothing, and those Samurai Swords will do squat to literally any Stock HW.
It's underweight, underprotected, and the chassis is too big,

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
It was just an experiment to see whether I could make a weird hybrid thing as I said
I hate to say it but it's not a "weird" hybrid at all, it's just a badly made HS/Popup hybrid.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
this bot needs to be cleaner, more protected, less extender work and it needs actually to be a good hybrid not something that makes no sense such as a single HS/popup.

basically, its my theory that starcore got better at building by making the starcore v.1 ai pack, then making other bots to challenge them, getting better every time.

So in my head, I thought that if this worked for starcore, it might work for me.

yup you got it right

make sure to make your pack interesting and USEFUL to the community though. If you do all this work it's better to release a pack that people will use.

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
Ok, I think it's time for a tiny rant

Since when in ra2 did you get sent to the slaughterhouse for building something fun? It quite clearly states it was an experiment, so there's no need to be assertive about it, I just thought of an idea, and built it, and thought it could be done better by other builders, as stated in my original post. Since when was it a sin to muck around and see what can be done, and tbh I'm not one of these venko types in the bot lab who takes decades, I have other things to do

[\rant mainly directed at Kurts post]

It doesn't help the fact that I can't get any bloody sleep as well, IRL issues, don't ask
- well my blood pressures lowered thanks to the magic of the kettle and tea bags (inb4 goes in OOC), now, it was never going anywhere anyway, it's pretty bad but I wanted it to be in the style of a ninja

And, also, (it's probably rubbish compared to your standards), I've made an ok gutripper FS, will post tommorow.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:32:13 PM by Natster-104 »

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »

Since when in ra2 did you get sent to the slaughterhouse for building something fun? It quite clearly states it was an experiment, so there's no need to be assertive about it, I just thought of an idea, and built it, and thought it could be done better by other builders, as stated in my original post. Since when was it a sin to muck around and see what can be done, and tbh I'm not one of these venko types in the bot lab who takes decades, I have other things to do

I think it's the nature of the building style. Stock is all about efficiency, so if you build something inefficient, people are going to criticise you for it, and some more harshly than others. You shouldn't let people put you off doing what you want to do, though, else you'll never have any fun.
Almost everyone who commented on your bot gave you some advice to make it more effective. You can choose not to take the advice, if you don't want to, but remember that advice was posted for a good reason, to help you make your bot more effective.
It's late-ish and I can't be bothered to proof-read. If I said anything that sounded like I was attacking you or whatever, it was entirely unintentional.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »

It doesn't help the fact that I can't get any bloody sleep as well, IRL issues, don't ask

ohsh** he did it

naryar novel about how much you should be able to take criticism in 3....2....1....
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

I think it's the nature of the building style. Stock is all about efficiency, so if you build something inefficient, people are going to criticise you for it, and some more harshly than others. You shouldn't let people put you off doing what you want to do, though, else you'll never have any fun.
Almost everyone who commented on your bot gave you some advice to make it more effective. You can choose not to take the advice, if you don't want to, but remember that advice was posted for a good reason, to help you make your bot more effective.
It's late-ish and I can't be bothered to proof-read. If I said anything that sounded like I was attacking you or whatever, it was entirely unintentional.
Nah it was mostly directed at kurt, he annoys me because he almost speaks in a superior manner:
WTF is this?
Almost immediately indicates that the bot is rubbish and almost confused as to what it is, we all started somewhere, you know
The spinning part is going to hit nothing, and those Samurai Swords will do squat to literally any Stock HW.
It's underweight, underprotected, and the chassis is too big,
Positive constructive critisism is better rather than just stating the things that need done, naryars was perfect, just the right tick I between constructive, positive, stern and kind at the same time

Maybe it's just me

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
>kurt
>superior
>stock
>any year

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
WORDS B^U
But everything in Kurt's post was legitimate advice, even if he wasn't exactly the clearest about it. It seems that you had weight left over, so you slapped a spinner on top and said "that oughta do it!" Even after that you STILL have something like 60-70kg left but that's beside the point. The spinner on top is pointless and tacked on.

What you should do, is plan out a design before you go and build the actual robot, so you don't end up with a random chassis with components in it. Eventually you'll just memorize the weights/rough dimensions of all the components and be able to make a tight enough chassis in a few tries, but for now work on figuring out how to reduce the amount of empty space in the chassis and how to properly implement what you want into this design (in this case, figure out how to lower the spinner so it actually hits things).

this post was a good use of 10 minutes

>kurt
>superior
>stock
>any year

Please do not abuse imageboard quoting feature.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.