Author Topic: "Foul Language"  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
"Foul Language"
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:33 AM »
Foul Language — It is generally seen as bad and it may get you into trouble if you use it too often. GTM has members of all age groups and you shouldn't assume that they grew up under the same circumstances as you. Be polite and use words that won’t offend people. Search engines, like Google, also see it and it negatively impacts GTM’s SEO score (resulting in less visitors). For this reason, it is not sufficient to obscure foul language using asterisk or depend on the word filter. Warning will be issued with increasing severity if you can't control yourself.

Is this actually something that's enforced anymore? If you do a forumwide search for "sh**" or "****" (just two examples of foul language since this rule is really vague), you'll find multiple examples of people using foul language on the main forum and the mods not batting an eye to it. If this rule's isn't actually in effect then that's fine, it was stupid anyway tbh. The actual rules page itself should be updated to reflect that though.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "Foul Language"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:58:52 AM »
Yeah, stupid rule.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »
Well, it's been one of the less enforced rules.

We ARE working on a new ruleset, however, and as far as we've go, the new ruleset will include a possibility to warn for excessive foul language. Like if you drop a few f-bombs each day, you will get warned for it.

Kinda like the offtopic rules.

It won't be a big offense, though, most likely.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
The staff admittedly hasn't been that on point as far as the minor offenses go. In the past week or so we've been working on ironing out the kinks on revamping our warning system and the ruleset that goes with it in order to ensure that all staff members are on the same page and working at the same level across the board in preparation for the influx of new users and/or increased activity when RA3 drops. Most of the credit this time around goes to Naryar for taking the time to break everything down. We should hopefully be finished up ironing it out and have it rolled out soon.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »
Foul Language — It is generally seen as bad and it may get you into trouble if you use it too often. GTM has members of all age groups and you shouldn't assume that they grew up under the same circumstances as you. Be polite and use words that won’t offend people. Search engines, like Google, also see it and it negatively impacts GTM’s SEO score (resulting in less visitors). For this reason, it is not sufficient to obscure foul language using asterisk or depend on the word filter. Warning will be issued with increasing severity if you can't control yourself.

Is this actually something that's enforced anymore? If you do a forumwide search for "sh**" or "****" (just two examples of foul language since this rule is really vague), you'll find multiple examples of people using foul language on the main forum and the mods not batting an eye to it. If this rule's isn't actually in effect then that's fine, it was stupid anyway tbh. The actual rules page itself should be updated to reflect that though.
Thank you for making this thread.

The SEO score thing is what has me on the no-cussy-cussy. I don't know how much 1 or 5 or 10 examples of foul language affects the seo score, but christ, by association, saying "hurr no one cares **** you" about that rule and the SEO score is saying "no one cares about attracting people to this site" which, admittedly though I do next to nothing here except for do argumentative posts like this, I'd like to think I want to see this place grow beyond having like 5 users online at one time per day.

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Fair does, didnt know about this SEO thing to be honest.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
The staff admittedly hasn't been that on point as far as the minor offenses go. In the past week or so we've been working on ironing out the kinks on revamping our warning system and the ruleset that goes with it in order to ensure that all staff members are on the same page and working at the same level across the board in preparation for the influx of new users and/or increased activity when RA3 drops. Most of the credit this time around goes to Naryar for taking the time to break everything down. We should hopefully be finished up ironing it out and have it rolled out soon.
Anything you come up with will pretty much boil down to whatever Nary feels like doing, since hes the only one who's ever actually active.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
Anything you come up with will pretty much boil down to whatever Nary feels like doing, since hes the only one who's ever actually active.
how about you wait to see those rules before you bitch and judge them as "whatever Nary feels like doing" ?

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »
how about you wait to see those rules before you bitch and judge them as "whatever Nary feels like doing" ?
bitch
Screw the foul language rule, I'm guessing?

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
bitch
Screw the foul language rule, I'm guessing?
rekt

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »
not censoring the word in quoting it is just as bad as saying it as far as the SEO scoring is concerned, I think.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
Okay guys again we are carefully watching this thread. Quit with the troublemaking or warnings will be heavily dealt.
Bitching is a highly borderline word and this is something we need to iron out.
As for Jaydee, quit with the edge.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
Personally, I think if people were being muted left, right and centre for swearing, it'd scare off just as many people as if the forum was full of people swearing like sailors, so I believe that there should be SOME restrictions, but not massive restrictions. So, I kinda agree with the warnings for excessive cursing.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 05:05:26 PM »
As for Jaydee, quit with the edge.
Lel but that's my current gimmick, I have nothing else to do on here...

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 06:12:48 AM »
Craaig's note: Meister 2 was spamming again before this message. It has been moved away, but elements of the conversations that followed can be considered relevant.

no, there is nothing to add to that, hence why i wonder you guys are posting offtopic.

and TRB, we don't need backseat moderating. we take care of stuff, if you have something to report use the report post function.

^^ lol and I call myself edgy

As for you, you should really cut it. We told you to be careful what you say and do after you invited this troll to Gametechmods and thought it was "funny" that he would spam and post BS... so MAYBE you shouldn't continue to make that kind of posts.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:00:52 PM by Craaig »

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 06:25:47 AM »
no, there is nothing to add to that, hence why i wonder you guys are posting offtopic.

and TRB, we don't need backseat moderating. we take care of stuff, if you have something to report use the report post function.
Who's "we" exactly? Kill and Craaig don't do diddly squat anymore, and all you do is bash newbies and mute people you don't like. So that leaves....Thyrus maybe?

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:21 AM »
Just so you know, Meister2's IP corresponds to Jaydee's main IP... There seems to be something there.

Who's "we" exactly? Cuz the way I see it, Kill and Craaig don't do diddly squat anymore, and all you do is bash newbies and mute people you don't like.

Yes, we are all working together to work on a new rule system, we have new, fast ways to communicate between moderators, and Trov is busting his ass on reworking the forums.

You know nothing of what's happening.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:40 AM »
does it really matter if we swear on this forum

like can you give me an example of a time where mild swearing has affected an SEO score or whatever because i really don't buy into this bullcrap

people will come here because it's literally the only site for robot arena. other than that i dont think any other site traffic matters if they arent here for that

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 07:48:25 AM »
Who's "we" exactly? Kill and Craaig don't do diddly squat anymore, and all you do is bash newbies and mute people you don't like. So that leaves....Thyrus maybe?

No we're all still here. Not a lot is going on for us to act on right now...
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
Just so you know, Meister2's IP corresponds to Jaydee's main IP... There seems to be something there.

Who's "we" exactly? Cuz the way I see it, Kill and Craaig don't do diddly squat anymore, and all you do is bash newbies and mute people you don't like.

Yes, we are all working together to work on a new rule system, we have new, fast ways to communicate between moderators, and Trov is busting his ass on reworking the forums.

You know nothing of what's happening.
Then y'all need more transparency cuz just claiming that you're all secretly working hard doesn't mean you actually are, and from our end, it looks like either nothing gets done or it gets done in the most autistic way possible.