Author Topic: Da Mekboyz  (Read 20617 times)

Offline Phoenyx

• Rep: 0
  • Finally using my official Avatar
    • pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Da Mekboyz
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »
but your 1/2 horse motor puts out only 50w more than your standard 550 motor...

Which is why I sent it back.
  :SFTW

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »
Alright... I'm considering an E-Tek Mars PMAC Brushless Motor for my weapon motor. Would you say its a good choice?

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 12:29:05 AM »
Alright... I'm considering an E-Tek Mars PMAC Brushless Motor for my weapon motor. Would you say its a good choice?

Honestly, if you're going to spend all that money you should really reconsider your entire plan... You've got a wheelchair frame with some angle iron bolted on and you're planning on strapping an etek to it... You could take all that money, order a whole set of parts, build a decent frame, get good wheels, etc.

If that one etek you buy breaks you're screwed. Build something that will be easier to fix when it breaks. It's for combat, it WILL break.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 12:29:13 AM »
Very nice motor, but why not get an original E-tek instead? Then you can just use a meaty solenoid and a battle switch, and you would be in business.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 05:03:34 AM »
Honestly, if you're going to spend all that money you should really reconsider your entire plan... You've got a wheelchair frame with some angle iron bolted on and you're planning on strapping an etek to it... You could take all that money, order a whole set of parts, build a decent frame, get good wheels, etc.

If that one etek you buy breaks you're screwed. Build something that will be easier to fix when it breaks. It's for combat, it WILL break.

I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Honestly, I don't really care too much if this first one gets trashed. It's a prototype, and I will be mothballing it after a few tournaments to build something better, even if it somehow gets a good win record. That's why I decided on going the cheap route with the frame.

Very nice motor, but why not get an original E-tek instead? Then you can just use a meaty solenoid and a battle switch, and you would be in business.

Because I prefer the lower maintenance of brushless motors and am more familiar with the tech behind them. Granted brushed motors are simple in comparison, but I guess I'm just addicted by the shear power of a brushless motor. It's also cheaper than the E-tek R, and the original E-tek was discontinued. After the initial startup cost, the MARS PMAC would actually be slightly cheaper to replace.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
Battle switches suck. I ran one in Phoenix last year and it nearly killed me because it defaults to 'open' when it isn't receiving power or a signal from the receiver. This can create a very dangerous situation when you can't disable your robots weapon. On top of that, they don't like large shock loads and tend to fail in combat.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »

I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Honestly, I don't really care too much if this first one gets trashed. It's a prototype, and I will be mothballing it after a few tournaments to build something better, even if it somehow gets a good win record. That's why I decided on going the cheap route with the frame.
what hes saying is that youll get more out of your bot and your money if you tone down the motor and toughen the frame
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
what hes saying is that youll get more out of your bot and your money if you tone down the motor and toughen the frame

Look... I can only work with what I have. I'm not Team Whyachi, and I end up having to scrounge around for things. The chances are pretty slim that I will find a decent weapon motor for a good price - I've already had to give up one because it didn't meet my requirements. If I had got the same Pride Mobility Products gearmotors new as the ones already mounted to the wheelchair chassis, they would have cost me more than I've already spent. The wheelchair the frame came out of was an older Quantum - Pride's top-end model at the time, and I was lucky to find that thing for around $100 at a used furniture store. I've spent another $600 or so getting it moving under radio control. It's been sitting in my garage for a while collecting dust, and I just want to get it finished so I can have something to throw into the arena and get some experience driving while I start to work on something more competitive.

Does everything absolutely have to be top-tier, world-championship winning material here?

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
Just let him build the robot he wants to ffs. Even if he gets torn apart in the first eight seconds of a match, this sh** isn't about winning, it's about having fun. If his idea of fun is making something homebrew out of an old wheelchair, let him do it.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Just let him build the robot he wants to ffs. Even if he gets torn apart in the first eight seconds of a match, this sh** isn't about winning, it's about having fun. If his idea of fun is making something homebrew out of an old wheelchair, let him do it.
im all for fun and all but eteks cost loadsamoney and if he breaks it hes essentially screwed out of $1000+ and im doubting if a wheelchair can even handle the force of an etek
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
im all for fun and all but eteks cost loadsamoney and if he breaks it hes essentially screwed out of $1000+ and im doubting if a wheelchair can even handle the force of an etek

If I break it? I know it will get trashed (at least eventually), but I'm not going to be the one who breaks it. If anything it's probably going to be one of the serious teams, like the Redrum or Tornado Mer guys, or maybe Jim Smentowski himself if he still competes with Nightmare.

Also, $1,000 isn't bad for what some people pay to build these things. Most Heavyweights cost around ten times that much, maybe more.

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »

If I break it? I know it will get trashed (at least eventually), but I'm not going to be the one who breaks it. If anything it's probably going to be one of the serious teams, like the Redrum or Tornado Mer guys, or maybe Jim Smentowski himself if he still competes with Nightmare.

Also, $1,000 isn't bad for what some people pay to build these things. Most Heavyweights cost around ten times that much, maybe more.

Uhh I don't think any of those robots have seen action in the past eight to nine years.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
If Smentowski breaks it with anything it would be with Breaker Box, but I know for a fact that Nightmare is still in existence.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »
Nightmare had trouble winning 10 years ago, nevermind now.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
If Smentowski breaks it with anything it would be with Breaker Box, but I know for a fact that Nightmare is still in existence.

Then why wouldn't he drag it out? I'm sure everyone would love to see that thing in action again.

Nightmare had trouble winning 10 years ago, nevermind now.

It still got the fastest KO in Battlebots, and I don't think anything has really beaten its record in RFL.

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
lol nightmare never fought in the rfl

Offline SKBT

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Dude Nightmare is done. Electric Boogaloo is the new vertical to worry about...

do you have any concept of time. most of the robots you're afraid of haven't fought in 8 years.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
Dude Nightmare is done. Electric Boogaloo is the new vertical to worry about...

do you have any concept of time. most of the robots you're afraid of haven't fought in 8 years.

It's not that I don't have a concept of time, it's just that I didn't really keep up with what happened to a lot of these machines. A lot of the sites I used for information have been down since 2006.

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »
You should probably make yourself up to date with modern competition....unless you plan on using a time machine and competing in 2003.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
You should probably make yourself up to date with modern competition....unless you plan on using a time machine and competing in 2003.

I'll try to get myself up to date on these things. It's hard to stay informed when you look up combat robot on Google and all you get is military support equipment.