Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 192641 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1300 on: January 01, 2020, 09:55:34 AM »

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1301 on: January 01, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
[Changed] When the first part on a rigidbody goes to <0 HP, the previous component is broken off. Everything now breaks off together.
Does that mean that the part with the lowest hp, lets say on a spinner will cause the whole thing to fall off? If so, yikes

Not necessarily, though that could be the case.  It means that when you build a spinner you need to make sure the base part is relatively large and can take a hit.

Otherwise, just like in real life, if you build something tiny and attach a bunch of stuff to the tiny part it will snap the whole thing off.

Edit: You have to actually hit the tiny part to damage it.  If you have a bunch of other things farther out then they are likely to be hit first.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1302 on: January 01, 2020, 12:15:50 PM »
[Changed] When the first part on a rigidbody goes to <0 HP, the previous component is broken off. Everything now breaks off together.
Does that mean that the part with the lowest hp, lets say on a spinner will cause the whole thing to fall off? If so, yikes

Not necessarily, though that could be the case.  It means that when you build a spinner you need to make sure the base part is relatively large and can take a hit.

Otherwise, just like in real life, if you build something tiny and attach a bunch of stuff to the tiny part it will snap the whole thing off.

Edit: You have to actually hit the tiny part to damage it.  If you have a bunch of other things farther out then they are likely to be hit first.
Oh i just figured out what it means. Yeah it works.
One issue throughout the last few builds. IRL, if you break a part of a spinner, like a tooth lets say, the bot would become unbalanced. In the game, if half a blade that weighs... Lets say 15 kilos breaks off, the bot does not get unbalanced.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1303 on: January 01, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
Ooo.  Interesting.  I have a center of mass script I could use for that.  I like it!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1304 on: January 01, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
Ooo.  Interesting.  I have a center of mass script I could use for that.  I like it!
Ya also, is it possible to make an option where the cylinder blur is invisible in the settigns? or atleast opacity settings, because Cylinder Blur can work even with 100%Transparency

Offline 3g

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1305 on: January 01, 2020, 02:09:47 PM »
One thing about the damage system. I've noticed that when you have the motor+gearbox then a wheel, when the wheels come off during the fight they are still attached to the gearbox. But the gearbox should stay attached to the motor and just the wheel should come off.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1306 on: January 01, 2020, 06:51:33 PM »
I've found that with the blur, when a bot slowly approaches my shell spinner, the shell always suddenly stops spinning and gets ripped up. But the problem didn't appear in the 29th build
And sometimes the weapons still get stuck together then the weapon parts would be torn apart.
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1307 on: January 01, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »
Thanks for testing the shell spinner!  Would you mind sending me the .RR2Bot file?  I need to work on spinner bite.

Right now I have oversimplified things and assume that spinners will always come to a complete stop, dumping all of their kinetic energy on a single hit.  For a spinner with lots of angular momentum like a shell spinner this is a bad model of reality.  I need some heavy spinners like your to test with when I make changes to this.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1308 on: January 01, 2020, 08:02:18 PM »
Thanks for testing the shell spinner!  Would you mind sending me the .RR2Bot file?  I need to work on spinner bite.

Right now I have oversimplified things and assume that spinners will always come to a complete stop, dumping all of their kinetic energy on a single hit.  For a spinner with lots of angular momentum like a shell spinner this is a bad model of reality.  I need some heavy spinners like your to test with when I make changes to this.
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1309 on: January 02, 2020, 02:40:32 AM »
I've had an issue for a little while now with one of my bots. There are two parts of its front wedge that I could only practically build by using giant wedge sides that are mostly inside the bot's chassis.
Issue being that when those wedge sides get broken off separately to the main wedge part, they often end up rattling around inside the robot, which results in it having mobility issues even worse than some of my Panic Attack variants due to the way broken parts move.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1310 on: January 02, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
I've had an issue for a little while now with one of my bots. There are two parts of its front wedge that I could only practically build by using giant wedge sides that are mostly inside the bot's chassis.
Issue being that when those wedge sides get broken off separately to the main wedge part, they often end up rattling around inside the robot, which results in it having mobility issues even worse than some of my Panic Attack variants due to the way broken parts move.

Is there a way to re-engineer the robot so that the problem goes away?  Alternatively, is this something that could be solved with special components using the RR2 Component Modding Tool?

I'm hesitant to try to implement a fix when one might consider broken parts interfering with mobility part of the challenge of the game.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1311 on: January 02, 2020, 06:49:52 AM »

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Awesome!  Thank you!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1312 on: January 02, 2020, 07:02:46 AM »
Ya also, is it possible to make an option where the cylinder blur is invisible in the settigns? or atleast opacity settings, because Cylinder Blur can work even with 100%Transparency

I am convinced.  I was playing with min440303's shell spinner.  It is conical in shape, but the blur cylinder is not.  The cylinder performs fine physics-wise but looks absolutely terrible.

Disabling the mesh renderer (visuals) now...

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1313 on: January 02, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »

Is there a way to re-engineer the robot so that the problem goes away?  Alternatively, is this something that could be solved with special components using the RR2 Component Modding Tool?

I'm hesitant to try to implement a fix when one might consider broken parts interfering with mobility part of the challenge of the game.

Possible, but it'll be incredibly fiddly, we're talking millimetre precision here.
I'd be fine if it were just throwing off the weight distribution, but the problem is that once it's detached from the robot, it starts actively and severely resisting all movement of any kind, despite now being completely inside the bot; as in completely incapable of interacting with anything on the outside.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1314 on: January 02, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »
I wonder if it is hitting the wheels and stopping them from spinning?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1315 on: January 03, 2020, 12:11:41 AM »
No. They're at the opposite end of the bot, and on the outside.
It feels like the cause is the weird way broken parts move to prevent them from flying everywhere.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1316 on: January 03, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
I've found that with the blur, when a bot slowly approaches my shell spinner, the shell always suddenly stops spinning and gets ripped up. But the problem didn't appear in the 29th build
And sometimes the weapons still get stuck together then the weapon parts would be torn apart.

I just fixed the issue where when the blur cylinder touches something it gets rid of all of its kinetic energy.  Now it only slows down a little, depending on how much KE was spent damaging something.  A perfectly elastic collision now doesn't slow down the spinner at all.

The bug fix should be up in a new build shortly.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1317 on: January 03, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »
New build coming soon:

[Added] Added on/off buttons to toggle the center workbench in the pause menu, in case it obstructs the view under the robot.

[Changed] Disabled visual representation of Blur Cylinders. I would like to have some sort of indication of blur, but the existing blur cylinders look bad for many robots.

[Changed] The game now asks if the player wants to delete the mirror version of the selected component as well (only if it actually has a mirror version and if it doesn't have other components attached to it). This way people don't have to remove both components one by one.

[Changed] Center of mass of a spinner is now recalculated as the spinner loses pieces.  Spinners balance should now change as spinners lose bits.

[Bug Fix] Rotating bases for robots now use deltaTime to keep them going at the same speed no matter the fps.

[Bug Fix] Spinners no longer come to a complete stop when they hit something.  On a spinner hit, the angular velocity of the spinner is reduced based on the amount of damage dealt to either the spinner or to the target. Damage dealt = kinetic energy lost.

[Bug Fix] When a component breaks off, it no longer takes its motor or pulley with it.

[Bug Fix] If all of the components are broken off of a spinning assembly, the mass of the spinning assembly is set to 0.01 kg, instead of just breaking off the entire assembly. This prevents the assembly from having substantial rotating mass and severely impacting drivability.

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1318 on: January 03, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »
Ooh cool. Could it also be possible to add a button that disables the HUD in a match?
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1319 on: January 03, 2020, 03:45:46 PM »
The 03January build is up!

I'm going to have to slow down after this one.  School starts on Monday!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:30:56 PM by cjbruce »