Author Topic: My various articles on robot combat. (UPDATED 8/24/2014)  (Read 11192 times)

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My various articles on robot combat. (UPDATED 6/21/2014)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »
Humour, wittyness and lots of facts.
I really like it, great stuff  :claping

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
From that same page, here's Rim Tin Tin vs Whirligig

Whirligig(won) vs. Rim Tin Tin

Whirligig attacked early, with his very noisy flailing spin move. He banged on Rim Tin Tin a bunch, and made a satisfying racket, but didn't do damage that I could see. He then changed tactics, and pushed the wheel rim into the wall hard. He alternated back and forth between those two strategies all though the match. Poor Rim Tin Tin never got a chance to show what his new lifting arm could do, since Whriligig moves around so quickly and erratically. It couldn't have done much to a robot that does not know or care what side up it is, and will always have at least one wheel on the ground. Whirliging was probably the worst opponent he could have drawn! The poor bot never had a chance, the only bad thing that ever happened to Whirligig was when he accidentally slammed himself into the wall.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

For a period of years, off and on, I was actually in the journalism field as a gaming correspondent. I had work picked up and published by BitMob and VentureBeat and there was also a period of time where I was being considered for a place at Something Awful though admittedly I lost that to someone else far more talented than me. I continue to make infrequent appearances here and there. I enjoyed doing it, but one thing that I really did not like was the editorial process.

For example, my article Shame is Plastic: 6 Gaming Peripherals of Dubious Quality that was picked up by VentureBeat wasn't actually titled that to begin with, as the "Editor's Note" mentions the original article contained ten items -- four of them were taken out and the entire article itself was copyedited to be more "politically correct". I disagreed with that because that's essentially taking my voice and bending it so that I appear as someone I am not and I hated it.

I don't know if I'll pursue professional writing much. The pay was not great and the experiences I had in regards to editors was relatively poor. I enjoy keeping it a hobby because it allots me much more freedom to pursue topics that I actually care about and give enough coverage that I am satisfied with. I don't want to say I've "given up" on it, but writing is not my dream job or anything, it's just something I'm good at doing. Hell, I have a nice IT job now and not even that is my dream job. I'd much rather dick around with reptiles all day than fix someone's website or write about awful BattleBots for a living. :P
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 03:23:46 AM »
I've watched the Abbatoir video so many times
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »
I am my own worst critic, I did not know it was that good. XD

The original version was fantastic, I guess I was mostly discouraged from having to remove so much of it so it would actually render. It wasn't easy making a 2 minute video out of about 30 seconds of actual robot footage.

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »
Just an update, I've finally retrieved my collection of "MiniBots" toys that I wanted to write about. I am also in the process of securing something pretty awesome that's BattleBots-related that I am remaining tight-lipped about for now mostly because I don't want to hype anything up if I can't deliver on it. I've learned my lesson there. I've spoken to some bot builders from the original BB era and they've checked out the Twilight Foundry site, which has made me incredibly nervous mostly because I KIND OF make fun of robots in some of those articles. D:

Anyways, once I get some free time I would like to put together my MiniBots article. I don't know when I'll have a finished version of that however. Next week I will be largely unavailable since my partner is visiting. I'll get it done eventually. :)

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Sounds good, I'm a bit intrigued as to what this thing you've discovered is

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
Looking forward to a new article whenever it arrives :)
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
these are really interesting to read, keep it up
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »
Anyways, once I get some free time I would like to put together my MiniBots article. I don't know when I'll have a finished version of that however. Next week I will be largely unavailable since my partner is visiting. I'll get it done eventually. :)

This article is pretty much done, however I appear to be missing some of my MiniBots figurines so I've asked my brother to look for the missing ones and send them to me so I can take the necessary photographs. As soon as I get those I'll finalize the MiniBots piece. :)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
Which ones do you need? I know the wiki has a lot of them.

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
Which ones do you need? I know the wiki has a lot of them.

Robots that I am aware of include Ginsu, Frenzy, Bad Attitude, and Ankle Biter. I know the BB Wiki has photos but I was intending to take some better ones since I mention in the article that these are "personal collection" ones. :(

I have an Ankle Biter, however it's still sealed in its package. I kept some of my dupes sealed just because, so I am missing the opened Ankle Biter for sure. I have Ginsu's and Frenzy's stickers so I know that means at some point I had to have gotten the robots as well and I know for a fact I had Ginsu because it was my favorite one.

My collection is pretty much identical to the ones on the Wiki. I do not own any of the bots missing from the list unfortunately, including the chromebots. I always keep an eye out for the toys on eBay but they are exceedingly rare and hard to find. I'm pissy because I'm missing my Ginsu since that was one of the rarest ones (by my math at least, considering I owned only one Ginsu and I personally bought several dozen packs of the MiniBots while they were around).

edit: My brother can't find my Ginsu so I guess I will just finish the article as-is. I'm really pissed off that it's gone missing.

double edit: The description of this auction listing is ****ing hilarious: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-MC-DONALDS-BATTLE-BOTS-ACTION-TOYS-SET-OF-8-TOYS-MIP-/141352611147?pt=Fast_Food_Cereal_Premiums&hash=item20e945ad4b
THIS SET IS FROM THE TV SEIRES IN 2001/2002 THAT WAS CALLED BATTLE BOTS WHERE MEN AND BOYS AND WOMEN MADE ROBOTS LIKE THINGS THEN THEY BATTLE IN A RING IT WAS FUN TO WATCH

WHAT U WILL GET IS A SET OF 8 TOYS ALL MINT IN PACKAGE THERE IS 7 PULLBACK ACTION TOY AND 1 WINDUP ACTION TOY

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE CHECK MY OTHER AUCTION
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:26:07 PM by RFS »

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
Finished up my article about the MiniBots toys. Overall I'm happy with it considering I lost a small number of my figurines somewhere along the line. :(

Here's the article: http://twilightfoundry.com/2014/07/battlebots-minibots-toy-review/

As a bonus, and in case the BattleBots Wiki needs them, here is a .RAR of the high-resolution(-ish) pictures used in the article including a couple dozen extra shots I did not use: http://1cf430cdcfb604c7e722-2ccb14d5afddb3d527fa7490e95bf9df.r23.cf2.rackcdn.com/battlebotsminibots.rar

edit: This site also has a nice promotional picture from Interactive Toy about the figurines:
http://leaf.maple.tripod.com/battlebots/bbextras/bbtoys.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:58:36 PM by RFS »

Offline Lemonism

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My various articles on robot combat. (UPDATED 7/22/2014)
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
Just read the minibots article, and very much enjoyed reading it :)

Some of those battlebots minibots look better quality than the robot wars minibots I own, although there are still some really good robot wars minibots too. I might dig my minibots out and have another look now, to see if they still look up to standard. I remember the pussycat minibot being pretty horrible, but not much else.
Download Mortis.py

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
Nice article, makes me wanna go find my mini bots. I actually remember buying these in a bag of two from kb toys for a dollar. I never bought or havd even seen the three pack.

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »

Some of those battlebots minibots look better quality than the robot wars minibots I own, although there are still some really good robot wars minibots too. I might dig my minibots out and have another look now, to see if they still look up to standard. I remember the pussycat minibot being pretty horrible, but not much else.

Thanks! :3

By all means please do, I've never seen any Robot Wars merchandise. Then again, I've never specifically sought it out but I'm intrigued as to what it's like. :)

Nice article, makes me wanna go find my mini bots. I actually remember buying these in a bag of two from kb toys for a dollar. I never bought or havd even seen the three pack.

See, that's the crazy thing -- the Wiki mentions they were told in packs of 2, 3, and 5. You may have been one of the folks who found the 2 pack but much like what you said about the pack of 3, I've never seen them sold in sets of 2 before. Must have been a regional or overstock-type of situation. It's also very strange that across everyone who's pooled their resources for the Wiki NOBODY has any of the finalists or chromebots which leads me to believe that maybe they had not yet been produced; Interactive Toy may have wanted to get people hooked on the set first and then start including the champions and such.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
I got the chrome Ziggo minibot when I was like 6 years old....and then I managed to break the flag off of it and lose it within 5 hours....woops  :dumb)
Also seeing the picture I took of that Ginsu minibot makes me wanna go find where I put all of them.......

Offline Lemonism

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »

Thanks! :3

By all means please do, I've never seen any Robot Wars merchandise. Then again, I've never specifically sought it out but I'm intrigued as to what it's like. :)
Right, a little digging later and I've found them. I don't think I have them all, but I have most of them. I'll edit a picture into this post once I've found a camera.
Download Mortis.py

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
I got the chrome Ziggo minibot when I was like 6 years old....and then I managed to break the flag off of it and lose it within 5 hours....woops  :dumb)
Also seeing the picture I took of that Ginsu minibot makes me wanna go find where I put all of them.......

Congratulations, you destroyed the only known chromebot Ziggo in existence.  :gawe:

Also, thanks for owning a Ginsu and being able to post a picture of it. I cannot tell you how pissed off I am that I somehow managed to LOSE mine. It was my favorite one. (Knowing me, because of this I probably put it somewhere separate to keep it "safe".)

In other news I am also still diligently working on the "something pretty awesome" thing I mentioned earlier in this thread. It's actually more than one thing -- one of which I am making promising progress on -- and I'm eager to put the articles together when I can. I'm hoping to at least have the biggie completed this year.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:56:08 PM by RFS »

Offline Lemonism

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
Ugh, camera problems meant I only just got the pictures I said I would take. Still, here they finally are. There were more minibots, but these are the only ones I own.
I've also given my personal opinion on every minibot since I don't have a fancy website of my own to put them on :P

Download Mortis.py