Author Topic: WinRar Alternatives  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Stroopwafel

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
WinRar Alternatives
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »
Not entirely sure that this should be in here, but I think that it fits the topic best.

Basically, seeing as you need to uncompress the file in order to play Robot Arena 2 (I think), is there any alternatives to WinRar that work just as well at doing this?

Offline cephalopod

Re: WinRar Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
I don't see why you'd want any alternative to WinRAR but I believe 7zip can do .RAR's too.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »
WinZip, PeaZip, and 7-Zip are all decent alternatives to WinRar. If I had to pick one, I would say 7-Zip is better than the other alternatives but isn't as good as WinRar (which doesn't actually stop working after the trial period ends).

Offline Stroopwafel

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
I don't see why you'd want any alternative to WinRAR but I believe 7zip can do .RAR's too.
WinRar is technically illegal to use after 40 days and I have the worst conscience in the world.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »
WinRar is technically illegal to use after 40 days and I have the worst conscience in the world.

what? I hear that for the first time

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »

Well, youknow, it prompts you asking you to buy it because your free trial is over.
Let's be honest, they can easily patch it, and they haven't, so they don't really care.
Plus... I've never heard of anybody being imprisoned for using WinRAR past the trial ;)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »

Well, youknow, it prompts you asking you to buy it because your free trial is over.
Let's be honest, they can easily patch it, and they haven't, so they don't really care.
Plus... I've never heard of anybody being imprisoned for using WinRAR past the trial ;)

I never read the message that pops up.. I just think its annoying but thats it  :gawe: